Wounded Lovebird

I love the Corn cobbed bedding, because it has a nice relaxing aroma to it.

!!!!!!!!!!

lol

I used to use corncob too. But it harbors bacteria, and if you don't change it on a regular bases it can attract bugs. I use plain paper towels, so this way I can see my birds droppings. And it's much more sanitary because I change it every two days.

"i know the signs of a sick bird--nips isnt sick"

plucking can often be a symptom of a sick bird. things that can cause plucking: giardia, mites, lice, crop infection, polyfolliculitis, internal parasites, fungal infections, etc. birds hide illness very well. and often the only symptoms they will show are minor ones, but can be seriously ill. the droppings are often the first thing to tell you, which you cannot monitor because of the lousy unsafe bedding you use. and change of behaviour is another first clue, which a sudden bout of plucking is a behavioural change.

just because you have suffered an inconvenient past, what gives you the right to use that as an excuse and allow your bird to suffer more? everyone has their demons in their past, but that should not be an excuse to allow others to suffer, just because their problems may seem insignificant to you. everyone feels the same amount of hurt. i would think that having gone through something like that, you would feel some empathy for another living creature going through some problems too and would get them help, because you yourself should know what its like to not get medical help when you needed it. ;)

-.-' plus, i'm sure every person on this board has their own sets of problems too. but they dont let their problems stop them from being good parronts!

arthritis sucks, especially at a young age, trust me, i know as i myself have it in nearly every major joint--diagnosed by a full body bone scan at age 20 (i'm 22 now). but, i have walked miles to bring my sick budgie to the vet when he needed it and no one would give me a ride. my suffering may be suffering, but why should i let my own family suffer because i dont want to give up some of my own comfort for the ones i love? and my budgie, when he was alive, the only symptoms he showed of an illness was bubbles in his droppings. and he was diagnosed with an infection in his digestive tract and he was prescribed antibiotics and he had gotten better. he was sick and yet he played, acted completely healthy.

i know i likely seem like the biggest b**** at this point, i dont intend to be that way, but i am honestly more concerned over your birds than anything. that's my concern at this point, that's what i worry about.

Last edited:
-Sigh-

I did hint, that I am planning to take her to the vet. If my funds allow, and after my HUGE history project travel thing is finished. I'll set aside the main $60 for the examination, I only hope I have enough incase she needs medication. I won't go into debt with another place. I'm already behind with my payments to Bill Me Later. So I'm hoping the extra hours I've got will add a little bit in.

So you all can jump off my butt. (that was mean. But I'm getting defensive with the same comments, I'm reading them. SO BE HAPPY WITH THE VET INFO!)

But if its not Crop infection you all owe me $1.

:green1:

Last edited:
it's good you are taking her to the vet, i really hope you do this time, and that nothing comes up where you have to wait even further...

it's good you are taking her to the vet, i really hope you do this time, and that nothing comes up where you have to wait even further...

Only money issues is what'll hold me back. BUT if I don't drive my car to the place then I should be fine :)

-Sigh-

I did hint, that I am planning to take her to the vet. If my funds allow, I have taken extra hours since my pay period has started.

So you all can jump off my butt.

But if its not Crop infection you all owe me $1.

She isn't saying it IS a crop infection, she is simply saying it could be a number of things and without a diagnosis, you don't know what you are dealing with. So treating her is mute. Meanwhile your bird is suffering. What if she has a virus like PBFD that can spread to your other birds an kill them? Here is a link, check it out: Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

"PBFD is one of the diseases that can be passed from bird to bird and the risk of spreading this, or other diseases, is a good reason to quarantine any new bird that comes into your household." PBFD is extremely contagious and there is no known cure and vaccines are only now being developed. Birds carrying this disease may not show any symptoms until stress brings it out, but they may infect other birds before they become symptomatic." And take a look at the pictures. So your not just putting her at risk you are risking your whole flock.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
What if she has a virus like PBFD that can spread to your other birds an kill them? Here is a link, check it out: Psittacine Beak & Feather Disease: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
.[/QUOTE]

I hate to be a smart alec here, but if it was PBFD and it can spread... I don't think I'd have either Nips, Dino, Gabby, Mozzy, and Sydney. So we can rule out PBFD. This has been going on a while, and I know PBFD is a pretty fast moving virus.

As I read in another forum, the two parrots died an hour apart from each other. But none of the brids are at the bottom of their cages (Mozzi and Sydney get their fruits and veggies at the bottom only reason why they go down there.)

No I think my other bird Flutter Shy may have had PBFD, but Nips' didn't catch it from her. But I'm not sure, when Flutter went to the vet it was already too late. The vet said, she was dehydrated, depressed, and under weight. So I'm not sure, I just know the only reason Flutter didn't make it home from the vet to say 'good-bye' to Nips was because my dad told them to keep her overnight to try to save her. (Time we left was around 1 am her time of death was 6:45am)

Again, I am not saying it "IS" PBFD, but without a diagnosis you can not rule out the possibility. Especially when you suspected that one of your birds of having PBFD.

