Wounded Lovebird

Sammy01; As a newbie I really hate to say something said:
Sorry that ship has sailed. You can't help someone who is really just talking out loud and not listening to others. My mother told me that if I don't have anything nice to say to say nothing......

point is, you HAD the money to go to the vet, yet you didnt take the opportunity.

Yeah I HAD an opportunity, but I couldn't do it because my dad is out of a job. I don't want to take money from his account, money that could go for fixing his truck, or buying something for my Aunt's (May she Rest in Peace) house.

The point is, Nip's is spoiled as anything. My family is tight on money. I'm BROKE as hell. Even I'm in debt and I'm 20 years old! I couldn't afford taking on another payment plan when I already have 3 I'm working on.

It's only the 2nd day after her soak/bath. I know the signs of a sick bird, Nip's isn't sick. As I said its the damn weather in this area! One day its hot the next its cold. But right now the air is dry and crisp because its starting to turn into the fall season.

Just like your lips chap, and your legs/arms/face/elbows require more lotion, a bird's skin becomes dry.

I'm just upset now that I'm the bad guy AGAIN, because I'm trying something that has been proven to work. If I went to the vet before I got the shampoo (and saying hypothetically) I'd probably have her taking different medications. But what if that didn't work? Wasted money on treatment that didn't work. Well now if the shampoo works, then I saved my butt a lot of money.

I'm doing the best I can here. With the little amount of money I can keep for myself, and my birds. Like right now... I have to steal the Quaker Parrots bird seed, because I ran out filling up 3 different bowls every couple of days. (No they don't eat it all they tip the bowl over and dump it onto the ground then proceed to poop on it)

Don't try to tell me what I'm not, because I'm working on a budget of $30 a paycheck and that all goes to gas so I can get to work and get to college. I'm trying to make a living here, at least I'm not homeless with 3 lovebirds.

:green1:

i thought you made $60 in the last paycheck?

fact is, a LOT of over the counter stuff can be deadly to birds, or does not work. you will find that you will be wasting a LOT of money going that route too, when the money you spent on products that may or may not work, could have gone towards testing to find out WHY she is plucking, so she can get the right treatment faster and get her suffering solvd sooner. because as mentioned, she could have a crop infection, which requires medication--NOT petstore stuff. if its a crop infection, no amount of baths will fix that and you will just be wasting more of your funds doing that. you are working blindly here, and the bird is suffering and it's something you can prevent, but for some reason, nothing makes sense here,

also... hate to say it, as i do feel for you, but if you cannot afford to even feed the birds you have and have to ration that badly that you are taking food from the other birds, then you need to think carefully about their well being and make the responsible and kind decision to find them someone who can afford to feed them and get proper treatment.

i'm not trying to be mean, but i am feeling really sorry for your lovebird right now, and i worry about the care of the others if you have to scavenge food like that for them. you say you wont find homes for the lovebirds, but what about the quakers? would it be easier for you to feed your flock and provide vet care for your flock if maybe you downsized?

The Quakers have the same food as my Lovebirds.
My $60 paycheck went to gas up my car, and a full tank is pretty much $35-$40. The Shampoo stuff I bought was $20. And its working, she's not plucking.

My $60 paycheck went to gas up my car, and a full tank is pretty much $35-$40. The Shampoo stuff I bought was $20. And its working, she's not plucking.

I'm glad to hear that it's working.

Have you gotten the cone for him yet? It might be needed as he could consume it if he decides to start plucking again. Hopefully he doesn't. :)

Also, have you been giving him toys to get him to direct his energy to something else? As I said before it can be cheap toys. Sometimes I'd give my love birds paper and they'd come up with so many ways to play with it! :) They'd run under, they chew it, they're pretty creative! :)

As for them throwing their food away, I solved that issue by getting smaller bowls. Someone else on here mentioned that they just wouldn't refill it BUT they had veggies and fruits provided in another bowl so they wouldn't starve.

