Senegal parrot horrible story

Yeah, I notice even Amazon carries it. To be sure: this is the product that I got with me: F10 SC Veterinary Disinfectant 6 8 oz 200mlBig Reptile World for all snake, lizard, tortoise, turtle and amphibian books, supplies and supplementsF10 SC Veterinary Disinfectant 6 8 oz 200ml (no links with seller or producer).

The vet advised to clean the cage outside, (remove & dispose of the toys), and repeat after a week. Also, clean the area of the cage and make sure to vacuum a few times before cleaning this area; this either removes the dust or makes it airborne, in which case misting will remove it.

He seemed pretty confident that it will work if applied properly. He himself uses a bath big enough to host/submerge a cage, but said misting (twice, as described above) would be just as effective, at the recommended dilution of 1:125.

As always: buyer beware - I have no stake in mentioning this product, but the recommendation comes from a reliable source. (and I know where he lives. ;) ) In case of doubt, or if this product is not approved in your country, ask your own vet first.

Glad you were able to get in contact with this new vet! I hope you are able to bring in another bird(s) in the future without having to deal with PBFD again!

I'm also very thankful that you've kept us up to date about this entire situation!

It was one of the little ironies that this vet lives so close (5 minutes drive); in fact, he's situated about 200 meters from my personal GP... He (they, it's a group practice of 3 vets and 3 nurses) was also recommended by the ... shop (they didn't even know I lived in the same area). I doubt the shop would have done that if they knew they were selling sick birds.

A couple of days before all this happened I stopped at this vet to make an appointment to a) scan the birds for diseases (...), b) to repair their clipped feathers, and c) microchip them.

They were on vacation that week, so I planned to visit them the week after...

Even more ironic is that the vet we have been using for years is pretty famous too (he appears in a reality TV-show), but he's not specialized in birds and sends his patients to other vets (guess which one...) if they have a bird problem. That's not counting our other vet who specializes in koi (carp), does house visits, and appears in the same reality show. So one might say I'm spoiled in that area. Still, it wouldn't have helped the poor birds.

Oh well, I hope I'll be able to contribute on less dramatic threads here in the future. Despite everything that happened, I still strongly feel the pull of these birds, and particularly the Senegals. I'm glad my wife feels the same: they stole her heart too in a matter of hours...

I'm trying to look at it philosophically; pets can be an incredible source of joy, but sometimes you encounter heart breaking situations. We once had to put down a perfectly "healthy" beautiful Maine Coon because he had contracted feline HIV in a fight with other cats. He could have lived a long time, but the risk to our other cats (and neighborhood cats...) was just too big.

On the other hand, we have kept cats alive that were given weeks by a vet, and lived for another 5 and 7 years. Also, one of our labradors has seizures, and needs medication twice a day at fixed times. She has been living for 8 years with this (now controlled) illness, and she's one of the happiest puppies you could ever meet. :)

Dusting off & moving on... ;)

Moved on indeed, and hope to "close" this thread to start happier ones.

As of one hour ago, we have two new 4 month old Senegals.

The cage has been treated 3 times, all toys have been replaced, there's new flooring, paint and curtains (not just because of the birds, mind), so we are off to a completely fresh start.

Credit where credit is due: the birds were provided by the pet shop for free, and have been transported (by them) from the breeder straight to our doorstep. Including test certificates, with tests done on 12/12. They promised they would make it up to us, and they did.

The birds (brother and sister) are beautiful, and although I'm trying to not get too attached to them yet, it's not working. ;)

Hope you start a new thread with their picture!

Just read this whole thread... I can't say enough of how you have expressed your experience, and how your ordeal can and hopefully will, help someone else that MIGHT get into the same situation.

Other's experiences are actually teaching lessons that we all can use.

I am VERY sorry for your loss as I know how these wonderful creatures (birds) can steal your heart, and the long lasting impression they leave.

You MUST NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!!! You did ALL you could, tried ALL the avenues that you and your vet could think of to help your little friends out!
PBFD is a VERY difficult thing to diagnose, and there really isn't a whole lot you could have done even if you found out early.

I admire your persistence and devotion in trying the save these wonders of nature and your friends.... but sometimes "we" just can't!

I am happy to hear that you did find out what the cause was, and have treated the area for your new guys... you don't want to go through that again!

Keep us updated about their progress!

Thank You for sharing a difficult story!

Bill

That's great news! So glad to hear that you have moved forward from your first tragedy and now have two new babies to be a part of your lives. Congratulations! And thank you for updating us. It means a lot to all the members of this board!

Please post pictures soon! Can't wait to see them!

So very sorry, sometimes, even with our best intentions, a family pet will die unexpectedly.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
So sad for your loss, and happy for your new adventure with your babies:) Can't wait to see pictures!

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I'm also sorry your birdkeeping adventure started so roughly. I hope if you decide to continue keeping parrots that you find the right one for you and your family, and have a happy life together.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back