You will not get this on me....

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
So I bought a tiny cat harness for Bean. He isn't a fan of the flight suit, so I thought this may be a little easier to get him used too. Anywho, he didn't seem bothered by it, got it on him, but then he heard the first "click" to lock it, he FLIPPED out! I am surprised I don't have battle scars from him. It was a short battle, and as soon as it was on, we went outside, and he seemed to enjoy it. I gave him lots of praise and a couple nutri-berries. So I think we need to try again, but get him used to the noise it makes.

Maybe you can snap it & unsnap it thru out the day, until its a normal sound. Wow, how many times did he bite you? Yea for you!

Aww lucky. Sam will refuse any thing strapped around him.
I hope I can get it on him one day so trips outside can happen without using a cage.

I lost count, but no blood drawn. :) I am going with the idea that if it really stressed him I wouldn't have any fingers. He battled it in a way that made me think he was more just a little annoyed, and was finally like whatever mom, but just so you know I hate you because this thing is pink! Bean likes to sit on my lap in the evening time, while I watch tv, so I think that might be a good time to click and unclick it. He doesn't seem to bothered while outside, a little unsure, but also it seemed he enjoyed it. He was talking up a storm after a couple minutes. So I hope we get it figured out. :)

lmao i think it was more a case of *you sneaky!!!! grrr grrr

so good luck an pics please :)

Hahaha. How cute. Sam watchs tv with me most of the day. Right now he's on the couch arm right next to me. Lol when I leave my bedroom and leave the door open Sam follows. Even outside once!!

I am going to try it again today, the noise doesn't bother him anymore. He usually adapts really well to new things, so maybe he really is mad that this harness is pink. :)

Merlin wants your address so he can send you a MANLY black cat harness. A pink harness is just too much to endure.

LOL! I told him just now, if he does super good today with the pink one, I'll buy him a red or blue one. He said, "What a goooood biiiiird." ;)

Well..... He is not afriad of it, but now he knows what it is for, so.... todays battle ended with me having bloody fingers. Maybe another day. :(

My bird doesn't like the tiny hole that will rest around her neck. To start to get it on, I have to hold it so she has to reach through the harness to get a piece of millet! Mine doesn't bite me when I do it, but she tries to fly away... :p Tell me if you find any ways to make this easier, because my bird HATES it. I haven't been able to completely get it on her yet.

Well..... He is not afriad of it, but now he knows what it is for, so.... todays battle ended with me having bloody fingers. Maybe another day. :(

while merlin sends the black harness i'll send some pink plasters! :p

Man your brave!! iv been bit so many times and well never be used to the nasty amazon bite. Trying to harness Sam would probably be like trying to tie down a dragon.
And for some reason he learned how to bite very hard. Makes menwonder about his previous homes. Every amazon worked with iv been bitten by a few. And all are relatively the same. Hurts like crazy still but when Sam bites it's like OWWWWWW!!!!
And lots of blood. He Completly trusts me. Just not objects. Which also makes me wonder.

I just got my girl an Aviator harness and the instructional video that came with it is really informative. The guy explains and demonstrates how to get your bird used to and comfortable with the harness, and then how to get your bird used to letting you lift its wings, put the harness over its head, etc. I think you can find the company's videos on youtube - try searching for "parrot aviator harness." I worked a bit today on getting my bird comfortable with me lifting her wings a bit. I'd left the harness sitting around her cage for a while for her to get used to it, and she's pretty good with small foreign objects so it didn't freak her out when I started messing around with it on her (petting her with it, getting her used to it being around her back, etc). She was being really docile and good so I tried slipping it on, not to take her outside but just to practice putting it on and taking it off. Well, she was fine until I tried to fasten it, the last step. Suddenly she flipped out and started grabbing at the harness, flailing about trying to get it off of her. I did my best to remove it quickly and to remain firm with her, but she was pretty freaked out for a minute after that. I guess I got a little ahead of myself and tried to put it on her too soon. Tomorrow I'll go back to just working on lifting her wings and getting her comfortable with me touching her with the harness, but I won't try to put it on her again. When I do, I think I'll work on just getting her comfortable with one step at a time - one day getting her used to having the collar part around her neck, the next day putting it around her neck and wings, and then the next day putting it on and then fastening it onto her. The guy in the video explained that what you really don't want to do is try to slip the harness on quickly to get it over with, because that will just make the bird hate putting the harness on every time.

I too have had real issues with Amazons and the harness,one thing i did learn is that when things go wrong and the bird freaks out ,make sure to try and calm the bird and end the session on a positive note,with the harness present, be careful not to remove the harness from view and let the bird know it's actions will make the harness go away,try to end on a positive note where every body is cool calm and collected.

No offence meant guys, but you can keep your amazons! :eek::eek::eek: A nip from Alex hurts enough, I couldn't imagine an amazon's bite! Ouch! :p

I'm only teasing, you guys have lovely birds. just not my cup of tea! I like my fingers! :D

Haha. I used to say the same till I had one of these guys on there back making the funniest noise ever. Sams no "lay on the back" kinda bird.
He enjoys close snuggles and under the wing scritches.
But iv worked with some funny little boogars. Once you play with one that tollarates you. You'll have one with in a week. Amazons arnt for every bird lover. But for me. Idk what I do with out My big bully :)

Bean is not a real big biter. He just got me pretty good a few times, but I kept trying, and I will keep trying. :) He knows it. My conure bit me harder then Bean did. So yes, I will keep my amazon. ;)

I have been giving merlin syringes of benedryl lately. At first I thought that he was freaking out being toweled. He managed to bite me it wasn't hard, hard enough, but definitely easier than his bad bite. He was mad, not scared. He has got me bad b4, usually when he was really afraid.

I'm keeping my amazon too, the conures are really cute, but too delicate for me. lol

My Amazon's never given me a real bite before. She's bitten other people, but only given me play-bites and warning-bites. It's her claws that really get me, when she gets scared and suddenly scrambles up my arm and onto my shoulder. They're normally not too sharp but she sure can dig them in deep! I have scratches all over my left shoulder at the moment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back