New cockatiel owner here! Would love to interact with members :)

maryoten

Sep 13, 2024
Parrots
cockatiel (soon!)
Hello! I am a soon-to-be cockatiel owner and I am SO EXCITED!!

I've had lovebirds and budgies before a couple years back, but I never really trained any of them, or created a super strong bond, which is why I am so excited to have a cockatiel!!!

My feathery friend is going to be around 12 weeks old, and possible colours include pearl, pied and cinnamon! Sadly no white faced (which is my favourite colour!) Please let me know what your favourite bird morph is, whether it be for cockatiels or somebird else!

I have a big ol cage ready to go with natural branches, toys, cuttlefish bones and bowls and everything! I will be feeding her (probably a her) mainly pellets with a bit of grit and seed :D and chop of coursee!!

Something I am very excited for is training! I've never properly trained a bird and I hope to build a bond with my cockatiel while also mentally stimulating her :) (dont worry, I know not to go overboard and start too early or push my bird!) But the main things I want to teach her is recall, pooping (mostly) in one spot, spin, wave, and returning to her cage willingly!

I am so so so excited :)

Please comment any words you'd like to tell me, or questions about my set up as I want to take care of my baby the best I can!

thanks so much,

May!

Congratulations on your new bird! Sorry if I missed it but have you picked out a name?
Happy training!

I've had lovebirds and budgies before a couple years back, but I never really trained any of them, or created a super strong bond, which is why I am so excited to have a cockatiel!!!

My feathery friend is going to be around 12 weeks old, and possible colours include pearl, pied and cinnamon! Sadly no white faced (which is my favourite colour!) Please let me know what your favourite bird morph is, whether it be for cockatiels or somebird else!

I have a big ol cage ready to go with natural branches, toys, cuttlefish bones and bowls and everything! I will be feeding her (probably a her) mainly pellets with a bit of grit and seed :D and chop of coursee!!

Something I am very excited for is training! I've never properly trained a bird and I hope to build a bond with my cockatiel while also mentally stimulating her :) (dont worry, I know not to go overboard and start too early or push my bird!) But the main things I want to teach her is recall, pooping (mostly) in one spot, spin, wave, and returning to her cage willingly!

Please comment any words you'd like to tell me, or questions about my set up as I want to take care of my baby the best I can!

thanks so much,

May!
Welcome to PF.

Parrots in general and for sure cockatiels don’t need grit so don’t give it to them/her.

I have had all the mutations you listed.
Pied and white face are my favorites.
But lutino’s are beautiful too .

You may want to keep baby bird formula on hand n case your bird regress to baby behavior.
This can happen in young birds when first brought home.

Hey there! Fellow cockatiel slave here! My second oldest bird is 23-year-old Redshift, who lost his mate when he was 18. She was 19. I love love love cockatiels. They're my favorite bird other than my pionus and conure. Oh who am I kidding - they're all my favorite birds! LOL!

As for what my favorite mutation is : I've got a soft spot for pearl-pied-cinnamon cockatiel hens!

Congratulations on your new bird! Sorry if I missed it but have you picked out a name?
Happy training!
thank u so much! and no, i haven't picked a name because I have yet to meet my birb and want to see her personality :)
(for context, I'm due to meet a clutch of cockatiels in a week and a half)

Welcome to PF.

Parrots in general and for sure cockatiels don’t need grit so don’t give it to them/her.

I have had all the mutations you listed.
Pied and white face are my favorites.
But lutino’s are beautiful too .

You may want to keep baby bird formula on hand n case your bird regress to baby behavior.
This can happen in young birds when first brought home.
ah okay! I wont give her any grit, thanks for telling me! now I have a huge bag lol... maybe ill give it to my neighbours who have some chooks

ill keep an eye out for baby behaviour thank you very much!

Hey there! Fellow cockatiel slave here! My second oldest bird is 23-year-old Redshift, who lost his mate when he was 18. She was 19. I love love love cockatiels. They're my favorite bird other than my pionus and conure. Oh who am I kidding - they're all my favorite birds! LOL!

As for what my favorite mutation is : I've got a soft spot for pearl-pied-cinnamon cockatiel hens!
LOL love that ur calling urself a cockatiel slave

ur birds sound soo cutee!!! and im so glad u like cockatiels too hehe :D
ur fav mutation is so based!! I love pearl-pied-cinnamon cockatiel hens as well! altho my FAV has to be pearl-white faced-cinnamon :3

thank u so much! and no, i haven't picked a name because I have yet to meet my birb and want to see her personality :)
(for context, I'm due to meet a clutch of cockatiels in a week and a half)
That's soo exciting! I'm excited for you. Please keep us updated with name and pictures! 😀

Welcome to the forum! It's awesome to read your excitement, I bet you're counting the days until you meet that clutch❤️
I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pics!

thanks so much,

May!
Congratulations, and welcome! :) No grit necessary, so that will save you a step. Cockatiels are prone to potential night frights, so that’s something to consider. You might want to get a night light if that becomes an issue. Cockatiels are dusty, so you might consider an air purifier if that’s an issue. Sounds like you have a good plan for perches and toys, I’m sure your bird is going to love it!

Most Reactions

Back