What do we do about a conure who refuses to come out of his cage?

kieer

Oct 21, 2023
Parrots
Baby [Green Cheek Conure]
Paco [Gold Cap Conure]
Kiwi [Green Cheek Conure]
Steven [Nanday Conure]
Jess [Green Cheek Conure]
Nancy [Green Cheek Conure]
We have a 1.5 year old nanday conure that feels uncomfortable leaving his comfort zone. He comes out once in a blue moon for pets and cuddles, but he doesn't come out as much as I'd like. I lay in bed guilty that there are times where he's refused to come out while his bird siblings have had their fill.

I've tried simply opening his cage door and walking away (as well as sitting with him and tempting him with his favorite treats), to no success. I've tried using a perch as an elevator when I thought he was afraid of my hands, but he didn't like that - too scary. I've tried all sorts of different treats to get him to step up or come out of his cage, but it's a no every time. I thought it was just me, but he says no to everyone who has tried and rejects me consistently even after being in the same room with me constantly for nearly six months. The times he does come out are inconsistent and completely random.

I'm really stuck on what could be barrier from him coming out every day as long as he'd like. Has anyone experienced this?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back