Flight or Bite

LizardSith

May 26, 2024
Parrots
Turquoise Green cheek conure
I have cohabited with a conure named Neptune since April. He'll be a year old in December. I've weathered his molting and enjoyed bonding with him. He plays by rolling on his back and playing with either his toys or your fingers. He's packed with personality. He loves being out of his cage and I love him out of the cage. He knows when I get home from the sound of the garage and I hear him chirping through the door loudly. He gets excited when either my wife or I get home. He is starting to mimic our whistling. We eat fruit together. He doesn't panic when he sees new people and rushed over for a head scratch. Neptune is the most amazing parrot and by far the best pet/animal/family member. He seems genuinely happy. But...

The biting.... I've tried. I've read. Although he bites significantly less, when he does, ouch. I don't pull away, yell, or make it a big production. I just put him down and walk away (which he clearly doesn't like). I don't look at him for about a minute and then I return. He eagerly jumps into my hand. He will start to nibble and then stops (he looks like he's thinking, "I just got in trouble for this").

This happens any random time. He could contently sit in my hand and then use my finger as a chew toy and it's not a nibble. It's a full on major bite. Then he looks at me as if saying, "What?". I repeat all the other steps.

It happens when it's quiet and just me or my wife and I, or the tv on, or Tuesday. It just seems random.

We love him. He's a family member. He helped us get through an unexpected family loss. He'll always be treated well and I'll continue to spend time with him.

Am I missing something? Do I make him write 100 times, I won't bite anyone anymore?

You are doing exactly the right thing. Its called shunning and its how parrots in the wild chastise unruly youngsters. Do it EVERY TIME he bites, not more then 1 min, no eye contact, etc. He will get the message eventually. Make sure it was not your fault tho, ie messing with him while he's eating or playing, sleeping. Or when he is overexcited - parrots can ramp up pretty quickly and lose a bit of their inhibitions. Know when its chill out time. Learn his body language, which can be very subtle in conures.

You are doing exactly the right thing. Its called shunning and its how parrots in the wild chastise unruly youngsters. Do it EVERY TIME he bites, not more then 1 min, no eye contact, etc. He will get the message eventually. Make sure it was not your fault tho, ie messing with him while he's eating or playing, sleeping. Or when he is overexcited - parrots can ramp up pretty quickly and lose a bit of their inhibitions. Know when its chill out time. Learn his body language, which can be very subtle in conures.
Ok. I'm guessing he's overexcited or maybe overstimulated then. That's helpful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back