I'm done with this thread. I'm not sure why your here asking for help when you seem to already know what is best for your flock. See ya!

Last edited:
I'm ruling that option out. Because none of my birds have the signs of being sick. I hate for that to be a ruling option right now even though I haven't taken her to the vet I don't want to think that she could possibly die, or any of her other flock mates. It's too much to think of right now.

My birds, all 5 of the could die in one day. No I don't wanna think like that. I'd rather take crop infection of PBFD.

Transmission of the virus from one individual to another is primarily through direct contact, inhalation or ingestion of aerosols, crop-feeding, infected fecal material, and feather dust. The virus can also be transmitted via contaminated surfaces such as bird carriers, feeding formula, utensils, food dishes, clothing, and nesting materials. The viral particles, if not destroyed can remain viable in the environment for months, long after the infected bird is gone.

Some birds infected with the virus, test positive, but never show clinical signs. Other birds which test positive may develop an immune response sufficient enough to fight off the infection and test negative after 30-90 days. Therefore, it is recommended to re-test all PBFD positive birds 60-90 days after the initial testing was completed. If the second sample remains positive, the bird should be considered permanently infected and can be expected to show clinical symptoms of the disease.

taken from: Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD)

Birds exposed for the first time as adults are less likely to become ill.
They may become carriers (healthy but still able to transmit the disease
to other birds).

taken from: http://birdandexotic.co.za/documents/PsittacineBeakandFeatherDisease.pdf

just showing you, that PBFD can be sneaky, and doesnt necessarily kill off in a short matter of time... not saying it IS PBFD, but showing that you havent fully done the research on it. neither have i, but even i know that it can stay dormant and birds can still transfer it but not seem "sick"

there are a LOT of diseases that do the same thing.

even if the plucking ISNT caused by illness, a vet should be able to give you the right direction to go for treatment, because over the counter stuff can kill your bird or cause MORE problems.

Just to give you a heads up.... birds can have PBFD and be carriers of it, but not die from it. In fact, lovebirds are pretty hardy birds when it comes to PBFD. (as DallyTsuka pointed out)

Here are some photos from November of 2009 of a lovebird diagnosed with PBFD. His name is Igor.

dollsigorart017.jpg

igor001006.jpg

That same lovebird from December of 2012.

ManonandLoonettearrive017_zps91600885.jpg

ManonandLoonettearrive007_zpsfff0f27d.jpg

And one image from June of this year.

AfiandIgorJune2013004_zpse42b4c30.jpg

I do feel for you. My mother was the same way when I got sick or hurt. I had mono, and the doctors can't treat you for that. After I had mono, I got strep throat (same exact symptoms - only difference? Strep throat can be treated...). Well, my mother wouldn't take me back to the doctors for that (kept saying it was mono, no point taking me to a doctor if they can't help me) and I ended up having an infection up to twice a year (I think it was?) for two or more weeks at a time where I couldn't eat or drink. This occurred, I think, over a span of 3 or so years. Finally just took myself to the emergency doctor where I finally got medications to treat it. Haven't had it since, but it has caused some difficulties with my sinuses being able to clear on their own. Another time I had foot pain for 6 months straight (probably from a pinched nerve). I recall the day my foot pain started, and I also recall the day when I finally found some relief (through getting a pair of used shoes). When my mother had foot pain? She went to a foot doctor...

Can you contact the vets office and find out how much a general exam would cost (you said $60?), a fecal exam, a crop swab and blood panel? And can you let us know what that would end up costing, before meds?

it looks like she's having an internal organ that's causing her pain.

I was at the vet conserning a plucking problem with my amazon and he says that when a parrot has a very defined plucking zone, it's because of liver disease or other organ that hurts.

Get to the vet. Mine costed me $500 dollars for full tests for an amazon.
When My lovebird got injured, it costed me $200 including medication, $65 of which was just emergency fees.

Also, that cage is tiny small.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Designer-White-Finch-Flight/dp/B004I2KCF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379712962&sr=8-1&keywords=Finch+Flight+Cage]Amazon.com: Petco Designer White Finch Flight Cage: Pet Supplies[/ame]

A cheap cage that can stack pretty much anywhere.

Also.. do you keep apples around the house?

Carrots?

Frozen vegetables? Rice?

Also certain table scraps like the end of a salad (NO onions, or dressing)

All of these things when chopped up put into a bag and frozen can make food to suppliment your seeds.

And all are relatively cheap. One apple, a plum, a summer squash (usually yellow) A corn cob, some grated carrot, cabbage and maybe noodles... makes a decent enough chop mix that will last aweek.. and usually only costs about 3 or 4$- Of course I feed pellets along with these things..

All of these things are relatively cheap though and will keep quite well.

