Welcoming two new show budgies to our aviary flock! Name suggestions?

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi everyone!

So since Sunshine's passing, I've been toying with the idea of bringing a new show budgie into our flock, but I wasn't really serious about it until today.

I recently made contact with Pearl and Opal's breeder to give her an update on their progress, and she mentioned that she had a few show budgies that she'd be happy to offer to me.

She sent me a bunch of photos, but one really caught my eye - and I thought BOTH birds were gorgeous. They are both 2 years old, aren't related, nor are they related to Pearl and Opal, so that's great because it extends my gene pool.

I'm going to go and fetch them this weekend, and do the quarantine/vet process. I can't wait! I think they'll really enjoy being in our aviary with the rest of the flock in the aviary.

So, now I have to give them names! Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a photo:

Last edited:
What about Sapphire and Topaz?

What about Sapphire and Topaz?

Sapphire is great! One of my first show budgies was named Topaz though, so I need to find a another good name!

What about Citrine, to fit with your theme :). They’re super cute!

I love their striking colors. Congrats!

Some names... Cobalt, Lemon, Butters, Blue/blueberry... that's all I got lol

I love their striking colors. Congrats!

Some names... Cobalt, Lemon, Butters, Blue/blueberry... that's all I got lol

I love the name Lemon, that’s so cute!!

What about Queso - Spanish for cheese? It's still yellow!

I’m thinking a floral theme... Buttercup and Bluebell? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lapis for the blue one! And Zircon or Amber for the yellow

Great ideas...

But all I want to say is...
THOSE ARE SOME LUCKY, LUCKY BUDGIES, to have you as a parront, reebsie, even if you name them Budgie1 and Budge2!!!!!!!!!!!

For the yellow one: Citrine, Topaz, Sunbeam, Sunny, Buttercup, Citrus, Beryl, Apatite, Jasper, Lemon, Banana, Apricot.
For the blue one: Seafoam, Misty, Sky, Lapis, Agate, Sapphire, Bluebell, Alex (Alexandrite), Aqua (Aquamarine), Lazuli, Turquoise, Zicron, Beryl, Blueberry.

You can tell that someone's a gemstone nerd :p

Ooooh this is such fun - flowery names - Daffodil and Periwinkle - UK suggestions!

For the yellow one: Citrine, Topaz, Sunbeam, Sunny, Buttercup, Citrus, Beryl, Apatite, Jasper, Lemon, Banana, Apricot.
For the blue one: Seafoam, Misty, Sky, Lapis, Agate, Sapphire, Bluebell, Alex (Alexandrite), Aqua (Aquamarine), Lazuli, Turquoise, Zicron, Beryl, Blueberry.

You can tell that someone's a gemstone nerd :p

Those are so great too!!!

Marigold for yellow? The only blue flower that I know (I’m not much of a flower person lol)is Forget-Me-Not. Kind of a long, silly name for a budgie. Although you won’t be forgetting him/her ;)

That male us a stunner! Love the violet colored budgies! If I had an aviary of them, I'd love to have some that looked like him!

"Blue names"... hmm.... Oxford? (as in Oxford blue) Periwinkle (aka Peri), Geranium (aka Ger), Indigo (aka Indi), Larkspur (Lark/Larky)...

I have seen a macaw called "budgie"... and there is a flower called a "grape hyacinth"... and "hyacinth" is also the name of a macaw.... so there's that option! LOL

"Purple names"... Anemone? Orchid... Aster... Cosmo/Cosmos... Heliotrope... Mystic merlin...

First "name" that comes to mind for the female is "Saffron"... but then again, I had a pail yellow female years ago that I had named Saffron. (like the yellow spice sold in stores which might not actually be saffron)

Flower names though... Marigold, Rosa, Lilium (Lily), Tulip, Daffodil (Daffy), Chrysanthemum (Chrissy?), Jessamine (Jessy), Primrose....

So I fetched them today, and I decided to name them Periwinkle (blue male) and Buttercup (yellow female)!

Most Reactions

Back