TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Mini brands? I use them to train Ona her shopping cart trick!

Awe :( I am the same way when I leave Ona. You get so used to them ALWAYS being there.
Yes mini brands! I bet we have spent so much on those lol! I wish teeko would do something like that. He just wants to grab it play with it for a second and then just show them to you.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Yes mini brands! I bet we have spent so much on those lol! I wish teeko would do something like that. He just wants to grab it play with it for a second and then just show them to you.
You can train him to! I taught Ona fetch, then basketball. Once I taught her basketball getting her to put an object inside of another was a breeze.

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
You can train him to! I taught Ona fetch, then basketball. Once I taught her basketball getting her to put an object inside of another was a breeze.
How did you do it? Tell me more. If it's not to much to ask!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
How did you do it? Tell me more. If it's not to much to ask!

Training is so fun! If you haven't done anything yet at all I would start with target training. That one is a really easy one to teach and all you need is a wooden chopstick to use as a target pointer. This video teaches you how to train target and spin:

Really for target training you just hold the chopstick in front of them and as soon as they touch it say "Good bird!" and give them a training treat. Find a treat he loves and only give it during training sessions. For Ona that is safflower seed. Be consistent with the reward.

Try starting there and then work your way to fetch next! It's so much fun. I could talk about training all day. Feel free to PM me if you want more advice about any of the above.

Check out Ona's training video to see a lot of her tricks:

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Training is so fun! If you haven't done anything yet at all I would start with target training. That one is a really easy one to teach and all you need is a wooden chopstick to use as a target pointer. This video teaches you how to train target and spin:

Really for target training you just hold the chopstick in front of them and as soon as they touch it say "Good bird!" and give them a training treat. Find a treat he loves and only give it during training sessions. For Ona that is safflower seed. Be consistent with the reward.

Try starting there and then work your way to fetch next! It's so much fun. I could talk about training all day. Feel free to PM me if you want more advice about any of the above.

Check out Ona's training video to see a lot of her tricks:
Thank you so much!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Teeko is now talking. He is saying his name! Proud moment. 👏
Now we have TWO two genius GCCs! I just bought Rocky a birdie basketball hoop a ring toss "intelligence" training toy. I want to try to direct Rocky's physical and mental energy to do something productive than raiding my SkinnyPop. My husband thinks she's pretty smart, but we will see!

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Now we have TWO two genius GCCs! I just bought Rocky a birdie basketball hoop a ring toss "intelligence" training toy. I want to try to direct Rocky's physical and mental energy to do something productive than raiding my SkinnyPop. My husband thinks she's pretty smart, but we will see!
Good luck guys!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Awesome! I highly recommend teaching fetch before teaching basketball or ring toss. It makes the process much easier. Once your bird understand to put a ball in your hand you start by holding your hand over top of the basketball hoop and eventually phase it out until they put it through the hoop. It takes a lot of time and patience to teach but to me that is where the fun is!

Teeko is now talking. He is saying his name! Proud moment. 👏
So exciting! I can't wait to see all the words he will say.

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
644f29bbfb635ca0ec8508bb0c4885b2.jpg

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Awesome! I highly recommend teaching fetch before teaching basketball or ring toss. It makes the process much easier. Once your bird understand to put a ball in your hand you start by holding your hand over top of the basketball hoop and eventually phase it out until they put it through the hoop. It takes a lot of time and patience to teach but to me that is where the fun is!

I know! So sxcited!!

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek

Okay so I'm training Teeko to spin. Using the stick method he is doing well at it! Except for the part when he does about a 180 spin to touch the stick. And I hold the treat behind him. And he likes to go back the opposite direction..lol instead of finishing the spin. But my question is! How many sun flower seeds am I allowed to give him per training session? Because that seems to be his favorite treat that gets him moving lol..I just don't want him to look like he eats 20 whoppers a day.

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Okay so I'm training Teeko to spin. Using the stick method he is doing well at it! Except for the part when he does about a 180 spin to touch the stick. And I hold the treat behind him. And he likes to go back the opposite direction..lol instead of finishing the spin. But my question is! How many sun flower seeds am I allowed to give him per training session? Because that seems to be his favorite treat that gets him moving lol..I just don't want him to look like he eats 20 whoppers a day.
I would do one treat per training reward. If you’re using sunflower seeds you can get shelled ones that are quicker for them to eat. I have some but Ona just spat them out lol. Usually you want to train for no more than 15 mins or so per session so he should be ok with not getting too many in that time.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Teeko is absolutely precious and such a smart boy! As photogenic as he is, I bet he will become a regular in the Photo of the Month contest:)
I'm so excited to watch your journey together!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I can't imagine what to use as a treat for training a budgie, Rocky specifically. She doesn't care about millet. I think a sunflower meat is too big for her to eat quickly. I could break one into quarters but it would be difficult to hold and give to her to eat. She likes chopped sunflower meats but they are tiny.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I can't imagine what to use as a treat for training a budgie, Rocky specifically. She doesn't care about millet. I think a sunflower meat is too big for her to eat quickly. I could break one into quarters but it would be difficult to hold and give to her to eat. She likes chopped sunflower meats but they are tiny.
Rocky follows the tip of a zip tie in a circle if I hold it near her head and go in a circle but that's because she wants to bite it. I don't think this counts as a trick.

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Teeko is absolutely precious and such a smart boy! As photogenic as he is, I bet he will become a regular in the Photo of the Month contest:)
I'm so excited to watch your journey together!
Absolutely he is a true blessing! A very curious one!

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Rocky follows the tip of a zip tie in a circle if I hold it near her head and go in a circle but that's because she wants to bite it. I don't think this counts as a trick.
I kept making the stick shorter till he followed just my finger.
Between the Fruit Loops, Popcorn, Sword and shield and now a bag of chips, Teeko is, as my husband says, "too much for color TV", but in a good way!
Lol absolutely true. Thank you for the kind comment!

OP
TeekoGreenCheek

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I used the stick and made it shorter and shorter eventually till the tip of my finger was the only thing he could see instead of the stick, he now is beginning to pick up on the motion. Every spin i gave him a treat! In his case he is sunflower crazy..lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts