Plucking behaviour african grey

bjorn.k

Sep 2, 2024
Parrots
African grey
Hey all,

I joined this forum today because of the issues my African grey Eevee currently has. if you have any helpfull comments or any tip or even tricks i would love to hear them.

Chronological time order:

Parrot started plucking 3 weeks ago, and ofcourse i went to the vet the check if nothing was wrong with here medically speaking. At the vet they told me that they have the idea that Eevee was hand fed and raised which is now forbidden in The Netherlands. Everything was checked and a medical reason was ruled out by them. furthermore Eevee just turned 3 years old and they told me that this is a comen phenomenon with african grey when they are hand vet

And so came the questions from the vet in regards to routine. So to completely inform you all i shall write that down aswell.

My parrot goes to bed at 9 Pm every evening and wakes up at 7 Am every day. From 7 Am till 8 she can do whatever she wants outside of the cage. At 8 Am i go to work till 4 Pm. When i am back at 4 i take here out of here cage and she is out of here cage till bed time at 9 Pm. All here toys within here cage are swapped weekly and the food that i give is Harrisons. Ofcourse every now and then a treat inbetween.

I noticed in the last week that she only plucks when she is going into here cage when its bedtime. And she does this within her sleeping cage and also in her normally cage.

I already tried alot hopefully some of you have some helpfull information

Plucking is a mysterious and inconsistent visitor to our birds Whatever you find out (I'm no expert) please know we sympathize and empathize and care.

As you can see in this concurrent thread plucking is truly the great equalizer, cruel and mysterious.
I made a heart-felt reply there that applies to you, too, I think.
YOU ARE DOING SO MANY THNGS RIGHT! My only idea for you might be to try to let your bird have a natural light schedule, up at dawn, down at dusk... that gives a "natural" light. schedule for feathers, mating urges, etc. But hey, my bird has always had that and he started to puck with a new drug!
Please know we are all with you. I recommend a lot of talk and listening, and use of the excellent search engine.
Stay with us. :)

You are both completely right! i will tryto slowly incorporate the light shedule maybe it works

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back