possibly rescuing another B&G, advice needed

I am soo enjoying all your videos. Mark, when he is playing towel with Chico, is it OK that Chico bites out at him or should that be corrected? Im only wondering because when I get mine, I want to be able to tell the difference in actions that require corrections and which actions do not...
Dena

I am soo enjoying all your videos. Mark, when he is playing towel with Chico, is it OK that Chico bites out at him or should that be corrected? Im only wondering because when I get mine, I want to be able to tell the difference in actions that require corrections and which actions do not...
Dena

Honestly I shouldn't be encouraging it. It's easy for me to play tag with the birds and know fairly well if they are trying to tap my finger with their beak or if they are trying to really bite me but that's just because it came with the cost of my hands having been shredded while working with both of my Macaws. They were both wild and aggressive thanks to previous owners, so I picked up the indications on when they are mad or not (I'm still wrong sometimes).

I dont know if it is the correct way to show the birds I dont want to be bit... but when they nip I lightly get ahold of their beak with my fingers, look them in the eye and say "no". They seem to get the idea pretty quick but there is a lot of risk to your fingers if they decide they dont want to be told no. I'm nowhere near an expert in this, I just go with what feels right and hope the experts here give me guidance. :)

I dont know if it is the correct way to show the birds I dont want to be bit... but when they nip I lightly get ahold of their beak with my fingers, look them in the eye and say "no". They seem to get the idea pretty quick but there is a lot of risk to your fingers if they decide they dont want to be told no. I'm nowhere near an expert in this, I just go with what feels right and hope the experts here give me guidance. :)

That's pretty much what I do... "Knock it off." is the phrase I use for pretty much all bad behaviors. They all know that one in context...

And if we're playing, and they start getting carried away and apply too much bite pressure, then I do the same thing. Stop the game for a second and tell them "That's too hard."

Old thread but at just past a year since adoption I figured an update would be nice.

Chico is one goofy boy and has become a big part of the family. In the last year his attired has gone from bossy, mean and guarded to being a very silly and loving boy. He likes to play on the ground with paper, tennis balls and some plastic toys. After a while he will nibble at my ankle to get me to play. When we play he likes to rough house with me by playing tag. He will have his wings out and try to grab my finger, while I try to touch his feet or tail. He coos, laughs and says OW! When he gets me.
Tess is still afraid of being to close to him.

Chico cuddles, hugs, and kisses us, he will let my wife man handle him without protest.
I'm glad we got him.
6A78568B-D447-47E0-A4F8-FC789EA48124_zpsqqrzwpfp.jpg

Well done on offering Chico a chance at a great home ...looks like you were rewarded for your efforts and got a wonderful addition to your family. Chico and Tess are both Gorgeous...I enjoyed reading about your experience s wit Chico very much. What a terrible life he had before you got him...Im so glad you rescued him

This update is great to see! Sounds like Chico has made wonderful progress. I'm so glad it worked out.

Beautiful photo of Chico and Tess.

Thanks everyone.

I've actually been contacted to see if I would be willing to take in a GW that was just surrendered to a local rescue that is completely swamped.
The GW went to the house just fine but is now plucked, aggressive and needs serious work.

I hate people sometimes. :mad:

Blessing on you man, which ever way you decide. Chico looks happy ( nekid, but happy.

Who gets the very first strawberries of the season?
Our babies of course!
2B149263-DFDA-4AF3-B121-4ACEB2CC6178_zpszvilpdvd.jpg

I figured you'd like this: Chico playing with his ball and towel. I could watch him do,this for hours.
[ame="https://youtu.be/iMJqu1PP6Uk"]Chico - Blue and Gold Macaw playing - YouTube[/ame]

I just went through this entire post for the first time. It's sad to see a story where somebody discards a bird is being bad and aggressive. But it's so beautiful and encouraging to see the outcome of what just a little bit of love can do. Chico seems like a good loving bird and he appears to be very happy thanks to you and your family's big hearts. Beautiful story and I'm really happy for you and him.

Most Reactions

Back