new rehome

RCUB

Sep 24, 2024
I just purchased a macaw .(the owner was passing away with cancer) I have a few questions. He 21 yo and has had same owner all his life.
I owned a macaw for many years till I lost him to cancer.
This bird is a very good bird she brought him in my house I took him from her and stared walking him around and she was amazed, he took to me instantly. The thing that puzzles me is I try to take him to sit with me and he rocks back and forth until I take him back to his cage. Is that normal?
He talks almost constantly not sure why. will that slow down?
Ok so it's only been 4 days but I was just wondering what someone with more experience thought?

Welcome and be welcomed. Congrats on the new pal.
I have found that nothing a parrot does in the first few weeks should be considered permanent. Especially with a bird of 21 yrs with the same owner. Patience is the word of the day and for many days to come.

Welcome and be welcomed. Congrats on the new pal.
I have found that nothing a parrot does in the first few weeks should be considered permanent. Especially with a bird of 21 yrs with the same owner. Patience is the word of the day and for many days to come.
Thx 4 reply. I raised the other b&g from a baby.
I think the fact that this bird will step and talks means he feels comfortable???

"I think the fact that this bird will step and talks means he feels comfortable???"
Yes I think this says a lot too. Keep working at his pace.

"I think the fact that this bird will step and talks means he feels comfortable???"
Yes I think this says a lot too. Keep working at his pace.
thx for your reply.
Ok he has been with us a week. when we got him, he was very loud talking. now he still talks (a lot) but is already starting to tone it down. he would just stay with me but now he will go from me to my wife which I think is amazing.

The thing that still puzzles me is when he sits with me, he is very good but rocks back and forth from one foot to the other. any ideas why?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back