Green cheek conure or Indian ringnecks

AD8

Aug 19, 2012
Hi all,
Unfortunately after many wonderful years, my quaker recently passed away. He was a great bird, would sing, talk and eas never aggressive but was extremely noisy.

I plan in the near future to buy another bird, which I'm currently exploring GCC or an IDR.

I know personalities are very different but would be keen to hear people's opinions. The plan would be to buy a hand reared baby from a breeder.

Although I would like a bird who can talk, this is not a deal breaker as know the GCC are less likely to talk compared to the IRN.

I do need a bird though that would be family friendly even if more attached to one person.

Work both in the office and at home, so time out would vary from 3-6 hours per day.

Thanks for your help.

Hi all,
Unfortunately after many wonderful years, my quaker recently passed away. He was a great bird, would sing, talk and eas never aggressive but was extremely noisy.

I plan in the near future to buy another bird, which I'm currently exploring GCC or an IDR.

I know personalities are very different but would be keen to hear people's opinions. The plan would be to buy a hand reared baby from a breeder.

Although I would like a bird who can talk, this is not a deal breaker as know the GCC are less likely to talk compared to the IRN.

I do need a bird though that would be family friendly even if more attached to one person.

Work both in the office and at home, so time out would vary from 3-6 hours per day.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Among both the birds your are trying to choose from I will say that Indian Red neck is a better pet for someone with prior experience like you, GCC are awesome but do not have the same level of intelligence. Indian are decent talkers. I have had one for 2 years and another for a year. So my experience with them is limited but memorable.

Enjoy the exercise of finding a new bird. I visited 3 breeders before I bought my 2nd sun conure.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Among both the birds your are trying to choose from I will say that Indian Red neck is a better pet for someone with prior experience like you, GCC are awesome but do not have the same level of intelligence. Indian are decent talkers. I have had one for 2 years and another for a year. So my experience with them is limited but memorable.

Enjoy the exercise of finding a new bird. I visited 3 breeders before I bought my 2nd sun conure.
Thanks for the reply - that is very helpful.

Have to say I was set on getting a GCC previously until I saw some videos of the the Indian ring neck and they look amazing characters.

How are yours for noise? Unfortunately my quaker was very noisy which my partner hated!

Thanks for the reply - that is very helpful.

Have to say I was set on getting a GCC previously until I saw some videos of the the Indian ring neck and they look amazing characters.

How are yours for noise? Unfortunately my quaker was very noisy which my partner hated!
I am not sure if the Indian are less noisy compared to Quaker. I feel that they are slightly less noisy than gcc but I can be totally wrong about this. Do re-check from someone about the noise factor if it is an important point.

Ringnecks have a high pitched call, consistent with their speaking voices. Like a few other species, if Ringnecks talk they all do so in that cute squeaky toy voice. That is the hint of how loud and piercing their calls can be.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm now considering a Meyer parrot but seem hard to find in the UK. Anyone know of any breeders?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back