What do we do about a conure who refuses to come out of his cage?

kieer

Oct 21, 2023
Parrots
Baby [Green Cheek Conure]
Paco [Gold Cap Conure]
Kiwi [Green Cheek Conure]
Steven [Nanday Conure]
Jess [Green Cheek Conure]
Nancy [Green Cheek Conure]
We have a 1.5 year old nanday conure that feels uncomfortable leaving his comfort zone. He comes out once in a blue moon for pets and cuddles, but he doesn't come out as much as I'd like. I lay in bed guilty that there are times where he's refused to come out while his bird siblings have had their fill.

I've tried simply opening his cage door and walking away (as well as sitting with him and tempting him with his favorite treats), to no success. I've tried using a perch as an elevator when I thought he was afraid of my hands, but he didn't like that - too scary. I've tried all sorts of different treats to get him to step up or come out of his cage, but it's a no every time. I thought it was just me, but he says no to everyone who has tried and rejects me consistently even after being in the same room with me constantly for nearly six months. The times he does come out are inconsistent and completely random.

I'm really stuck on what could be barrier from him coming out every day as long as he'd like. Has anyone experienced this?

Last edited:
Darn birds! Either they won't come out, or they won't go back in. Me, I'd just leave the door open, let him decide. Maybe try putting a bit of his fav treat in a small cup or bottle cap on the top of his cage.

Steven is weird in that he will absolutely just forgo any treat or temptation if its outside of his comfort zone. I do think it's funny that I am having the opposite problem of some others.

I do leave his door open every day, and offer for him to step up when I'm in the room. It's gotten to the point he mimics me saying step up. He prefers to preen and play with your fingers instead of stepping up, though. I've tried leaving temptations like you said, but Steven would rather go without than challenge what he considers his comfort zone. He's weird.

I have to ask - how can I keep Steven healthy while he's being reclusive like this? He's not able to get exercise like the other birds. The last time I was able to weigh him, he was a healthy weight.

UPDATE: Something just worked. I baited his favorite treat on the top of his cage and I left his cage door open. I left the room entirely and watched them on their "bird cam" - which is a Ring camera I put up in their room. He came out after about 30 minutes and I was able to get him to hang out then.

P.S. I know his beak is a little long! I'm trying to get him to get comfortable coming out first before we make his beak trim appointment. In the meantime I've been loading him up with stuff to chew on.

Attachments

• 20241001_153713.jpg
    20241001_153713.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 2
  • 20241001_153940.jpg
    20241001_153940.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 2

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back