Feather plucking after loss of an owner

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Good afternoon. My sister suddenly passed away on the 21st of September. I have inherited her African Gray (Charlie) and Moustache Parakeet (Milo) and she has left me here log in details for this forum in an instruction manual, saying I should ask any questions I might have here, hence I am posting on her profile.
I have never owned birds before and even though her instruction manual is quite comprehensive, there is still so many questions.
For now I need some help with the following please.
Both birds are very familiar with me as I have looked after them numerous times over weekends and holidays. The African Grey however is plucking the feathers on his chest and I am assuming that he is grieving the loss of his mom and also feeling our emotions. How do I help him to stop plucking and also help his grieving process. I bought him new toys, I make sure that he is out of the cage as much as possible and play cartoons on the tv when I am not around to keep them company. Not sure what else I can do from my side. Would really appreciate if you can give some advise.

Regards
New bird mom

My heart breaks for your loss, and the bird's... plucking is the scourge of caged parrots... fortunately, it usually isn't dangerous if the skin isn't broken.
Here's a thread that people here liked.
Also, guess I'd review diet routine and toys... try to d what your sister did, same bedtime, etc....
Stick with us. Many here face this problem, and just love their birds as is.. My 40 year old conure began plucking a bit f his neckline the last year or two. I know, it's hard.

Most Reactions

Back