possibly rescuing another B&G, advice needed

Very sweet photo of Chico, he must be enjoying every second of his newfound freedom. Look at that intelligent face. What kind of monster could put that sweetheart in a closet?

Chico is going to be so happy now that he's a member of a loving family!

And now he very quietly whispering "I love you".

If I didn't know he says that and he did it at night I would think my house is haunted! LOL

And now he very quietly whispering "I love you".

If I didn't know he says that and he did it at night I would think my house is haunted! LOL

ROFLMAO!

What a nice picture of Chico!! Thanks so much for sharing him with us! I love hearing that you're not taking any 'nonsense' from him. I truly believe you will have a wonderful relationship in no time flat. :)

I gave Tess a shower (which is a pain, she runs and climbs and does all she can to not get wet!) when I brought her out to her perch Chico saw she was wet and went nuts, then immediately stepped up and wanted his shower!

Seeing as he's bare of feathers on his chest do I need to worry about really toweling him of well afterwards? I keep water temps warm but not hot or too cold. Am I thinking to much?

Lukewarm should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

He should be just fine after a bath, as long as there's no active draft, and the temp in the house is comfortable for you. :)

Okay.
I shot video of him playing with a fleece you we made him. He's already become a bit less guarded with me. He's going to bea good addition to the family. I love rescues.
[ame="http://youtu.be/vrQCso0Mknc"]http://youtu.be/vrQCso0Mknc[/ame]

Took hi. To the vet today. We clipped his wings, took a blood sample for tests and a culture for tests from her throat.
What we thought was wheezing or chest issues turned out to be basically boogers. The vet cleaned the debris out of his nose and noted that it was dry, so that was a good sign. He already breathes better.

She did note that he bruised quite easily, the blood work will tell us if there is an issue with his liver.

Oh, and he is a DNA sexed and tattooed male.

She did note that he bruised quite easily, the blood work will tell us if there is an issue with his liver.

I hate to say it, but that is a strong indication that there will be...

AND GIVEN THE HISTORY, CAN I SAY THAT I AM... "JUST SHOCKED!"

I hate to say it, but that is a strong indication that there will be...

AND GIVEN THE HISTORY, CAN I SAY THAT I AM... "JUST SHOCKED!"

Generally what does hat mean for us and Chico? Medicines? Shorter life span? Or just developing a special diet?

Last edited:
Well, again, I'd do the aloe detox thing for about three months, and see if her liver values recover...

I know I harp on the stuff, but everyone I know that has used it has had great results with it. And he's probably not so far gone that it's life threatening... There would be other indicators, mainly weakness and lethargy... which this bird is most definitely NOT!

When I got Pecker, she was so weak she could barely hold her head upright. SHE WAS THAT FAR GONE... ALOE DETOX!!!

Well, again, I'd do the aloe detox thing for about three months, and see if her liver values recover...

I know I harp on the stuff, but everyone I know that has used it has had great results with it. And he's probably not so far gone that it's life threatening... There would be other indicators, mainly weakness and lethargy... which this bird is most definitely NOT!

When I got Pecker, she was so weak she could barely hold her head upright. SHE WAS THAT FAR GONE... ALOE DETOX!!!

I'm serious, you need to be sponsored by that company!!

And good luck to OP, and congrats! You have a beautiful sweetheart on your hands. I'm sure he'll come around, and not get too frisky with your female anytime soon. :p

any particular Aloe Detox company or plan you recommend or just google?

He's a goofy boy! After yesterday's checkup and nose cleaning his attitude has been noticeably better all day today.
What's funny is he will play with a towel on the ground for hours on end, only pausing to chase feet. Is this any particular behavior or is my boy just very happy?
[ame="https://youtu.be/EablmC9Atx8"]https://youtu.be/EablmC9Atx8[/ame]

Me and Chico playing.
[ame="https://youtu.be/2nzj9vfzejg"]https://youtu.be/2nzj9vfzejg[/ame]

any particular Aloe Detox company or plan you recommend or just google?

I used the Lilly of the Desert stuff.

Sounds like the feet chasing thing is just a game, and is not aggression...

Maggie chases Sarah around the house, but she also curls up on her lap when they're done chasing...

If he's doing that, then it isn't a problem.

It's when they are chasing with intent to maim that you need to do something about it.

he definitely bites when aggravated, he got two of my toes this morning, then my thumb. He's in time-out now with periodic attitude checks. If he tries to bite me from the cage he gets a "No, dont bite" and a second chance. If he tries to bite again from the cage the cover goes back on.

I need to stop the foot chasing.

Do the pillow routine. That works every time. Get a couch coushon or a big pillow, put it on the floor so that it looks like a huge object, and then back his butt up when he charges...

He will get the message on this one in short order. And it will quickly become a game he has no desire to play.

I've done it multiple times with aggressive birds, so I know for a fact this one works!

Most Reactions

Back