Baby Broccoli

It seems when heā€™s at his most comfortablest, he does this ADORABLE little feather poof and shake. Is this a conure thing? It is too stinkinā€™ cute!

I typed this with a conure on my hand, btw. He is not even a little scared of my tablet glove, which is a bit of a problem because he keeps trying to chew it off my hand and accidentally catches skin, LOL. Had to take it off after a bite that was just hard enough to leave a mark! Little punk was so startled when I yelped and jerked my hand back, and then looked at me like -I- did something wrong, lol. The audacity!

I have already learned I cannot have rings on in his presence or he does the same dang thing. Crazy birds. Sure is entertaining. Thankfully he only does this after an hour or so when heā€™s bored but not brave enough to go play on the playstand.

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

Thankfully, I keep MANY alternatives to chewing fleshy bits on hand, lol!

And not five seconds after I took this photo, this goofy bird dropped his toy and it hit the table so loud he scared himself and flew off.

Last edited:
It seems when heā€™s at his most comfortablest, he does this ADORABLE little feather poof and shake. Is this a conure thing? It is too stinkinā€™ cute!

I call that the ā€œpuff shakeā€ šŸ˜ Ona does it all the time. Itā€™s soo cute.

Ding dong, after being forcibly removed because he tried to pick my buttons off my shirt and then tried to chew off a tattoo:

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0172.jpeg

He prefers a human play stand. šŸ˜‚ Thankfully Iā€™ve got a nice book to readā€¦

Baby Broccoli is in boarding while we go camping. Boy did he kick up a fuss at the store! Contact called non stop! Couldnā€™t tell if he was excited to be back or scared I was getting rid of him!

Unfortunately the only safe way to transfer him to the boarding cage and not risk him landing on a spicy birds cage (boarding is full!!) was to gently grab him. The boarding room is SO loud and he was very upset, gave me a few good bites. I felt SO BAD, and he wouldnā€™t let me pet him before I left, but itā€™s better than him losing a toe. I have not had enough time with him to be confident he wonā€™t fly off around the room if I donā€™t secure his wings with a hand.

Hoping little man forgives me!

Kirby was an angel as usual and stepped up and let me give him lots of kisses and attention, because heā€™s setting a good example for his baby brother!

I feel stupid typing this, but Iā€™m still feeling really overwhelmed and uncertain about bringing home a second bird. Kirby is ok with it, but I donā€™t know if I can do it. Itā€™s been a rough year for us with pets, and the degree to which I am burnt out and tired was something I wasnā€™t aware of until he came home.

Iā€™ve been in touch with the store about this too, since I know the folks there (I almost worked there, haha, but I didnā€™t have the time). This really stinks and I feel so stupid for not realizing how stretched thin I am sooner. We arenā€™t sure what we are going to do. I am dreading picking him up from boarding; Iā€™m just so tired.

I feel stupid typing this, but Iā€™m still feeling really overwhelmed and uncertain about bringing home a second bird. Kirby is ok with it, but I donā€™t know if I can do it. Itā€™s been a rough year for us with pets, and the degree to which I am burnt out and tired was something I wasnā€™t aware of until he came home.

Iā€™ve been in touch with the store about this too, since I know the folks there (I almost worked there, haha, but I didnā€™t have the time). This really stinks and I feel so stupid for not realizing how stretched thin I am sooner. We arenā€™t sure what we are going to do. I am dreading picking him up from boarding; Iā€™m just so tired.
I really feel for you. Especially when you appeared so happy, (and so publicly, no less) to adopt Broccoli and are now feeling some adopter's remorse. So man people I don't realize how much more work it is to have two high maintenance parrots than one. I dont know how I ended up with eight budgies in five 24x24"32" cages in a one bedroom house with one closet for two people but I did. Sometimes I can't wait for nature to take its course and to finally have only three cages of budgies. Going away can be a logistical nightmare. Last Christmas our house lost power in a snowstorm right after we drove 400 miles to visit family, leaving seven budgies with no heat. We had to pay someone $100 a day for six days to come start up our generator and refill it with fuel so the budgie didn't freeze. We can take one cage with us but not five.
If you feel you can't handle having another bird, THATS OKAY! Really! Just consider Broccoli a "foster bird-child" that you are lovingly helping get a great start in life by loving and socializing him for a while until he gets his forever home. Maybe the store can work with you to help both you and Broccoli be happy in the meantime.

