Petco / Petsmarts vs local pet shop

LaurieLJT

Aug 13, 2023
I just had conversations with someone saying that if u bought the parakeet from big box store ( petco or petsmart) , they don’t last long like 3 yrs verse to local pet store , they lived much longer like at least 7 yrs Is that true ? All of my birds came from petco store. I’m little concerned. I love my birdies.

I just had conversations with someone saying that if u bought the parakeet from big box store ( petco or petsmart) , they don’t last long like 3 yrs verse to local pet store , they lived much longer like at least 7 yrs Is that true ? All of my birds came from petco store. I’m little concerned. I love my birdies.
In my experience that is false, you could experience that with a breeder and a local pet store if you don't do your due diligence before/ after purchase. I always recommend taking a new pet to the vet within 24hr of purchase. Make the appointment ahead of time so you don't have to wait. If you spend time watching them and checking their condition before purchasing ( chirping / dancing/ playing etc. I watch the birds for 30 minutes- hour before choosing one- I look for activity, clean eyes, nose, vent, feathers bright and in good condition, if they're interacting with their surroundings etc) and take it to a vet right after purchase you could have a pet for 7-10+ years ( with great care from you) .... My first parakeet came from Petco and he lived 15 years. My current parakeet is from Petco and will be 4 years old next March. His vet says he's perfectly healthy. We don't have. private/ non big pet stores here anymore.

Last edited:
In my experience that is false, you could experience that with a breeder and a local pet store if you don't do your due diligence before/ after purchase. I always recommend taking a new petto the vet within 24hr of purchase. Make the appointment ahead of time so you don't have to wait. If you spend time watching them and checking their condition before purchasing ( chirping / dancing/ playing etc. I watch the birds for 30 minutes- hour before choosing one- I look for activity, clean eyes, nose, vent, feathers bright and in good condition, if they're interacting with their surroundings etc) and take it to a vet right after purchase you could have a pet for 7-10+ years ( with great care from you) .... My first parakeet came from Petco and he lived 15 years. My current parakeet is from Petco and will be 4 years old next March. His vet says he's perfectly healthy. We don't have. private/ non big pet stores here anymore.
Thank you so much ! I’m curious what kind seed brand u using to feed the parakeet ?

I know many people who bought good birds from reputable breeders and had them last four months. I've had birds from big box pet stores who lived well into their late teens (cockatiels, mainly). I believe it depends on how healthy the bird Is overall and how much care you put into them. Even then it doesn't guarantee a bird will live a long time. Sometimes it depends on the luck of the draw :D !

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back