Tiels with GCCs

Jun 30, 2024
Jacksonville
Parrots
Cockatiel (Cinnamon Pearl Female Rescue, She just turned 6🥳🥳🥳 Name:Blossom)
Budgies (Rescues that died of old age😭😭😭 Names:Baby and Sweetipie Rip)
Okay so, I really love tiels and conures and I want to have them together in a small aviary situation, My tiel is 6 years old never harmed a soul, she was afraid of my late budgies but they warmed up eventually. Would that work, I would adopt the youngest conures avaliable

This depends entirely on the individual and size of the aviary in question.

I have personally kept a jenday conure and two cockatiels in one large flight cage with no issues, and when I expressed worries over whether I was doing something wrong to my vet at the time, he reassured me that there is no hard and fast rule--if an individual bird is gentle and enjoys the company of smaller birds, within a reasonable size difference, then it's probably ok. That said, a macaw and a cockatiel wouldn't be a reasonable size difference... but that's not what you're talking about. You're talking about birds roughly similar in size, and presumably an aviary large enough for them to give each other plenty of space if things get tense for whatever reason.

You just need to be fully aware that beak size is everything in a fight between birds and a conures beak is larger than a cockatiels. A conure can do major damage to a tiel before the tiel even has time to react. If there is any question at all whether your conure will get along with the tiels, don't put them together, and please be sure to have a back up plan and a way to separate them if attitudes change on a dime (hormones can do that!!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back