should i get a blue & gold macaw or an african grey?

Oct 22, 2024
Parrots
none at the moment.
hello everyone,
after the death of my last birds two years ago now i feel in the next year i will be ready for another (also depending on lifestyle factors.) and was wondering if an african grey or a BG macaw would suit me better so i will say a bit about what im looking for. I would love a silly and playful bird that i can train free flight and tricks/commands that just wants to be in my company and is very affectionate, for me the bigger the better. I know individuals vary but would also like a cuddly bird (i am willing to spend a lot)
let me know what you think!

Species type does indeed determine a lot, but, oh, birds can have such different personalities within the same species/class, etc. I have seen the best results when prospective owners can interact with individual birds in adance of purchase... see what chemistry emerges.
Good for you, for reaching out and researching.
Stick with us!

As mentioned the best way is to let the bird pick you.
When I got my Sun Conure Phoenix, he was one of 20 hatchling. Parakeets, Cockatiel, Quaker, Conures. I went there three days in a row and he was the only one to climb out to be with me all three days. He was not weaned yet so for another 7 weeks I went in daily to visit and build our bond. By time he came home we were already bonded and made the transition all that much easier.

20190727_184521.jpg

Species type does indeed determine a lot, but, oh, birds can have such different personalities within the same species/class, etc. I have seen the best results when prospective owners can interact with individual birds in adance of purchase... see what chemistry emerges.
Good for you, for reaching out and researching.
Stick with us!
thank you for the advice i really appreciate it! at the moment the struggle for me is i cannot find a breeder other than big chain compaines who i know to aviod.

As mentioned the best way is to let the bird pick you.
When I got my Sun Conure Phoenix, he was one of 20 hatchling. Parakeets, Cockatiel, Quaker, Conures. I went there three days in a row and he was the only one to climb out to be with me all three days. He was not weaned yet so for another 7 weeks I went in daily to visit and build our bond. By time he came home we were already bonded and made the transition all that much easier.

View attachment 61744
pheonix is gorgeous!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back