Also, have you considered a pellet diet? Maybe someone on here knows if they throw their pellets too (I solved that issue before they got pellets). Pellets might seem pricy (my region was more expensive so it cost $16 + tax) but they last. When I had two budgies one bag would last me 3-4 months. Of course you still give them veggies and seeds. You should provide them the smaller pellet size than the bag recommends so there isn't as much waste.

still avoided the question. why cant you rehome the quakers? if you have to take food from the quaker's cage to feed the lovebirds, how can you afford to feed all these birds? and seed alone is not healthy, they need veggies too and pellets as well. feeding birds is expensive. if you cannot afford to even feed your flock, that is not caring for the well-being of your flock, and its not fair to them.

and frankly, it's too soon to see if the bath stuff is working. once those feathers start growing back, is she gonna pluck them again? because if she is truly plucking for a health reason like a crop infection, which is the location she is plucking at, she may pluck again because she has nothing left to pluck right now where it is irritating her.

i dont know, i've said all i will, you can't seem to keep your stories straight here and i'm not sure what to believe anymore. go back and read your posts if you dont understand what i mean. you are even going back and forth over how much on your paycheck.

what do you want from the forum, since you aren't taking our advice, and you seem to know everything already? :confused:

I did ask about Care Credit.... if that was an option for paying vet bills...

I took sometime away from the forums to collect my thoughts. I also gave Nips' her second bath with the shampoo. Now the first picture is from when I started the forums. She isn't that bald anymore, but it's only the second week with the shampoo. Her back was also very bald, and I didn't have a before picture. But the next two pictures are after the bath about 5 days.
Before
5ma68g.jpg

After
Front
2zex8om.jpg

Back
2dio8bp.jpg

Now I have debt to pay back to my family. (Because that's what is important.) But I have a question and I couldn't find it online. Is Crop infection contagious?

If food is shared then yes, it's possible for it to be transmitted. If the infection survives going through the digestive tract and is in the droppings, and the other birds play in the droppings, then yes. If the droppings dry up and start to flake/turn to dust and the infection is somehow still alive and when you go to clean the papers and the dust particles fly into the air, then yes.

This doesn't seem to be a crop infection though.

I'm glad to hear your little guy is doing better. :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a crop infection may be contagious depending on the type of bacteria. I also think it's only contagious for other parrots.

You can help prevent a crop infection with good hygiene and taking away fresh food after around an hour (or when it starts to go bad).

Last edited:
Your still on your first week with the shampoo....It's only been 5 days on the 16th which is the time stamp you posted your reply. I'm sorry but your stories are kinda iffy.....JMO....

I don't use newspapers as the "bedding" in my bird's cages, not even in the Quakers cage. I use Corn Cobbed bedding. But Nips' does share a cage with 1 other Lovebird, and seeing as they have met what could have spared the Crop infection. I'm doubting that it is Crop, but I'm still a novice.

And yes its only the 16th. That's the same date I took those photos, and gave her a bath with the shampoo.

I also have another question, is there some way to put some nasty tasting stuff on her chest area to stop her from plucking the newly grown feathers. You know like when you spray apple bitter on a dogs would for him/her to stop licking?

Corn cobb bedding can be dangerous. If ingested, it can cause crop impaction. If not regularly cleaned, it can cause mold to grow, causing an aspergillus infection.

You could try a spray, but there's no guarantee it would work. One, birds like things that are spicy or sour. Two, spraying anything on the feathers may potentially irritate their skin/feathers more resulting in more plucking, not less.... so you have to be careful of what you do put on them.

I don't want it to seem like I'm saying you're doing everything wrong, but I don't with corn cobbed bedding.

Here's a website that explains why and which type to use:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww12eiii.htm

If you don't feel like reading it all here is the important stuff:

Corn Cobs - Once ingested, corn cobs can remain in the body for years before causing illness or death. Ingested corn cobs absorb moisture and swell, which can cause impaction, bleeding and death. Baby birds can also develop bacteria and yeast infections from the ingested material. When wet or in humid climates, cobs can grow Aspergillus molds which cause a respiratory disease in birds. This disease is difficult to treat and can be fatal. The cobs will also absorb moisture from your bird's droppings, promoting growth of organisms and hiding loose poops. It's a poor material for examining droppings.

Paper Products - Paper products are the safest materials to use for bedding. Unprinted newspaper, printed newspaper, paper towels, any plain paper and even brown paper bags can be used. Paper towels are expensive and very absorbant and are a better choice for chicks. If using printed newspaper, don't use the glossy pages or the pages with colored ink as these inks may contain lead and other harmful chemicals. Paper and paper products are very easy to change and allow you to visibly monitor droppings. They are also relatively inexpensive.

So for your bird's sake, use paper materials to line your bird's cages. NEVER use corn cobs, walnut shells, cedar shavings or kitty litter. Limit pine shavings to nesting material. If a new product comes along, do some research and see how it passes the above criteria before you consider using it.