I really feel for you. Especially when you appeared so happy, (and so publicly, no less) to adopt Broccoli and are now feeling some adopter's remorse. So man people I don't realize how much more work it is to have two high maintenance parrots than one. I dont know how I ended up with eight budgies in five 24x24"32" cages in a one bedroom house with one closet for two people but I did. Sometimes I can't wait for nature to take its course and to finally have only three cages of budgies. Going away can be a logistical nightmare. Last Christmas our house lost power in a snowstorm right after we drove 400 miles to visit family, leaving seven budgies with no heat. We had to pay someone $100 a day for six days to come start up our generator and refill it with fuel so the budgie didn't freeze. We can take one cage with us but not five.
If you feel you can't handle having another bird, THATS OKAY! Really! Just consider Broccoli a "foster bird-child" that you are lovingly helping get a great start in life by loving and socializing him for a while until he gets his forever home. Maybe the store can work with you to help both you and Broccoli be happy in the meantime.

I am trying to suck it up and sit in my big girl tantrum feelings about going out and actively acquiring another responsibility, haha. I know I did this to myself, and we will sort out whatā€™s the right decision for us. Thanks for this really kind comment though - I know I air a lot of my own dirty laundry here (it helps me to type it out - I should really just journal or something but here we are for now!) and I am always worried Iā€™ll be reprimanded for making another bad decision - not saying I donā€™t deserve it!

For now heā€™s safe with us and hopefully happy. He comes back tomorrow. We are going to see how it goes. We do have options if it really does not work out.

I keep being assured by other folks who decided to get a second bird that they felt this way too, every time they did it. Something about getting a second bird is harrowing, lol. I guess I must have had these doubts when I got Kirby too (he was after our cockatiel, actually, although heā€™s much older), I seem to remember being SO SET OFF by his ā€œbarkingā€, lol! But now I can read a book and not even notice, except of course to occasionally comment to him so he doesnā€™t feel like heā€™s being ignored.

And Sammy, well, Sammy has definitely left a family legacy - she will certainly never be forgotten, although I am happy that sheā€™s happier without us šŸ˜…

71246354504__95159D0A-9301-43C8-A809-6352171C17E9.jpeg

I can see Iā€™m really going to have to invest in more foot toys. Everyone is home and happy to be there - there was a Senegal in boarding whose contact call could strip paint.

View attachment 53136

I can see Iā€™m really going to have to invest in more foot toys. Everyone is home and happy to be there - there was a Senegal in boarding whose contact call could strip paint.
Aww! Ona doesnā€™t like the wood blocks much. Maybe her beak isnā€™t big enough for chewing them. Broccoli clearly loves them!

Aww! Ona doesnā€™t like the wood blocks much. Maybe her beak isnā€™t big enough for chewing them. Broccoli clearly loves them!

Heā€™s still learning how to hold things well with his feet, but he really loves these blocks. Shreds them all over my clothes, lol. I bought a little cheap Hanes hoodie so that I donā€™t end up with splinters in my shirts!

I also gave in and am trying out squawk box, and bought a bunch of other foot toys for him to try.

IMG_0218.jpeg

Banana chip before bed. Kirby got one too, but I put it in his food bowl, because Broccoli flying around with his startled him and he kept dropping it, haha.

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

Apparently conures are windows compatible. Who knew? This one is absolutely certain itā€™s a mouse, lol.

IMG_0228.jpeg

It is imperative to have a banana chip whilst browsing the forums.

View attachment 53203
View attachment 53204

Apparently conures are windows compatible. Who knew? This one is absolutely certain itā€™s a mouse, lol.

Well that is adorable mouse!! Where can I get one?! I just can't go over those big, beautiful eyes Broccoli has! :love:

I am envious of those of you with birds who sit calmly by your computer and be the "mouse" šŸ¤£ Ona is OBSESSED with keyboards and will do nothing but try her hardest to snap off all they keys, especially on my gaming PC..... *sigh* Luckily it's harder for her to do on the Mac keyboard I use for work. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get her to perch calmly on top of the screen, of course with the long tail blocking the screen:

242703765_412180403611249_819077443697838052_n.jpg

Well that is adorable mouse!! Where can I get one?! I just can't go over those big, beautiful eyes Broccoli has! :love:

I am envious of those of you with birds who sit calmly by your computer and be the "mouse" šŸ¤£ Ona is OBSESSED with keyboards and will do nothing but try her hardest to snap off all they keys, especially on my gaming PC..... *sigh* Luckily it's harder for her to do on the Mac keyboard I use for work. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get her to perch calmly on top of the screen, of course with the long tail blocking the screen:

242703765_412180403611249_819077443697838052_n.jpg

Oh, donā€™t worry, he moved onto that nextā€¦

71263784423__D8E258BF-5868-4403-8A83-0CE8AA0B5E51.jpeg

Thankfully my oldest kid stepped in and offered him one of his blocks. He has two brand new foot toys besides the blocks, but of course my keyboard glows (I have a mechanical Razr gaming keyboard/mouse combo so I feel you)!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back