African Grey Timneh

The kind of fluffing up where you look at him, or he looks at you, and he briefly fluffs his whole body for like 5 or 10 seconds is just "hi" in bird body language. I think pretty much all of my birds over the years would typically fluff once if I came into the room and said their name, for example. Its "I see you, and we're good." There is a more extreme version of this that usually involves something like hanging upsidedown from the roof of the cage, swaying back an forth, and seemingly every feather on his body sticking out, and that one is more like "look at me, I'm beautiful". Sometimes they do it when they are feeling very agressive, and then it is less "I'm big and beautiful" than "I'm big and dangerous". But its done with a certain inflection, and for me it is usually clear the difference. Its not so much of a brief puff, but more sustained with a somewhat lowered head. My parrots will "greeting fluff" to me from 25 feet away. At that distance they usually dont make aggression displays. I feel like fluffing first then walking away is probably "Thank you kind sir for the offer, I apprecite the gesture, but at this time I am politely declining - perhaps tomorrow". It probably beats a "go to hell" which may be considered progress. The really important thing for making progress is never to push things past the point where "offer declined". Knowing that you will not push it, and that HE is in control of the choice, should eventually make him feel safe to say yes at some point. This does not preclude using bribes, such as "if you step on my hand you can have this treat", just make sure if he declines hand and treat are withdrawn. Its his choice!

Parrots also have a lot more conscious control over their pupils than people, and they flash them small (eye pinning), for a few seconds, and often repeatedly, when they get excited, even when the light level doesn't change. If you are up close and you see lots of eye pinning maybe hold back any intended physical contact or proximity - they might be in a cheeky mood. Mine conspicuously do it when they see they are about to get a treat - it is a catch all for "I'm in a heightened state". Parrots flash their pupils to other parrots as a warning. But they don't tend to make allowances for not knowing the language and may go straight to biting if you tresspass - after all in their mind (I almost wrote "in their eyes") you were cleary warned. But a parrot with continuously fluffed out head feathers means "relaxed". Before you get bitten the head feathers will probably be flat, though as humans we are often too stupid to follow the progression with the required rappidly!

Last edited:
The kind of fluffing up where you look at him, or he looks at you, and he briefly fluffs his whole body for like 5 or 10 seconds is just "hi" in bird body language. I think pretty much all of my birds over the years would typically fluff once if I came into the room and said their name, for example. Its "I see you, and we're good." There is a more extreme version of this that usually involves something like hanging upsidedown from the roof of the cage, swaying back an forth, and seemingly every feather on his body sticking out, and that one is more like "look at me, I'm beautiful". Sometimes they do it when they are feeling very agressive, and then it is less "I'm big and beautiful" than "I'm big and dangerous". But its done with a certain inflection, and for me it is usually clear the difference. Its not so much of a brief puff, but more sustained with a somewhat lowered head. My parrots will "greeting fluff" to me from 25 feet away. At that distance they usually dont make aggression displays. I feel like fluffing first then walking away is probably "Thank you kind sir for the offer, I apprecite the gesture, but at this time I am politely declining - perhaps tomorrow". It probably beats a "go to hell" which may be considered progress. The really important thing for making progress is never to push things past the point where "offer declined". Knowing that you will not push it, and that HE is in control of the choice, should eventually make him feel safe to say yes at some point. This does not preclude using bribes, such as "if you step on my hand you can have this treat", just make sure if he declines hand and treat are withdrawn. Its his choice!

