should i get a blue & gold macaw or an african grey?

Oct 22, 2024
Parrots
none at the moment.
hello everyone,
after the death of my last birds two years ago now i feel in the next year i will be ready for another (also depending on lifestyle factors.) and was wondering if an african grey or a BG macaw would suit me better so i will say a bit about what im looking for. I would love a silly and playful bird that i can train free flight and tricks/commands that just wants to be in my company and is very affectionate, for me the bigger the better. I know individuals vary but would also like a cuddly bird (i am willing to spend a lot)
let me know what you think!

Species type does indeed determine a lot, but, oh, birds can have such different personalities within the same species/class, etc. I have seen the best results when prospective owners can interact with individual birds in adance of purchase... see what chemistry emerges.
Good for you, for reaching out and researching.
Stick with us!

As mentioned the best way is to let the bird pick you.
When I got my Sun Conure Phoenix, he was one of 20 hatchling. Parakeets, Cockatiel, Quaker, Conures. I went there three days in a row and he was the only one to climb out to be with me all three days. He was not weaned yet so for another 7 weeks I went in daily to visit and build our bond. By time he came home we were already bonded and made the transition all that much easier.

20190727_184521.jpg

Species type does indeed determine a lot, but, oh, birds can have such different personalities within the same species/class, etc. I have seen the best results when prospective owners can interact with individual birds in adance of purchase... see what chemistry emerges.
Good for you, for reaching out and researching.
Stick with us!
thank you for the advice i really appreciate it! at the moment the struggle for me is i cannot find a breeder other than big chain compaines who i know to aviod.

As mentioned the best way is to let the bird pick you.
When I got my Sun Conure Phoenix, he was one of 20 hatchling. Parakeets, Cockatiel, Quaker, Conures. I went there three days in a row and he was the only one to climb out to be with me all three days. He was not weaned yet so for another 7 weeks I went in daily to visit and build our bond. By time he came home we were already bonded and made the transition all that much easier.

View attachment 61744
pheonix is gorgeous!

From my point of view.
I would love to have a macaw but for 2 main points.

1 I donā€™t think I could become easy with that size of a beak.
You got to be able to ā€œshow no fear ā€œ and I couldnā€™t do that.

2 space. My house is not big enough for a Mac to fly around in.

I love, love, love ā¤ļø our African Grey Bella even though I am not her favorite person.

From my point of view.

You got to be able to ā€œshow no fear ā€œ and I couldnā€™t do that..
You arenā€™t kidding! Parker, for the first time ever in a decade, just bit my face/cheek this morning pretty bad, as in grab big beak full, let go of my hand with his feet, and dangle for 6-7 seconds. Def leaving a scar but itā€™s not ripped, just bad indentations. Iā€™ve been thinking all morning and even said to my partner ā€œthank GOD I donā€™t have a cockatoo, Amazon, or macawā€¦this could have been much worseā€.

From my point of view.

You got to be able to ā€œshow no fear ā€œ and I couldnā€™t do that.

2 space. My house is not big enough for a Mac to fly around in.

I love, love, love ā¤ļø our African Grey Bella even though I am not her favorite person.
The reality is very different than your fears. I have owned my macaw for nearly 50 years and I can assure you that he is not flying around inside my very large house with double height ceilings. He didnā€™t get to his age by taking unnecessary chances! He does flight simulation on the side of his cage, but the only time he flies inside the house is when he accidentally loses his footing on an upstairs banister. Having to bank and turn and navigate a safe landing without hitting furniture, walls, or 2 story windows is a stressful situation for both of us! My macaw is a free-ranging waddler. He runs around the house and climbs and descends stairs, but he does not fly indoors by choice. You would need to live in an airplane hangar for that to take place!

The cage requires a significant amount of space in most homes. Every time I shopped for a home I had to consider where the massive macaw cage would go. *That* is the issue for most people.

As for the beak issue, I have never been bittenā€”and I do mean neverā€” in almost 50 years. I was once seriously bitten by a Moluccan cockatoo owned by my brotherā€™s girlfriend. Ouch! Glad it was not my bird!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back