Paper is not only safer, it is also cheaper. For those of you who don't like the look of newspaper, you can get unprinted newspaper or plain paper in bulk from many sources.

I wouldn't recommend you spray anything on the area. Birds are hardy in some areas, but they're also fragile. Please get the cone. Also, get him different toys. They can even be a pine cone. I remember somewhere I read, "a pine cone a day, keeps the plucking at bay."

If you do decide to give him pine cones, you can either sterilize it yourself or buy them at the pet store. :)

Here's a list of things you can buy at the dollar store to make toys:

Popscile sticks (plain, not coloured)
Wood beads
Wood blocks
Wood Spoon
Wood chunks
Plastic beads (big and sturdy)
Bird safe metal rings
Safe rope or bird safe metal chain
Small golf balls (the type with holes in it)
Straws
Natural food dye (to dye the wood items)

Tools needed:

Power drill
Something to cut the metal chain

Toys you can make:

1D95282F-5BA8-42F7-9B70-52BB556E95BF-38096-00001F7D3CFABFB4_zps8f0f93b3.jpg

854B39EB-D1BE-41F8-95E0-F4A1780C94A2-38096-00001F7D3756270B_zps11bf179a.jpg

I'm sure if you search online you'll find plenty of inspiration. :)

I love the Corn cobbed bedding, because it has a nice relaxing aroma to it. My birds don't eat it though. I don't like the newspapers though because Dino loves to spill the water bowl sometimes, and it just spreads.

My mom has finally seen Nips' condition and her plucking, so now I'm pretty sure my mom is concerned. (About ****in time) I do plan to take Nips' to the vet when my HUGE *** history project is finished. (I need travel money :( for it.) But today she has been focusing on her spray millet more then her feathers which is good.

But this is Nips right after her bath, she is dazed a little. I guess this gives a better view of her tummy.
16apb4j.jpg

Adding on. I can't do the paper material at the bottom of the cage. My birds get very defense when it comes to paper ANYWHERE in the cage (even for bedding) They attack each other. That's why I moved to the corn cobbed bedding. They never run out of food, so I never have to worry about them eating it.

I know sometimes we are tempted to use things on our birds for aesthetic reasons, but we have to remember what's best for them. :)

Is there anyone else who can take Dino to the vet? If not, and you want Dino to be healthy you'll have to sacrifice some thing. :(

I hate to say it, but if you wish to keep him then sacrifice some of your time. If you were in his place and didn't understand the situation, wouldn't you wish for your companion (I hate the word owner) to take you to the vet? Honestly, you are acting like an owner - and not even a responsible owner. You're parents have now given you the means to go twice. Dino is counting on you. You're suppose to care for them as though they're your own children. Would you leave your own child like that?

Adding on. I can't do the paper material at the bottom of the cage. My birds get very defense when it comes to paper ANYWHERE in the cage (even for bedding) They attack each other. That's why I moved to the corn cobbed bedding. They never run out of food, so I never have to worry about them eating it.

Parrots are curious. They're still bound to go and explore and see what it is. I've seen budgies playing with it (chewing on it) at pet stores and their bowls are filled with food.

I hate to say it, but if you wish to keep him then sacrifice some of your time. If you were in his place and didn't understand the situation, wouldn't you wish for your companion (I hate the word owner) to take you to the vet? Honestly, you are acting like an owner - and not even a responsible owner. You're parents have now given you the means to go twice. Dino is counting on you. You're suppose to care for them as though they're your own children. Would you leave your own child like that?

I have to be honest with you. My past isn't a pretty one, I have a chronic back issue now because my mom didn't take me to the doctors when my back first started to hurt. Now I'm only 20 and I already have arthritis in my left ankle, because of how many times I've sprained it and how few times I've been to the doctors for crutches and physical therapy.

I'm really wishing I had more then just the 1 part time job, so I could take Nips to the vet. I'll see how much money I have left after my trip. If its enough for an examination then I'll take her next Tuesday (I don't get paid till Thursday, and my trip is Friday, and Monday I'm in class all day pretty much.)

I know the signs of a sick bird, and Nips isn't sick, other wise it would be showing right now. I'll keep you all posted about her feathers growing back, but I need to take some more time away from this forum.

I understand where you're coming from with your parents but you mentioned a crop infection. If your bird does have one then you should take him a good avian vet. I know there are some idiots out there - I've come by some that the entire staff is not only incompetent but rude as well.

I understand that sometimes our lives are hectic, but we should still give them time and any other resources we have.

Most Reactions

Back