3 month old budgie died suddenly

Jan 12, 2024
Parrots
Sparky- yellow and green budgie
Niko- white bellied caique
Knox- blue and yellow budgie (RIP)
Cicero- blue and white budgie (RIP)
In September, I decided to get a budgie who I named Cicero after I lost another 3 month old budgie to a broken neck. I wanted to get a friend for Sparky, as he seemed lonely, but now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn’t because Sparky’s health isn’t the greatest recently, and I don’t want to stress him out. Cicero came from a good breeder in my area, but he unfortunately was not hand tamed. The other bad thing was that I was forced to have his wings clipper before I took him home, just like all my other birds. They were right, he was not at all tame and got scared when I opened his cage to get him clean food and water and even clean the bottom. Well about 11 days later as I was putting all the rest of my pets to bed, I found him dead on the bottom of the cage. He was showing no signs of sickness, had no visible lumps, no broken bones or injuries, I kept his dishes and liners clean, he was eating and drinking a normal amount, and there were no signs of external parasites. Unfortunately it is too late to do a necropsy, as he died in September, and we already buried him. Does anyone have any ideas how he died? Btw this cage was only to be used temporarily

Attachments

• IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 27
Sorry for your loss, but its impossible to even hazard a guess at this late date as to cause of death. A lot of folks have experienced a loved parrot just...... going. I know I have. FWIW necropsy must take place within 24 hrs and the body must have been refrigerated, not frozen.

In September, I decided to get a budgie who I named Cicero after I lost another 3 month old budgie to a broken neck. I wanted to get a friend for Sparky, as he seemed lonely, but now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn’t because Sparky’s health isn’t the greatest recently, and I don’t want to stress him out. Cicero came from a good breeder in my area, but he unfortunately was not hand tamed. The other bad thing was that I was forced to have his wings clipper before I took him home, just like all my other birds. They were right, he was not at all tame and got scared when I opened his cage to get him clean food and water and even clean the bottom. Well about 11 days later as I was putting all the rest of my pets to bed, I found him dead on the bottom of the cage. He was showing no signs of sickness, had no visible lumps, no broken bones or injuries, I kept his dishes and liners clean, he was eating and drinking a normal amount, and there were no signs of external parasites. Unfortunately it is too late to do a necropsy, as he died in September, and we already buried him. Does anyone have any ideas how he died? Btw this cage was only to be used temporarily
He is beautiful my deepest condolences on your loss. You’ve had a bit of loss :( I’m so so sorry. I understand. Many unparrot people don’t get it. The bond, the friendship, the mutual respect. They think it’s only reserved for dogs and cats. Bird people are unique and that’s what makes us great bird parents. It’s not your fault. I know this happened last year but I had to reach out to you since I’m relatively new here. It’s apparent you loved your baby and love all your babies you have. Again so so sorry for the loss of your little guy sending hugs ❤️🥺

I’m very sorry for the loss of your Budgie. I do know that parrots have a tendency to hide illnesses all the way until the very end. I’ve been told by vets to weigh my parrots on a regular basis as that’s a way to tell if something is wrong. I must admit I do get lazy about this.

Most Reactions

Back