Acrylic collar damaged my parrots neck. Will he get function back?

Zircon

Jun 29, 2024
Parrots
25 year old Senegal
19 year old Jenday Conure
My 25 yo Senegal had to have a back right toe amputated. The vet put an acrylic collar on him to protect the wound. He wore it for about 2 months. When I took it off he was unable to turn his head around to rest his head on his back. He also canā€™t get his head to a place where he can preen his tail feathers or use the oil gland. The gland had to be disimpacted. And several tail feathers had to be removed on right side of tail. From the gland to the right side of the tail is still swollen and inflamed; even after the feathers were removed and gland disimpacted. Bet denies that the collar would have damaged him in this way but on day one of removing collar he had this disability. The collar was removed the beginning of May. Iā€™m trying to give him things to pick up to build up any muscle that may have atrophied. But he just isnā€™t improving. X-ray shows nothing broken. Any ideas? If I canā€™t get his neck back to his previous functioning level, the gland will only become impacted again

Attachments

• IMG_3170.jpeg
    IMG_3170.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi there, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your parrot. Are you still working with a vet?

I myself have never used the acrylic collars. They intimidated me as they look like they allow no movement at all. I myself have no experience with this type of collar.

I do use a soft collar on one of my parrots that did feather pluck. He did this to the extent that he was bleeding twice. I was informed by Nicoā€™s vet that collars canā€™t be left on all of the time, and they need to be removed daily for movement otherwise he would not only have weakness of the spine, but the wings too.

You could always do clicker training with your parrot. When he goes to reach for the stick, and treat it may get your parrot to stretch out the spine, and move it.

I hope something in here helps. Again, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your parrot. Heā€™s incredibly cute.

Hi there, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your parrot. Are you still working with a vet?

I myself have never used the acrylic collars. They intimidated me as they look like they allow no movement at all. I myself have no experience with this type of collar.

I do use a soft collar on one of my parrots that did feather pluck. He did this to the extent that he was bleeding twice. I was informed by Nicoā€™s vet that collars canā€™t be left on all of the time, and they need to be removed daily for movement otherwise he would not only have weakness of the spine, but the wings too.

You could always do clicker training with your parrot. When he goes to reach for the stick, and treat it may get your parrot to stretch out the spine, and move it.

I hope something in here helps. Again, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your parrot. Heā€™s incredibly cute.
Yes. Still working w a vet but has no advice. I was never told to take the collar off daily or at all. This just sickens me

Yes. Still working w a vet but has no advice. I was never told to take the collar off daily or at all. This just sickens me
I would focus on clicker training as most parrots try to reach for the target stick. All 3 of my parrots do. Maybe that can get your parrot moving his neck, and head around. For my conures I use sun flower seeds do their training. Thatā€™s a high reward treat for them. For my Ekkie he gets pine nuts.

Hereā€™s a video on clicker training

I just use chop sticks, and a dog clicker for my parrots target training.

I do not feed my parrots seed in their cages so seeds, and nuts truly are high reward treats for them when Iā€™m training.

I'm so sorry that your baby is going through this. I agree with kme, you could try clicker training or basically anything that will help him to build up his strength in his neck again. Perhaps new toys that he will need to reach toward? I would think that any small movements would start to help, just like PT helps people. I hope your beautiful boy heals quickly and I will keep him in my prayers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back