Moving out with birds - Studio apartment safety?

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Hello, this is not urgent or anything, but I was considering moving out soon and the most viable option for me would be a studio apartment.

As I said, this is not urgent. There is no apartment currently set up for me and there probably won't be for over a year or maybe two.

Is there anything I should be wary about or take into consideration when looking? Would a studio apartment be a bad Idea for a birdkeeper in general? Even if I take into account and make sure all of my cookware is bird safe, made extra sure there weren't any fumes to harm my birds, would it still be a better idea to pick up an extra job to be able to afford a 1 bedroom to be able to keep the birds in another room? Or would a studio apartment be okay? Has anyone had experience with having birds in a studio apartment?

My current living situation with my flock of 3 is my bedroom (With enough space for them to fly) with 3 cages. There is no kitchen or bathroom directly in or attatched to the bedroom. Which is why I haven't worried about this until now.

I'd rather not have to clarify my need to move out, but I will say that it is for my peace of mind and to make sure I keep custody of my birds. They were gifts, and I don't think anyone else would take as good as care of them as I do if I were to move out without them.

Basically, what im asking is; moving into a studio apartment with birds, what should I consider? What should I prepare for? Should I consider just trying to get a one bedroom instead or will a studio apartment be fine? A studio apartment is really all I would be able to afford.

Thanks,
-Kingaroo

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Hello, this is not urgent or anything, but I was considering moving out soon and the most viable option for me would be a studio apartment.

As I said, this is not urgent. There is no apartment currently set up for me and there probably won't be for over a year or maybe two.

Is there anything I should be wary about or take into consideration when looking? Would a studio apartment be a bad Idea for a birdkeeper in general? Even if I take into account and make sure all of my cookware is bird safe, made extra sure there weren't any fumes to harm my birds, would it still be a better idea to pick up an extra job to be able to afford a 1 bedroom to be able to keep the birds in another room? Or would a studio apartment be okay? Has anyone had experience with having birds in a studio apartment?

My current living situation with my flock of 3 is my bedroom (With enough space for them to fly) with 3 cages. There is no kitchen or bathroom directly in or attatched to the bedroom. Which is why I haven't worried about this until now.

I'd rather not have to clarify my need to move out, but I will say that it is for my peace of mind and to make sure I keep custody of my birds. They were gifts, and I don't think anyone else would take as good as care of them as I do if I were to move out without them.

Basically, what im asking is; moving into a studio apartment with birds, what should I consider? What should I prepare for? Should I consider just trying to get a one bedroom instead or will a studio apartment be fine? A studio apartment is really all I would be able to afford.

Thanks,
-Kingaroo
Ok, well it sounds like your situation is not ideal, but hopefully you are safe. Are you in an apartment now? What kinds of birds do you have as this is definitely a factor.

My concerns with birds in an apartment (of any size) is noise (for neighbors AND night time for birds) and destruction.

My conceen with a studio is are you willing to turn off all the lights, computer, television, music, YouTube videos, etc at 6-8 pm for your parrots to be able to sleep 12 hours (since you work, you likely get up early).

At the end of the day you must do what is best for you. The birds will adapt. Maybe it won't be ideal for them, but they will be safe with you.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
Ok, well it sounds like your situation is not ideal, but hopefully you are safe. Are you in an apartment now? What kinds of birds do you have as this is definitely a factor.

My concerns with birds in an apartment (of any size) is noise (for neighbors AND night time for birds) and destruction.

My conceen with a studio is are you willing to turn off all the lights, computer, television, music, YouTube videos, etc at 6-8 pm for your parrots to be able to sleep 12 hours (since you work, you likely get up early).

At the end of the day you must do what is best for you. The birds will adapt. Maybe it won't be ideal for them, but they will be safe with you.
I currently live with my parents, in a house. The birds cannot leave the bedroom, as my family has dogs. They aren't bird aggressive, but I refuse to risk anything.

I have a Pineapple green cheeked conure, Red crowned kakriki and a budgie.

"My conceen with a studio is are you willing to turn off all the lights, computer, television, music, YouTube videos, etc at 6-8 pm for your parrots to be able to sleep 12 hours (since you work, you likely get up early)."

I already do most of this, just not at 6-8pm. (Currently I Put them to bed at 10 and then get them up at 9-10am) But I am more than willing to do the time switch when work starts up and I start needing to get up earlier. I've had birds for over a year now and I will do anything for these guys. If I need to watch something with audio I almost always will be wearing headphones. And I cover up their cages at night.

Thank you for your reply, concerns and heads ups. You're really helping me out. : )

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
I currently live with my parents, in a house. The birds cannot leave the bedroom, as my family has dogs. They aren't bird aggressive, but I refuse to risk anything.

I have a Pineapple green cheeked conure, Red crowned kakriki and a budgie.

