Regurgitating for another bird

mmb

Jun 7, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hey, so I have a bit of a question. I have two GCC (a pair of siblings) that were born either January/February (I got them in May and was told they were about 3-4 months old). The one (yellow-side named Duckie) unfortunately injured her leg attempting to fly (wings were already clipped before I purchased them and she landed wrong). Duckie is doing a lot better now (just has a slight waddle when she walks and we are still trying to help her regain the weight she lost while injured). The odd thing is that once she was placed back with our other GCC (pineapple named Mojito who turned a bit nasty when we had to separate them due to the injury), he taught himself how to regurgitate food and has been attempting to feed her (and has actually been successful, as she started gaining/maintaining her weight since he started doing so).

From what I read, this is usually a ‘courting’ behavior or something parents do to feed their young. But I thought the two were too young for courting behavior and I know they are the same age as they are both still growing.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Is this typical? Can they start showing courting behaviors before their first year of life?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back