Which one???

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
Just wondering if there is a cockatoo that fits these "standards":
:Not too loud
:Not too nippy
:Not really prone to beak and feather disease (if that's possible)
Just wondering in case I can't find any hand reared Alexandrines around my area when i'm ready.
Cheers, Mike.
bd3.gif

I was wanting a galah but they are pretty loud (they live in the big gumtrees at my school).

If it makes it any easier take away the last 2 "standards"...(if that's the right word) :D

(the only reason Y i'm not getting a galah is because my dad works long hours and doesn't want to come home to a loud screeching parrot)

I'm getting confused??? I just read a thread saying galahs are pretty quiet?
Are hand reared galah's less noisy then the wild ones I see at my school?

Last edited:
Galahs, when compared to their big white cousins, they are pretty quiet!

Only birds I've heard that are the most resistant to PBFD are quakers... but they're pretty nippy and very talkative/squalkative!!!! (well, I've heard South American birds are usually the most resistant to PBFD, quakers being the #1 birds, but even these guys can get it...)

When talking about cockatoos though, the galahs and smaller toos (goffins, ducorps and bare eyeds/little corellas) are usually considered some of the quieter, more independent species... unless of course you get into the black cockatoos (palm, red tailed, yellow tailed) which tend to be quite expensive! I've heard these guys can be pretty loud as well, but they usually aren't anywhere near what their large white cousins are like!

Biggest concern I see is to make sure that no one in your family is allergic to 'too dust!

Perhaps some (big) cockatoo owners will jump in and give you some better advice in regards to personality and habits!

Mike parrots make noise...BUT...with positive reinforcement training & enrichment there is no reason why you have to have a noisy bird. I have a Sulphur Crested Too & he will sometimes screech on very low volume because he knows it's unacceptable to be loud.

IMO educate yourself on parrot behaviour that way you are more prepared to handle any negative behaviours that pop up. I also believe that humans are responsible for a lot of their parrots bad behaviours.

Start here.

http://www.naturalencounters.com/im...ng_Parrot_Behavior_Naturally-Steve_Martin.pdf

.:About Jim:.

Galahs are heaps quieter than anything else but I have found the subspecies to be important as well... the easterns are MUCH quieter. Perhaps you are within the western galahs range, being in SA?

Besides that, if your Dad works long hours and comes home late of an evening then he is unlikely to experience the loudest you parrot can be :p I am less concerned about noise with my partner because he works late shift, from 12pm til 9pm so he won't experience happy happy fun afternoon squarky McSquark time :) He will just have the goodmorning wakeup call... which the neighbours IRN happily SCREAMS out for an hour every morning anyway.

If you want a quiet bird go for a green cheeked conure... there is nothing quieter, even budgies in my opinion. However... I LOVE galahs. Even their screaming is because they are happy... you have got to appreciate that :D

It depends :) If you keep them in a dark quiet room you can determine when "happy morning" happens :D However, my boy (a galah) never made a peep until he saw me in the morning. Generally they do it in the wild a little after sun up with all the other birds (if you get up early and listen out you will notice ALL the birds are up and chirping and greeting the day :) )... but if they cant hear other birds or see that the sun is up they may be fooled into thinking its not time yet.

My conures dont do "happy morning" until I get up and give them their breaky, even if the neighbours bird and local birds are screaming up a storm. If you fullfill all your birds needs (including activity) then you will have a happy, quieter bird. If your bird is happy with its human family, it wont call out to passing birds either... well not as much as it would if it was unhappy and seeking companionship.

Galahs are heaps quieter than anything else but I have found the subspecies to be important as well... the easterns are MUCH quieter. Perhaps you are within the western galahs range, being in SA?

How would I know if I have an Eastern or Western Galah in the USA? I think Rowan is quiet compared to a Goffin's we cared for but have not heard another Galah except on video. Her rose color seems dark and her parents are dark rose and her grey is pale with lots of white on her tail and underneath. Thank you for any info. on this. :)

Last edited:
A galah is quiet compared to the sulphur crested. I would be worried if anyone in your house is allergic to dust or dander as cockatiels and cockatoos make TRUCK LOADS of dander. I agree with the other users, with training you can train a bird to LESSEN their noise. You can't train a bird not to vocalize but you can lower the volume of theyre daily screeches.

Wake up time in my house is usually early, around 6-8 depending on two factors:
1) When the sun is up
- They have covers, but if the sun is early and bright, it seeps through the
cracks and wakes up the flock
2) When we start making noise
- God only knows what time the birds actually wake up, but if we're in bed and
one of us starts rustling in the sheets, turning over or mumbling, than all bets
are off. The bird hears us and decides it's time to get up.

They should have 12 hours of sleep a night, so if you put them under at 8 and wake them at 8, their vocalizations should be through dinner when the sun sets and after 7 in the morning if they have a good cover and blinds on the windows.

What are the chances of a Galah getting beak and feather? (being housed in good conditions). Has any one on here owned a Galah that has had Beak &Feather.

I don't really think specific breeds of birds are prone to disease. It depends on the bird. So if you had a galah and you gave it proper nutrition,exercise, and it's mentally and emotionall stable he will be less likly prone to disease. But if you had a galah and it was a plucker, you gave it seeds , no veggies or fruits and no exercise ,dirty cage it will be vulnerable to disease. So it depends on the bird. Also do you plan free flight training one ? Galahs can gain some fat so you want to excessive them.

Most Reactions

Back