Parrots also have a lot more conscious control over their pupils than people, and they flash them small (eye pinning), for a few seconds, and often repeatedly, when they get excited, even when the light level doesn't change. If you are up close and you see lots of eye pinning maybe hold back any intended physical contact or proximity - they might be in a cheeky mood. Mine conspicuously do it when they see they are about to get a treat - it is a catch all for "I'm in a heightened state". Parrots flash their pupils to other parrots as a warning. But they don't tend to make allowances for not knowing the language and may go straight to biting if you tresspass - after all in their mind (I almost wrote "in their eyes") you were cleary warned. But a parrot with continuously fluffed out head feathers means "relaxed". Before you get bitten the head feathers will probably be flat, though as humans we are often too stupid to follow the progression with the required rappidly!
Thank You Very Much . Also I Don't and Can't Dance , But the other night He was swaying and moving back and forth on the perch outside and on top of the cage And I was doing it too . It was Funny & Fun , I thought it might have been Good & Fun for him .
I had an Eclectus years ago like 30 - 20 years ago but he was Not a Grey and he was Totally tame and Different . The Pet store sold him to me much to young , the VET said take him back immediately , they sold me Formula and I weaned him with a Giant Syringe . So he thought I was his Mother . And he was just Totally Tame and a Baby . Then I was going to court constantly for a house , a Car , Custidy , Child support etc. Far away , I had a guy Baby sitting my Parrot when I got back with him . He said OH I gave Him away ! Whether he gave him away or let him go I Don't know , we're No longer Friends .

Last edited:
Hand raised parrots are a whole special category. My young hand reared CAG gets on my shoulder then demands to be held like a baby for long periods by rolling upside down in my arms. But a parrot like yours that seemingly spent a long time in partial isolation with many homes, whether originally hand reared or not, is going to have some armor. But they are social animals, and need to bond a least a little to be happy. So long term all the forces are aligned in your favor. Just remember to allow him to be who he is, regardless of how much or how little overt affection he expresses.

Last edited:
Hand raised parrots are a whole special category. My young hand reared CAG gets on my shoulder then demands to be held like a baby for long periods by rolling upside down in my arms. But a parrot like yours that seemingly spent a long time in partial isolation with many homes, whether originally hand reared or not, is going to have some armor. But they are social animals, and need to bond a least a little to be happy. So long term all the forces are aligned in your favor. Just remember to allow him to be who he is, regardless of how much or how little overt affection he expresses.
Yeah he'll take food from my hand all day long BUT Doesn't want to step onto my Hand , it's Frustrating , I Know I won't hurt Him But he's unsure I guess , He also sometimes Rolls his Head Rapidly in an oval in front of himself , The Girl who gave him to me said ... That means Get the F@*k away from me ....??? What do You think ?

Hand training your bird is an easy one, probably even for a 40 year old. Hand training is one of the first things people tend to teach, and you can just keep trying, or be methodical and use something like target training. If he learns what you are asking for, especially if he gets something valuable out of it, it should not be that hard. Take a look at this and other videos from the same channel.

Yeah he'll take food from my hand all day long BUT Doesn't want to step onto my Hand , it's Frustrating , I Know I won't hurt Him But he's unsure I guess , He also sometimes Rolls his Head Rapidly in an oval in front of himself , The Girl who gave him to me said ... That means Get the F@*k away from me ....??? What do You think ?
I got my timneh on a Monday Night so I don't count that I count Tuesday His First full Day with me . After 2 1/2 weeks I moved his Big cage closer on Thursday late afternoon He went in it on his own , and at bed time he still stayed in there , so He now has the Big cage . He is slowly getting Nicer . At not quite 3 weeks , he has bitten me twice once cutting me & once only hurt . And stepped onto my hand about 5 times . So He's getting Better !

Years ago I used to get a Magazine , I think it was called " Bird Talk " anyone know about how you get a subscription ? I can't find it on internet , only single issues . like on E bay or something . Now Sunday night , I've read Books that say it could take up to 6 months . Now under three weeks He's being REALLY good sitting on my hand letting me scratch his Head ! I don't know what everything means , he's moving his mouth kinda rapidly but not saying anything & dropping his wings Druping wings . Mouthing me But Not Biting and scratching his beak between my Fingers . Does anyone know what this means ? While He's sitting on my hand . I'm GLAD , I think He's accepting me

Last edited:
My Timneh has come a long way in 3 weeks , He'll sit on my hand now . The girl who gave him to me said he plucked feathers , his neck IS plucked . My problem now is , He'll sit on my hand while I'm in my recliner , he'll put his head down and let me pet his head . BUT He'll also put his head down and pluck tiny little feathers out of the front of his neck . Right in Front of me !! What do I do ? How do you make him STOP this ?
A Friend said OH , He's Preening BUT No , He's pulling out Little Wee Feathers ! And He does it Right in Front of me .

