So many macaws on Craigslist right now..

hey doublete, i'll be driving up to Cumberland this weekend. want me to throw some dragonwood in the truck for you.i think i'll be there from the 12th thru the 23rd.

Will you be in my neck of the woods, toooooo??????? :D We have GOT to meet up already!

Instead of derailing this thread i started one in the off topic section

The "get this thing out of my house" bird?!

I took my macaw out for a walk. Ended up pushing home a second macaw cage and all... :32:
Oh gosh, that's so funny! Whenever I take my tiel (I wish I had a mac) for a walk people start offering me their birds! Could you please take my Umbrella too? Or a Hahns Macaw? Oh, my Mom has a bird that looks like yours, btw, what is this? She wants to give it away... etc, etc... I'm just dreading to talk to anybody. :D

Many people (sadly) view parrots (especially the great big ones with beautiful plumage) as flashy decorations. I mean, haven't you heard "he who has the biggest wins"? But unlike your 82" flatscreen mega-super TV and ultra iPhone luxury edition (you get the point), a large parrot is NOT something to show off to your friends and look at in awe as you admire how "awesome" of a person you are for being able to afford to own one.

Those "types" of people tend to buy very large parrots (i.e. big macs and big too's) as a luxury item and once the novelty wears off, the bird has to go. They don't care one iota about the bird, it's no different than any other "outdated" material possession to them. That's why you see so many big birds up for sale, adoption, "free to good home" ect... This time of year is a good time to offload an unwanted bird before you jet off to your favorite tropical locale for summer vacation (and you might score some extra vacation cash getting rid of that "thing). You see a lot around the holidays too, people getting rid of them for Christmas cash. It's a sad, but true reality for many of these sensitive, special creatures and (if you can't tell) it pisses me off to no end!
OMG, this is the worst! It pisses me off same way as you. Or when they buy little birds as toys for their kids, and then get rid of abused and scared to death little creatures since the kids have no idea how to care for them.

I see many macaws espescially BG are all over my CL page. I do live near the beach so the closer you get to the coast the more birds their are. On St. George Island there was a guy selling his whole flock of three BG, a Scarlet (that he refered to as the red one), and a Military Macaw (he refered to as an Amazon). He refered to the has female dogs but can become great pets. I know they can but he shoud have never bought them in the first place. I have seen budgies, tiels, lots of macs, a few zons, very few toos(I guess they arent as popular around here), a few Pionus, quakers, conures, finches, rosellas, and diffrent exotic fowl. Its really sad. I thought about rescuing a White Front Amazon but I wasnt able to. Im going to try to rescue my next bird. I have seen what I think to be scams about the great blue Hy. Its probably a scam but I didnt look into it.

Have yet to come across a legitimate Hy posting. In fact, I've contacted 40+ individuals about their Mac CL post, and have only had 1 sound reasonably legitimate. That 1 is the Mac I will hopefully be seeing this weekend. If a deal sounds too good, then it probably is. Sadly most people seem more concerned with making money than finding a good home for the fid (that has no idea it is no longer wanted in the current home).

The main reason people list their birds (and other pets) on Craigslist is because they want money (not always the case, though) -- as a sanctuary volunteer, I of course 100% advocate adopting. I would gladly adopt one of the macaws -- or other bigger birds -- from the sanctuary, but I don't have the space at the moment. I've really bonded with our blue-throated macaw and one of our scarlets, but that doesn't mean I should take them home.

Have yet to come across a legitimate Hy posting. In fact, I've contacted 40+ individuals about their Mac CL post, and have only had 1 sound reasonably legitimate. That 1 is the Mac I will hopefully be seeing this weekend. If a deal sounds too good, then it probably is. Sadly most people seem more concerned with making money than finding a good home for the fid (that has no idea it is no longer wanted in the current home).

Most people that have Hys (1) won't rehome them for all the tea in China, or (2) if they did, know someone who is experienced enough to provide a good life for the bird...

These birds do not end up in shelters or at rescues, or on Craig's List, unless their person dies, and someone completely ignorant inherits them.

It just doesn't happen!

The main reason people list their birds (and other pets) on Craigslist is because they want money (not always the case, though) -- as a sanctuary volunteer, I of course 100% advocate adopting. I would gladly adopt one of the macaws -- or other bigger birds -- from the sanctuary, but I don't have the space at the moment. I've really bonded with our blue-throated macaw and one of our scarlets, but that doesn't mean I should take them home.

Pretty hard NOT to play with a Blue Throat isn't it?!

All my FIDS were adopted from CL. They were reasonably priced and came with their cages and other assessories. The former owners truly wanted good homes for them, and were not trying to recover the cost of the parrot or what they had put into them. The Military, was actually given to me, once they saw how we interacted, she's the best gift ever and came from a stranger. I do believe my birds were loved by their former owners, I'm their second home, and if God wills it's forever. I've had my CAG 12 years, the Military for 9, and will be getting the Eclectus this August when I visit my daughter in MI.
Now I see ads where they're asking what I consider ridiculous re-homing fees for the parrots and have separated the cost of the cages. It really saddens me, how could you send a bird away with out its protective home, what are you going to do with a empty cage?
My two older birds do not fly, because of wings being clipped most of their life, but the newest member of the flock does, my daughter has begun harness traning her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back