The time has come....

How do I get his nails to be trimmed? My arms are seriously ripped up by his claws!! its almost embarrassing at work today...

Precious photos!! I'm going out on a limb here and say that's a GIRL. ;) When you take her to the vet, will you have 'her' DNA'ed? The vet can also trim/file the nails down for you a bit if you are uncomfortable doing it.

If she allows you to handle her all over, you can do it yourself. I'd recommend using a dremel for it to avoid cutting too deeply. :)

why do you think girl? I would really like to know since I have been calling it a him, her, it, birdie, etc... LOL. I can handle "her" all over. under the wings, top of the head an neck all over tail feathers and body. "she" is super friendly. She steps up on command pretty easy now. I just have to file them down because the are like needles! I hope its a girl !!!

LOL, Matt - I'm only guessing here, nothing more. :) Looking at the shape of her head, it's rounder, softer (more feminine) looking compared to my own B&G. I could be totally wrong. 50% chance I'm right, 50% chance I'm wrong, HAHAHAHA. Have the vet do a DNA, then you'll know with certainty.

Last edited:
will do... I am going to try and take my wifes nail file and just file down the points for right now. I have an appointment the 15th for the vet check. what do you guys use to take your birds to the vet? I only have that dog kennel.....

also, what do you guys think of the BIRD PARADISE brand macaw food. I believe they are in New Jersey. they make there own bulk food. they sell 20lb bags for 128 bucks. the lady I bought my cage from feeds her B&G that and she said a 20 lb bag would last 4-6 months.. has anyone had experience with this company? it looks like it has everything all in it..

also, what do you guys think of the BIRD PARADISE brand macaw food. I believe they are in New Jersey. they make there own bulk food. they sell 20lb bags for 128 bucks. the lady I bought my cage from feeds her B&G that and she said a 20 lb bag would last 4-6 months.. has anyone had experience with this company? it looks like it has everything all in it..

The dog crate will be just fine to take her to the vet. :)

I've been to Bird Paradise too many times to count. Their Macaw blend is PHENOMENAL!!

So is MSBS's mix, here, check it out. Here are both for comparisons:

Bird Paradise Blend: A-Birdbulk15-10 Paradise Ultimate Blend 10lb Cockatoo/Macaw - BIRD PARADISE BLENDS

MySafeBirdStore Blend: D-BHBL-20 Bountiful Harvest Blend for Large Birds 20 lb Bag - MY BIRD SAFE BLENDS

that is great to hear!! the lady said her birds loved it, and that she gets coupons all the time. I think I got a 20% coupon for just signing up for their email newsletter. I am going to buy some this week. I think that will be my new food for him/her. (god I hate saying that!!) LOL.

Don't depend on the food lasting for 4-6 months though. As a matter of fact, I would never buy that much at once. I only buy as much as my fids will eat in a month or so. It WILL go bad. But their site tells you this, too, in fact they don't recommend to buy more than your bird will eat in 10-14 days.

BIRD PARADISE BLENDS
In order to maintain the freshness of our bulk foods, upon arrival, please transfer food to a sealed, rigid container. It is recommended to store at room temperature what your bird(s) will consume in approximately 10-14 days. The remainder should be stored in the refridgerator. We do not recommend freezing as a method of storage due to the formation of ice crystals, which will melt and cause mold.

Don't depend on the food lasting for 4-6 months though. As a matter of fact, I would never buy that much at once. I only buy as much as my fids will eat in a month or so. It WILL go bad. But their site tells you this, too, in fact they don't recommend to buy more than your bird will eat in 10-14 days.

BIRD PARADISE BLENDS
In order to maintain the freshness of our bulk foods, upon arrival, please transfer food to a sealed, rigid container. It is recommended to store at room temperature what your bird(s) will consume in approximately 10-14 days. The remainder should be stored in the refridgerator. We do not recommend freezing as a method of storage due to the formation of ice crystals, which will melt and cause mold.