I Really Don't have Much of this Guys History . I was told he is 30 to 40 years old & Treated Badly .I was told that the Second owner when He wouldn't be quiet they shut him in a Little cardboard box . I am the FOURTH owner . I was told his Name is " ROCKY " . Can you / ME change his name at this age to like Roger ? I have his new cage set up in front of him about 6 feet away . He can see it constantly , But when I moved it close to the cage He's in he seemed scared , His new toys are in it , should I take them out ? He has NO toys now . Just an old sock hanging in current cage . Some food vegetables he just drops unless I hold them for Him . Thanks for Helping Me !
Start slow and remove the old sock or replace it with a clean cotton sock if he enjoys it. I'd introduce 1 toy at a time and let him get used to them. They like music. If you can put a classical music station on for him- not too loud-- it can help him relax in his new home. I'd wait changing his name for now until he's used to his new environment. He's been through a lot and sounds scared. He may not be familiar with vegetables so holding them's a good idea for now or putting them in a wide dish separate from pellets/other food. Sounds like he suffered some trauma from the 2nd owner- I hope with enough love and patience he'll gain confidence and feel he'll have a forever home at long last.

Start slow and remove the old sock or replace it with a clean cotton sock if he enjoys it. I'd introduce 1 toy at a time and let him get used to them. They like music. If you can put a classical music station on for him- not too loud-- it can help him relax in his new home. I'd wait changing his name for now until he's used to his new environment. He's been through a lot and sounds scared. He may not be familiar with vegetables so holding them's a good idea for now or putting them in a wide dish separate from pellets/other food. Sounds like he suffered some trauma from the 2nd owner- I hope with enough love and patience he'll gain confidence and feel he'll have a forever home at long last.
Start slow and remove the old sock or replace it with a clean cotton sock if he enjoys it. I'd introduce 1 toy at a time and let him get used to them. They like music. If you can put a classical music station on for him- not too loud-- it can help him relax in his new home. I'd wait changing his name for now until he's used to his new environment. He's been through a lot and sounds scared. He may not be familiar with vegetables so holding them's a good idea for now or putting them in a wide dish separate from pellets/other food. Sounds like he suffered some trauma from the 2nd owner- I hope with enough love and patience he'll gain confidence and feelI he'll have a forever home at long last.
I've had Him now 2 1/2 Months , He's in his new " Macaw cage" , He's outside of it all day now . I finally got him on Pellets , He wouldn't eat Fresh vegetables But now he will eat Frozen vegetables . It took me 3 weeks before he would stop Biting me , now he likes to sit on me and have his head petted . He has lots of toys but doesn't seem to know what to do with them . He will chew on some Maple sapling tree Disc's I cut for him . I decided to keep his name the same " Rocky " . He does Pluck , he was plucked when I got him , still plucking I wish he would stop . I live in the Hills / woods can't get a classical radio station so when I leave I play slower music like the Animals , White Mansions , Creedence , Etta James . He would fall off his perch at Night , I heard his wings going and hit the bottom of cage , so I put in a Dog cushion and leave the cover up at bottom a little . His nails were so over grown Damn near growing into his feet , Found an " Exotic Vet". about 70 miles away cost me $190 to do his nails . I try to teach him things like ," I'm Melting , That's just so Ridiculous , You're full of Baloney , Yum Yum Give Me Some , It's Magic , When I let him out in the morning I say Attica , Attica , Attica , But He has Not picked up anything I say . Some one Did teach Him " good Morning & It's time for Bed " I'm Trying so if you have more advice ....Tell Me suggestions . Thank You .

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back