Setting a pet parrot free in its natural habitat?

Hello,

I agree with Mike17. Don't you think there is a bit of irony that a Psychic cant foresee they wont have a home and do something to prevent it ? And you are not a Guest, it is your home, the same as the Bird. There is a saying a bit like this, " a house guest is a bit like a fish, nice for a couple of days then they start to stink "

Keep your bird!

I wouldn't allow anyone to make me get rid of a pet. I would and have put myself at risk to defend my pets. I sure wouldn't let some new age psycho lady tell me her visions and what the voices in her head tell her to say.

PETOFTHEDAY:"Re: Setting a pet parrot free in its natural habitat?Yes, it's illegal, as well as being just plain wrong. She sounds like a nutjob who is making stuff up and claiming it is what the bird wants, when in fact it is what she wants to happen.Tell her Peeko himself is psychic, and if he seems upset, it is because her being there is a "disturbance in the Force" according to him. Seriously, his situation is changed by her presence. He was there first ... she should be the one to adjust, not him!"

^ROFL, this made my day!

As nutty as this will sound, I have some empathic qualities, especially with animals. I don't hear their thoughts or see images, nor do I hear plants scream. :p Simply put, I can sense fear, sadness, anger or happiness in people or animals as soon as they walk in the room or if I'm near the animal (birds are much harder for me to read, lol).

Even as weird as I am, this lady sounds to me, like a selfish, pushy, know it all nut-job.

I live in South Texas and 45 minutes in this heat (90º to 101º fahrenheit by mid-day) would kill my birds. I imagine that your climate may be very similar. Best of luck with everything. In my opinion your parrot has much more of a right to stay than that lady. She needs to GO! :mad:

Even as weird as I am, this lady sounds to me, like a selfish, pushy, know it all nut-job.

I live in South Texas and 45 minutes in this heat (90º to 101º fahrenheit by mid-day) would kill my birds. I imagine that your climate may be very similar. Best of luck with everything. In my opinion your parrot has much more of a right to stay than that lady. She needs to GO! :mad:

Well said.

I can empathise with high temperatures, at my last location, we hit 47 degrees Celcius one day (I have no idea what that is on the old-fashioned scale, but it's HOT) with many other days over 40. We moved from an eastern state (NSW) to the mid-north of Western Australia with 16 birds in the car, in February (this continent's hottest month, usually). Luckily, we didn't experience any ridiculous temperatures until close to our destination; any stops when it was hot meant leaving the car running with a/c on. I had no say in the timing (or the actuality) of the move, which was for work. I can't wait to retire to Tasmania where there highest temp ever recorded at the town our house is at was 28.5C.

That nut job won't be there for long, even your dad will tire of that BS very quickly. Just try to keep the peace and hang in there. :) I'm very sorry you're in the situation you're in, and I hope you find a way out of it.

Mike17, that's extremely hot! 40C= 104F (I'm a nerd, I had to look it up). 47C=117F. WOW. :eek: On June 29th we hit 106F= 41C.

We have a lot of humidity here. The Gulf of Mexico is 232km away. Is your area where you live a desert dry heat or is it humid?

I think you should return the lady to her natural habitat, a local bridge living in a cardboard box.

Mike17, that's extremely hot! 40C= 104F (I'm a nerd, I had to look it up). 47C=117F. WOW. :eek: On June 29th we hit 106F= 41C.

We have a lot of humidity here. The Gulf of Mexico is 232km away. Is your area where you live a desert dry heat or is it humid?

Phoebe, where I was until February is classed as semi-arid, about 400mm rain annually, but usually quite dry (as in, not humid). It's about 700km from the ocean. Where I've moved to on the WA coast is almost desert, about 200mm annually (although only 68mm so far this year) but gets a strong seabreeze most days so is quite humid, probably not as humid as where you are (if it were, I'd be dead, I hate humidity combined with high temps) but if we get an easterly wind it can be very hot, the record here is 49C, we had several days at or over 40C even after we'd arrived mid-February. They are fairly rare though it averages 30-32C maximum through summer months. We are quite a bit further north now, in fact not far from the Tropic of Capricorn. Summers in Australia can vary quite markedly, the previous two summers over east were very wet, so consequently cool (more cloud around, for a start). Summers can vary over in the west too, particularly if there are tropical cyclones (hurricanes) about but most of those fall to our north.

