Wounded Lovebird

i've dealt with both plucking and mutilating in one of my lovebirds, due to high hormones.

Ugh, I did too. I tried separating him from his cagemate, antibiotics, supplements, and finally an e-collar. In the end, he was just one plucked lovie for about 12 of his 15 years. Did you figure yours out?

mine plucks only when she is sitting on eggs, which plucking itself does not concern me, as i've dealt with mutilation, and plucking is the lesser of two evils. the blue lovebird in the collages both for plucking and for mutilating the legs is our munch. she has not mutilated in a long while, we never quite figured out the exact cause of that, but it did not continue. it's more than likely linked to hormonal frustration.

to Lovely, what are the dimensions of the cage?

You can make your own toys :3

It does indeed sound like you might have a bored birdie...

Pick up some wooden beads from walmart, Get some untreated cork wood and other relatively cheap items.

Heck I buy porter squeakie toys... and Baby toys as they are cheap and safe. But Love birds are hormonal little things, you just have to be prepared for that.

The more toys the better :3 and you don't have to break the bank to do it ^^.

When I'm having issues in cage dimensions as well... I just buy another cheap cage and add on to what I've already got.

Before I could afford a larger cage for my ... I put two smaller cages together in a rather unique fashion but it worked quite well... amused them too.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

... Porter's addition to the conversation.

Nips has 1 feather before her whole breast is plucked clean off. It's hard to believe what a few days does, I wish I had room for another cage in my room. Does the e-collar really work? Like Nips shares the cage with Dino and I don't know Dino picking on her because she has the collar on.

:green1:

Yes so I went out and I bought a bowl for Nips, it'll contain some Skin and Plumage drops.
Dad did give me his card to go see if theres something out there at the local bird breed/store. But because they don't do lovebirds they gave me a card to a vet that has a t $60 examination fee. I did know I could have taken her there, dad told me I could while I was out.
MEH! but I'm going to keep her in the carrier while shes on the drops, to see how she does. Right now she's sitting on my laptop chirping away

Last edited:
i would have taken her to the vet... a lot of over the counter products like that do not work for plucking.

Sadly my dad told me I could have taken her to the vet after I got home from running around with her all day. UGH!

Right now she's sitting in the carrier cage itching herself.

MEH!!!!

well then, i'd take her tomorrow since now you have the opportunity :)

Hopefully I have time tomorrow.

Wonder if get baby safe Aloe Vera Gel is safe?

Ok but if it is should I try that as well, because I believe if a product is meant for babies it doesn't contain a lot of bad things.

but I'm also getting Aloe Vera and Vitamin E gel for the baby selection

read the ingredients.... these are NOT safe :(

Water , Glycerin , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice , Citrus Aurantium Amara (Orange) Oil , Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer , Polysorbate 20 , DMDM Hydantoin , Phenoxyethanol , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Triethanolamine , FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake , FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090) , Fragrance

its not the pure aloe you need. and do not get the oil, oil is bad for the feathers. it ruins them so she will chill if she needs to stay warm.

Lovely,
Many supermarkets sell single aloe vera leaves now, about $3 each. They are very thick, large, long green "leaves" filled with aloe vera gel. My local supermarket chain does, whole foods does. Places like Home Depot sell small plants for about $4 or $5. Also, I will venture to say that if you stopped at a plant shop or store that sells the plants and explain that u r a college student with an injured bird and would like try aloe before you buy a plant, they would snap off a leave for free. Lots of people keep them as plants in homes and offices because they are so easy to care for and great ot have for burns and cuts. Ask around, email, post of FB or something and ask if someone has a leaf from an aloe plant. Snapping them off doesn't hurt the plant. That's what many people do anyway. Once you have a leave, you snap off a little piece, open it and scrape out the gel. Then put the rest of the leaf in the fridge and it will last a long time that way. One plant will last the rest of your life if you care for it. I can mail a leaf to you and it should hold up for a few days in the mail -- if you have a PO Box or some other non-revealing address, feel free to PM me if you want a leaf.

Your lovebirds are very cute and pretty. I'm very very glad you have them to love and care for. Obviously your aunt trusted you with her precious birdies because she knew they would mean alot to you and you would do your very best. Coming to this forum for advice is exactly the right thing to do in your situation. Don't let the posts that make you upset get to you. No one wants you to get upset. EVERYONE wants to get their guidance across to you in their own way.

After reading all your posts, my gut instinct is that you have a habitual plucker there. She stops plucking when she sees you and is ready to hop out of her cage. Sounds like plucking could well be related to boredom and nervousness from your absence. Also, it is unknown what goes on with the other birds and her while you are out. Obviouly you have to be out to classes and work. You've been given lots of great advice already. You could try leaving a distraction during the day, i.e. tv cartoons on low volume or no volume, some kind of audio for sure, i.e. mello radio music or an all talk show.

Another thing you mentioned the birdy being awake at 1am. Since you share a room with them, you are probably all on the same schedule and there might not be much that can change about that. But, it is good for you to know that a regular schedule can help too with birds energy and behavior, including picking, biting, etc. You probably have an erratic or hectic schedule when everythng is going on. So do your best to try to make everyday about the same for them in terms of lights on/window blinds open vs. lights off/sundown. If they are not sun up to sundown schedule, then try to leave them plenty of light all day, and later in day, start dimming near their cages, or start to cover their cages like half way (one side), then eventually the whole cage. It's good for them to have regularity. I know it may cramp your fun time with them, but you'll work it out. Like kids, they will have days where they are allowed to stay up late, lol.

Also, you could try a type of toy you never ever tried and see how that goes, like bells if she hasn't had them. You can go to the dollar store and get a set of plastic measuring spoons that come on a ring and hang it up in cage. If item can be used on food or in babies mouths, rule of thumb is that it is safe for a bird as long as it is't sharp, etc.

Lastly, if you would like help finding an organization that might be able to help you with vet / health care, let us know here. There may be a local rescue or organization that can offer free or sliding scale vet / medical care or even free exam and recommendation.

Keep up posted. If your plucker starts opening the skin, you'll have to move up the vet visit to right away. But she should get seen as soon as u can anyway.

I'm hoping to get this Feather Shine Shampoo it works for plucking. I found it on Amazon and I looked it up on google. So hopefully that'll work.

I feel like a bad owner seeing her like this, but she's not plucking anymore. So I hope its just the chest feathers she didn't like. I can't wait for Thursday the medication will be ordered yay!

2yzltsg.jpg

Considering where she's plucking, I'd guess a possible crop infection.

Well it's also been VERY dry where I am right now, so the air is dry. It has a possibility of just being dry skin. So as of now I'll try the medication shampoo, but it that doesn't work, I'll visit the sock buddy again as well. And if that doesn't work, I'll go to the vet. I found a very cheap price vet just for examinations. Yay :3

The shampoo for Nip's has arrived!
Will post progress soon :D

Most Reactions

Back