Bananaquit (Sugar Bird) Natural History & Captive Care

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
A bold, “trusting” demeanor and strikingly-beautiful plumage has rendered the Bananaquit (Coereba flaveola) a popular bird both in and out of captivity. Throughout its range, hotels and restaurants attract these little dynamos with bowls of sugar water, much to the delight of their patrons. Bananaquits provided me with an excellent introduction to softbill-keeping when I began working for bird importers and zoos, and they remain a hardy favorite of aviculturists worldwide. Read article here: The Bananaquit or Sugar Bird - Natural History and Captive Care | That Bird Blog
Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Bird Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Bird Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank

My Bio That Bird Blog Authors | That Bird Blog

Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks so much for the kind words. Nice to see you are keeping some aracaris and mousebirds. Let me know if you need links to softbill or "other" bird articles, I focus on them often in my writing. I've also worked with many inverts....mystery snails are a favorite. Several species are sold under that name; some lay eggs above water line, young drop below when hatching. Worth lowering the water level a bit if possible, if you've not seen this (not all species do this, however...if yours lay in water I'm sure the fish make short work of them).

Please keep me posted, enjoy, Frank

Most Reactions

Back