Mike17, I wish we had some variation in our weather here. It's always hot and humid. Occasionally, in the winter, a cold front will drop our temps lower (we wear coats when it's 10C, lol ). But by the afternoon, the sweltering heat returns, for the most part.

Australia is so beautiful. I've only seen it on tv but it seems absolutely breathtaking.

Mike17, I wish we had some variation in our weather here. It's always hot and humid. Occasionally, in the winter, a cold front will drop our temps lower (we wear coats when it's 10C, lol ). But by the afternoon, the sweltering heat returns, for the most part.

Australia is so beautiful. I've only seen it on tv but it seems absolutely breathtaking.

The coast here is very nice, although it's a long coast- it's 900km to Perth from here, a long drive in one day! Much of this country actually has a quite benign climate. A climate like yours would only be found in the far north, where not all that many people live. Or would want to live, for that matter! Even Melbourne can have to occasional hot day in summer, while they're rare in Tasmania, hence wanting to go there to live, I've had 40 years traipsing around, much of that in deserts, or sub-tropics or tropics. Tired of heat!

I've travelled this country extensively with work and prior to that, Navy, and absolutely love it. If you ever get to OZ, make sure you allow plenty of time, and I'll put in a plug for NZ- it's fantastic, quite different to Oz, and they still speak English (well, sort of:)). Plus it's close.

Mike17, I hope to travel somewhere beautiful someday. I'm kinda stuck in this podunk, lame town for now. :( My 2 kids and their private school tuition is what I'll be a slave to for a few more years.

NZ looks SO amazing. I've seen LOTRs about 100 times (nerd alert), so that exquisite place is sort of stuck in my mind. ;)

FaeryPhoebe1,

Take the plunge. Get some friends and Forum members together and have an adventure. Go and see NZ, Aus. and Tas. You speak the language, and it is quite safe in all places. Many people wait until they retire for the great adventure, and their health will then limit what they can do. Nearly every small town will have a park with toilets and a barby. And on the road, there are " Grey Nomads " These are retired people that buy a 4x and caravan and travel the country. They often park in groups on the side of the road, as there are often places set up for this with water, tables toilets and barby's.

Many National Parks have camping area's and you can see / interact with the wildlife. If you have a look, there are many Forum members around Aus, and I for one can show you ( or others ) around this part. I can get you into places to camp, where there is fishing, swimming and much wildlife. TV has a lot to answer for, most of us are quite civil and many of us don't have beer for breakfast ! We also have a Gold rush history, and a wide range of Gem-stones. There is something for everyone. Feel free to ask questions, I have traveled around the country and the internet makes the world a small place.

Mike17, I hope to travel somewhere beautiful someday. I'm kinda stuck in this podunk, lame town for now. :( My 2 kids and their private school tuition is what I'll be a slave to for a few more years.

NZ looks SO amazing. I've seen LOTRs about 100 times (nerd alert), so that exquisite place is sort of stuck in my mind. ;)

Emigrate! We always welcome skilled migrants:) Schooling here is (close to) free. So is medical care. Plenty of Americans come here to visit and love it so much they stay. My university professor (History) is one such (I'm doing a degree, my 4th, via distance education, so I've not actually met him).

I agree about LOTR, although that wasn't what took my wife & I there. It's an incredible country and set up for tourists better than Oz. Unfortunately, they have high unemployment so many Kiwis come over the pond for work. I actually considered retiring there but the birds were a problem so we chose Tasmania instead. Not that I'm retired yet, unfortunately.

Sorry for the long hold on responding to this, but as I promised, I'll give everyone an update as to what has happened since then.

The crazy people living in my house had pretty much won. Peeko my parrot is gone, and theres nothing I can do about it.
However, it isn't all bad. I believe he went to a better home than he had here, and especially the place I first got him from. The people he went to were nice and loved birds and had a few different types of parrots of their own, so they were experienced. They so far have able to train him to do tricks which is something I could never do. They tell me now he gives kisses, shows his muscles, dances, holds hands, etc. This is a picture they sent me in his new home:
2l89ops.jpg

Im really glad Peeko got the better end of the situation. I miss him, but it may have been for the best. As for me though, believe it or not to this day I am STILL stuck with these crazy people.