Plus seed mix should be the smallest portion of their diet.

yeah I haven't gave him much seed. he sure does like it though... the fruits and veggies he is eating but slowly and curiously.. LOL. So I guess I will buy a 10 lb bag?? Also, I wanted to ask you guys, I just bought an aviator harness. is it too early to put him/her in it and go outside? I am eager to get him outside for some sunlight!

Matt, now's the PERFECT time to get her used to the Aviator Harness! I'm sure she'll love it outside. The more places you take her, the better socialized she'll be. :)

I got my GW, Rosie at Bird Paradise. She loves the macaw blend from them, it is a nice mix. Once in a while I will get the macaw blend from msbs, just to give her a change. She likes that as well, but really LOVES the bp blend. She may be partial to it since that is what she has always eaten though. I do recommend freezing it for the first 24 hours or so, just in case any little pesky visitors come with the food.

I agree with Wendy, I wouldn't count on 20 lbs lasting 4-6 months. I usually buy 10-13 lbs and I'm lucky if it lasts 5 weeks. I have one GW macaw, no other birds. At least 1/2 ends up on the floor, mind you. :) Your baby won't go through as much since he/she is still handfeeding.

Also thought I would recommend a sand perch for nails. Rosie has two as well as a java, rope, wood and a plastic heated perch. The sand perches really help keep her nails blunt, and she doesn't really even use them all that often.

Last edited:
hi all, just wanted to give you guys an update. our bird is doing great! he is really starting to open up and show his personality. making all kinds of weird noises around dusk! he loves being picked up, and getting petted. he is only eating formula around 6-7pm and enjoys all his veggies and fruits and beans. he then picks at his supreme and seed through the day with a teat here and there from my wife. his feathers are a night and day difference from the first day we got him. he is almost fully feather now. looking great. I have been trying to get him away from his cage and put him on the ground in our living room, but he gets scared and tries to run away. any way of helping with that? I want him more involved with us in the living room with out getting scared. our house is very open so he still interacts with us just fine while on or in his cage, but I want him to feel ok to come into other rooms. I will take some pictures today and post tomorrow when I get back to work!!

hi all, just wanted to give you guys an update. our bird is doing great! he is really starting to open up and show his personality. making all kinds of weird noises around dusk! he loves being picked up, and getting petted. he is only eating formula around 6-7pm and enjoys all his veggies and fruits and beans. he then picks at his supreme and seed through the day with a teat here and there from my wife. his feathers are a night and day difference from the first day we got him. he is almost fully feather now. looking great. I have been trying to get him away from his cage and put him on the ground in our living room, but he gets scared and tries to run away. any way of helping with that? I want him more involved with us in the living room with out getting scared. our house is very open so he still interacts with us just fine while on or in his cage, but I want him to feel ok to come into other rooms. I will take some pictures today and post tomorrow when I get back to work!!

I have no advice on his fears, but honestly, you did great for him. :) He seems like a beautiful, happy bird. ^^

There's a B&G breeder up in the San Francisco Bay Area that could help you. (I'll PM you.) Frankly, a a bit of a drive from Fresno, but they're experienced and recommend by a ton of people on here! Maybe they could help you out there if you need assistance faster than 7/15?

Sorry to have only seen this thread now. But you seem to be doing a GREAT job! :)

They're vulnerable down on the floor, and they know it.

In the wild, they go down at the clay licks, and occasionally to feed, but other than that, they spend their life in the air, or in the jungle canopy... up high where predators can't get them!

Their instinct tells them this is dangerous. Spend too much time on the ground, something comes along and eats you... It's fairly normal for a macaw to be nervous on the ground. As he grows more confident, it should get better.

Hi All. Just wanted to show some progress pics of our birdie! he is doing great!! I ordered a 10lb bag of bird paradise food today, and it should be delivered by Tuesday. he is gaining good and feather condition and coat is excellent. getting quite the personality these days. only eating a little bit of formula at night still. took a shower with me yesterday and these are the pics after he dried a little. Enjoy!

Last edited:
She's looking GREAT, Matt!!! Holy smokes what an improvement in feathers!

Has she been DNA'ed yet by the vet? :D Got a name for her now??

So glad he is doing well! Thanks for the update!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back