The time has come....

I'd toss the wood ones (You *could* disassemble them and boil the beads to salvage those), but those acrylic ones are expensive toys and can be disinfected in a bleach solution like baby toys or steam cleaned. Same with that purple pyramid foraging toy in the back there (we have one, it's Kiwi's favorite).

so here is some pictures of the room I want to keep him in. even my living room has big windows, so I am nervous right now.

Last edited:
For a long term and appealing fix for the windows could include laying frost over them or getting curtains/blinds. It's a dangerous situation with so many large clear windows. Even if you wind up clipping his wings he will still be able to glide. Glad to hear he's adjusting well. Would love to see more pics of him.[emoji4]

You can take painters tape or masking tape and make smaller fake panes on the inside of the windows, you also want to show him the window, touch his beak to it as well as you knocking on it while showing him. He will get it.

As far as the dogs you and your family need to get in the habit of not letting the doors open at all if the bird is out. Make yourself a sign by the door as a reminder but it's one you really need to follow.

How is the hand feeding going? Are you feeding twice a day? How much is he taking?

ok. I will do that. I will walk him around and show him the windows. as for the handfeeding, I am going to start tonight. when he went into his cage last night, he started chomping down on another bowl of food, so I didn't want to overfeed. but I have tomorrow and the weekend off, so I am going to work a lot with him then. by that time I will have his cage all together and inside. I want to make sure it dried real good before bringing it in.. I think I might sand paper all the perches and then wash with water and vinegar or something...

Bird proofing the room, toys and perches and all that are important but really this baby is no where near the age of weaning and should be getting those two feedings a day. He is not going to over eat, you can't rely on the pellets and stuff he is eating on his own to be enough at this point. He is a growing baby. Please, Please start hand feeding this baby asap!!!!

I 100% agree. I was just worried last night that to feed after he just got done eating. My life has been pretty chaotic lately... not the way I wanted to transition... I have been getting cages, cleaning cages, buying food, buying formula, buying perches, all while trying to work a full time job, and fighting with my insurance about my wrecked car out front... PERFECT TIME FOR A UNWEANED BABY MACAW?? RIGHT?? LOL...

Think of it this way if someone dropped off a 15 month old human baby at your house you wouldn't just plop them in a play pen with a box of cheerios and think that will be enough.

Proper nutrition, hand feeding, being allowed to truly fledge and being abundantly weaned are some of the things that will effect a baby for the rest of their lives.

While I feel bad that the breeder did what he did, that the car was wrecked and appreciate that you have a lot on your plate and while I understand that other stuff needs to get done. Feeding a baby does not take that long and right now imo that is priority number one for the long term well being of your bird.

so here is some pictures of the room I want to keep him in. even my living room has big windows, so I am nervous right now.

I love that room. I wish I had something like that. Perfect for a bird room! A big playstand in there would be nice too, and some things from the ceiling...

Last edited:
Think of it this way if someone dropped off a 15 month old human baby at your house you wouldn't just plop them in a play pen with a box of cheerios and think that will be enough.

Proper nutrition, hand feeding, being allowed to truly fledge and being abundantly weaned are some of the things that will effect a baby for the rest of their lives.

While I feel bad that the breeder did what he did, that the car was wrecked and appreciate that you have a lot on your plate and while I understand that other stuff needs to get done. Feeding a baby does not take that long and right now imo that is priority number one for the long term well being of your bird.

Laura is 100% correct. You are starving that bird and you're going to end up with either a sick or dead bird. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I'd not let someone abuse a child unintentionally or intentionally and I won't do it with an animal either, not if I can speak up.

I 100% agree. I was just worried last night that to feed after he just got done eating. My life has been pretty chaotic lately... not the way I wanted to transition... I have been getting cages, cleaning cages, buying food, buying formula, buying perches, all while trying to work a full time job, and fighting with my insurance about my wrecked car out front... PERFECT TIME FOR A UNWEANED BABY MACAW?? RIGHT?? LOL...

Look at it this way, this gives you something to focus on OTHER THAN all that other stuff... (Hey, rehabbing birds got me through my divorce and three subsequent custody battles...)

The handfeeding formula is way more important than the other foods at this point. You're doing this backwards. Give him the hand feeding formula first, THEN leave the other stuff out in a bowl for him if he gets hungry in between feedings...

First feeding done!! Done!!! Done!!!.. wooo hooo!! He wasnt going crazy for it, but he was opening his mouth and swallowing. He only wanted to eat at the top of his cage. Saw he was getting a buldge in his crop. Ate Just under 100grams. Now he is in his new cage!! Can you say success??

Last edited:
So this morning i tried to feed again. He didnt want nothing to do with it.. he kept just spitting it out. I got through half and gave up. What the heck should i do? Put him in the shower and cleaned him up, and now he is back in his cage. I am getting really stressed at this point.

Don't stop just because he refused one time. You were right not to force him but do continue to try, as we said he is way too young to wean. What temp are you feeding at? Cool formula will make them refuse.

Man unless you are squirting formula all over him the shower seems like overkill to wash him off after feeding.:eek:

Give him lots of warm mushy foods there are great recipes on the forum in the food section. Make sure he has LOTS of variety, even if a lot gets wasted you have to offer many different things.

Oh and try not to be frustrated, he can feel that. Feeding time should be loving and calm and comforting for a baby.

Hi guys/gals. Tonight was such an awesome night.... i couldnt handle the spoon any longer and decided to go to the ONLY avian vet in fresno and ask for help. She didnt offer me too much advice as she was closing for the weekend, but did give me a syringe. I figured that was my last step before i FINALLY lost my mind... LOL. Well.. i just got done, and it went almost flawless. I am soo happy right now i could scream. I feel like i have conquered a huge obstacle here. We have gained each others trust so much from yesterday till today its mind boggling!!! I have him stepping up on command. Going in and out of his cage without biting or flapping through the door. I walked with him all through my house. And tonight for the first time, when i put on the sheet for night night time, he was babbling something!!!! WE ARE LEARNING EACH OTHER ONE STEP AT A TIME!! LIFE IS GOOD.

he is doing great. eating good, getting used to us all. I think the biggest thing right now is getting adjusted. need to get him on a schedule for feedings, as we are not at home in the day for work. I tried to give him his formula before I left this morning, but he refuses to eat that early... he like to eat around 10am. I need to fix that somehow. he will be hungry when I get home... he is eating his pellets, zupreme, and a little bit of the seed mix all mixed together through the day. I have been giving him chop as well. I have seen HUGE improvement on his feathers just in the 7 days I have had him. so I think all in all it has been good. I will be 100% relieved when he can sustain himself!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back