My bird tries to fly out whenever anybody leaves the house.

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My green cheek conure wonā€™t let anybody go out of the house. He flies onto nearby doorframes ready to fly out as soon as the door opens. I am desperate for solutions because I donā€™t want him to escape and I donā€™t want to clip his wings either. He also flies to people to attack them. He specifically targets my mom, dad, and brother. Heā€™s fine with me snd my sister.

My green cheek conure wonā€™t let anybody go out of the house. He flies onto nearby doorframes ready to fly out as soon as the door opens. I am desperate for solutions because I donā€™t want him to escape and I donā€™t want to clip his wings either. He also flies to people to attack them. He specifically targets my mom, dad, and brother. Heā€™s fine with me snd my sister.
Can you put a curtain of some sort up against the doorway? I have Japanese style noren curtains up against my internal doorways, and one of them definitely saved my lorikeet's life when I had a meltdown in the kitchen caused by a stray bit of aluminium foil in the microwave. I ran into the kitchen to stop it and my lorikeet would DEFINITELY have flown straight in there after me if it hadn't been for the curtain - she landed on it and it gave me time to shut the door and keep her from flying straight into the fumes in the kitchen! They look like this, with the split down the middle that you walk through ...

s-l960.webp

For a door that leads outside, maybe you could try something like these magnetic curtains? I actually have some, I just haven't put them up yet, but they have a magnetic closure that closes them behind you....

s-l1600.webp

Nothing can be said to be completely failsafe so you still need to be mindful, but maybe these are worth a try?

Most Reactions

Back