They are showing no signs of moving out any time soon and things aren't getting better. My 3 cats have been kicked outside even in the cold weather and when they weren't spayed. Luckily though I got them spayed shortly after being tossed outside. Just recently though, one of mine got bitten by a spider and now I have to wrap her paw with gauze every day, and I feel this wouldnt have happened had I been able to keep my cats indoors.

The cats aren't the only thing outside either- our microwave is, too. Yep, the microwave. The lady doesnt like microwaves because she thinks they give you cancer and gives her headaches even when it isnt on. Now if I ever want some ramen at 11 at night I have to go out in the patio in the freezing cold. Shes also gotten rid of our Dawn dish soap because she thinks thats bad too, a lot of our other cleaning products, and other stuff. She uses her own junk (vinegar is one of them) that makes the floor stick and stinks up the entire house. This entire situation is driving me up the wall. My dad is no better either because he agrees with everything they say and takes their word over mine and my moms and they always come first. I've always had little respect for my father for reasons other than this, but this one just takes the cake. We pretty much live the way they live now. No privacy, every time we go in the kitchen, the guy is always there on his laptop which makes me feel self conscious every time I want to go get food. Hes either on his computer or asleep all day in our living room. We cant use our TV or anything because thats where it is. My mom wants to move back with her dad in Washington. I could really use some ways to secretly drive these "house guests" away.

Bring the microwave in and put some bleach with Dawn in it on high and microwave them out?

No, don't do that.

My advice would be to get that job going, get some money saved and get out on your own ASAP as it doesn't look like the situation is going to improve for you. :(

Glad to see that Peeko got a good home. Just too bad it wasn't with you.

Wow. Just wow.

Sounds like those "guests" need to be kicked out!! If a guest didn't like certain things in my house and started causing issues like that I would most certainly tell them to GET OUT and find somewhere else to live. I'm so sorry you had to rehome your baby, I really hope things turn around for you!

Are these people even related to you??

Yikes! I understand the challange of living in an authoritarian parent's home. That said, the facts are simple -

*this person is a TEMPORARY guest in YOUR home, how the hell can she be making any comments other than "thank you for graciously opening your home to me, preventing me from living on the street"??!!
*Peeko is your beloved pet and he should not have to pay the price for her neurotic (and loony IMO) ideas.
*Peeko WILL die if he is released. It would be like releasing a 5yo child : "There you go, Timmy. Good luck and have a nice life". What???
*Your family situation being what it is, you're infortunately caught between a rock and a hard place and you don't have much chance of winning a battle against your dad (if I read the situation correctly).

I would urge you to rehome Peeko with good people that you've thouroughly vetted beforehand if you cannot find a way to make it work with your parents. Please please DO NOT "release" him!

Good luck with this difficult situation!

Long story short: The lady is telling us that the bird wants to be set free. Peeko is a 2 year old male YC Amazon that isn't completely hand tame but is dependent on food and water out of bowls. Is it possible to rehome a parrot such as this into the wild (not locally- a native area like South America) or a zoo? I'd like to see him go to a more experienced parrot owner that can give him more attention. What do you think is the most responsible choice?
:green2:

LONG STORY SHORT: THAT WOULD BE A DEATH SENTENCE IN 99.5% OF THE CASES...

Your bird is captive bred. In the wild, the bird's mom and dad would take the baby around and show him the ropes. He would learn how to find food and water. He would learn how to find shelter and make nests. He would learn to protect himself from predators, and would have the protection of a flock around him...

YOUR BIRD HAS NONE OF THOSE SKILLS.

He would either starve to death, or die of thirst, or be a sitting duck for predators.

REHOME HIM IF YOU MUST, BUT DON'T JUST TURN HIM LOOSE TO DIE A SLOW LINGERING DEATH FROM STARVATION!!! THAT IS ABSOLUTE AS WRONG, AND AS IRRESPONSIBLE AS IT POSSIBLY GETS!!!

YOU ALREADY KNOW SHE IS A NUTBALL RIGHT?! TELEPATHICALLY IN TOUCH WITH YOUR BIRD, EH?!

Once again, I am late to the party and didn't get far enough down. I am SOOO glad you did right by your bird. It may be hard, but your bird is better off now! THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back