To buy these things for a while I would save any change I could find. Before Porter I just had the budgies and with a recent move and having lost my job.. things were tight; heck you can make a chop mix with things you find around the house. Dried beans.. cooked potato; almost any fruit you can find. Rice noodles.. most birds love this stuff. Make it vary and you'll still have very healthy birds. In the end its not so much expensive for food and toys (Vet bills and cages excluded) if you have a little imagination :3. Porter loves Corn bread for example and Jalapenos.. and i grow those myself xP.

Save the seeds from most peppers or squash if you have a pumpkin around halloween. Squash seeds and pepper seeds are good; though most fruit seeds are not.

I save cuccumber seeds, squash seeds, pepper seeds and during the winter months feed these as a substitute to many of the greens I give him and as treats.

I'd say double it so you have a batch for the quakers and the love birds but... thats 4 or 5$ every couple of weeks that will help you conserve seed and make your birds healthier as well.

I usually give each of my birds a tablespoon of this mixture in the morning and evening.

Granted I make different mixtures quite often but.. this is the simplest and will help.

A 1$ bag of frozen veg... lasts a month as well and can bulk up that chop mix. Thinking of ways to save money is what quite a few of us bird owners do xP .

That way I can afford the vet bills when they come around.

I give porter cat balls with the bell removed; popsicle sticks... natural wooden beads... all sorts of things.

When he gets bored of his old toys? I break them apart and make new ones, soak em in vinegar and share them between him and the budgies.

Also what are the dimensions for the cage you have her in? I might have an old one that I can part with that is quite a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Yikes! $200 :( All I can afford is her examination, $60. I think I'm gonna have to save up some more. (Also looking for a 2nd job) ><

So last week I was really sick. This week I am feeling much better.
I called the vet, and I can only remember the final price of all the fees. It'll be about $200-300 for me to take Nips to the vet. I've applied for a 2nd job, I'm also looking into getting her some new toys for her little cage.

Any more help would be lovely. (Hahaha, I'm a bored college student laughing at my own humor)

Her feathers are growing back, the under feathers not the colorful feathers. I can't wait for my baby to be beautiful again, not that she isn't right now. But I'll be honest, she's a scary lil demon after he baths.
The picture is Nips and Flutter Shy.
Nips is on the left (The darker green)
Flutter Shy is on the right (The lighter green)
sl5f7d.jpg

Glad things are a bit better!

$200+ sounds about right.

General checkup $40-$90
Gram Stains $15-$45
Blood work $75-$300+

The tiny little white feathers that float around are called down feathers. The outer colorful feathers are the contour feathers.

Here's another idea, if she likes it. Try to find some safe trees in your area that haven't been sprayed for pesticides or fertilizer and aren't close to any major roads. Cut off some fresh branches with leaves on them and give them to Nips whole.

You can get an idea of safe trees here.
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

It can be a great way to keep a bird busy and at no cost to you!

c18a49c3.jpg

G1.jpg

Noel01.jpg

Fids025.jpg

3728fdb2.jpg

40983596.jpg

Know anyone who grows sunflowers? See if you can get a sunflower head and give it straight to Nips! Sunflower seeds aren't really healthy for birds in large amounts, but it's an easy foraging food! Another one? Fresh millet!

I actually have some growing in my yard right now from wild bird seed and I've grown some before using the left overs from my own birds and tossing it out in the yard!

Panicum miliaceum 071025-8276 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Panicum miliaceum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Seed & Plant Improvment Institute

Glad things are a bit better!

$200+ sounds about right.

General checkup $40-$90
Gram Stains $15-$45
Blood work $75-$300+

The tiny little white feathers that float around are called down feathers. The outer colorful feathers are the contour feathers.

Here's another idea, if she likes it. Try to find some safe trees in your area that haven't been sprayed for pesticides or fertilizer and aren't close to any major roads. Cut off some fresh branches with leaves on them and give them to Nips whole.

You can get an idea of safe trees here.
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

It can be a great way to keep a bird busy and at no cost to you!

c18a49c3.jpg

G1.jpg

Noel01.jpg

Fids025.jpg

3728fdb2.jpg

40983596.jpg

Know anyone who grows sunflowers? See if you can get a sunflower head and give it straight to Nips! Sunflower seeds aren't really healthy for birds in large amounts, but it's an easy foraging food! Another one? Fresh millet!

I actually have some growing in my yard right now from wild bird seed and I've grown some before using the left overs from my own birds and tossing it out in the yard!

Panicum miliaceum 071025-8276 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Panicum miliaceum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Seed & Plant Improvment Institute

Love this...

I believe every tree in my area and around my school wouldn't work. There is major construction work in both areas. :|

I believe every tree in my area and around my school wouldn't work. There is major construction work in both areas. :|

Have you tried making the cheap toys I suggested to you (you can make multiples with the same supplies - all under $5)? Or what about the other toys others have suggested?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back