"My conceen with a studio is are you willing to turn off all the lights, computer, television, music, YouTube videos, etc at 6-8 pm for your parrots to be able to sleep 12 hours (since you work, you likely get up early)."

I already do most of this, just not at 6-8pm. (Currently I Put them to bed at 10 and then get them up at 9-10am) But I am more than willing to do the time switch when work starts up and I start needing to get up earlier. I've had birds for over a year now and I will do anything for these guys. If I need to watch something with audio I almost always will be wearing headphones. And I cover up their cages at night.

Thank you for your reply, concerns and heads ups. You're really helping me out. : )
Good luck to you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In a studio apartment situation, I would be mostly concerned about their sleep time and the noise level both they can produce and yours at night. In our house, its lights out, TV off and everyone retreats to their bedrooms to do whatever at 10 PM. But, family members get up to use the bathroom, or to get a snack at nite, etcetc making a little bit of noise. Salty always wakes up (i can hear him shuffling around in his covered cage), but he goes back to sleep after a bit. Once you cover their cage and its reasonably quiet I think you will be OK after they settle in. Getting a apt wth an extra room for your birds is not a prerequisite, and the extra time you would need to work to afford it would be better spent with them! The rule with parrots - adapt!

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Parrots
In a studio apartment situation, I would be mostly concerned about their sleep time and the noise level both they can produce and yours at night. In our house, its lights out, TV off and everyone retreats to their bedrooms to do whatever at 10 PM. But, family members get up to use the bathroom, or to get a snack at nite, etcetc making a little bit of noise. Salty always wakes up (i can hear him shuffling around in his covered cage), but he goes back to sleep after a bit. Once you cover their cage and its reasonably quiet I think you will be OK after they settle in. Getting a apt wth an extra room for your birds is not a prerequisite, and the extra time you would need to work to afford it would be better spent with them! The rule with parrots - adapt!
Hi, thank you for your response. My birds aren't normally particularily loud, and I use a sound machine that they like(That I like too) to drown out any extra noise(During night time). It's been helping them settle into bed quicker.

I do have some other questions, about cooking. If you or anyone else would be able to answer these it would really give me peace of mind.

Is cooking in a kitchenette safe? (Since its a studio, it will be in the same room. Most of the stovetops I found are electric.) Are there any precautions I should take? Is there anything I just shouldnt cook in a studio apartment with birds? Even if I take into account making sure my pots and pans are safe?

Thank you for your response. You guys are really helping me out here : )

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
My concern is the conure. I was in a studio with a Sunny. Lasted about six months before the neighbors turned in noise complaints. Management said remove the bird or move out. Sadly I.had to give up my Sunny to my daughter as I couldn't afford to move. The flock call.is what did us in. I stayed home all.day as I am disabled, but anytime I left the apartment, the flock calls started.
Maybe look at renting a bedroom from someone with birds already if you can.

20220512_101155.jpg

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Parrots
My concern is the conure. I was in a studio with a Sunny. Lasted about six months before the neighbors turned in noise complaints. Management said remove the bird or move out. Sadly I.had to give up my Sunny to my daughter as I couldn't afford to move. The flock call.is what did us in. I stayed home all.day as I am disabled, but anytime I left the apartment, the flock calls started.
Maybe look at renting a bedroom from someone with birds already if you can.

View attachment 59237
Your little sunny is very cute! However, there is a behavioral and slight loudness difference between a green cheek and a sun conure. My birds are really only loud right when I leave. They calm down quickly because (In my experience) the presence of the other birds calms them down.

As I'm sure you already know, Sun conures and Green cheeks are not the same kind of bird despite what the name "conure" would lead you to believe. They do not make the same amount of noise.

While, It still really does depend on the bird. I know my birds and if anything; my budgie is my biggest concern for noise. As he tends to be noisier than my GCC!
1715119117153.png

Likely, they'll only be loud right when I'm leaving, when they hear my key's jingle as I come home. And if something spooks them. I know them well, and there likely wouldn't be problems with them screaming in the middle of the night for no reason.

Thank you for raising your concerns, and for your reply! I hope one day you and Sunny will be able to live together again. Thank you for the perspective!

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Your little sunny is very cute! However, there is a behavioral and slight loudness difference between a green cheek and a sun conure. My birds are really only loud right when I leave. They calm down quickly because (In my experience) the presence of the other birds calms them down.

As I'm sure you already know, Sun conures and Green cheeks are not the same kind of bird despite what the name "conure" would lead you to believe. They do not make the same amount of noise.

While, It still really does depend on the bird. I know my birds and if anything; my budgie is my biggest concern for noise. As he tends to be noisier than my GCC!
View attachment 59239

Likely, they'll only be loud right when I'm leaving, when they hear my key's jingle as I come home. And if something spooks them. I know them well, and there likely wouldn't be problems with them screaming in the middle of the night for no reason.

Thank you for raising your concerns, and for your reply! I hope one day you and Sunny will be able to live together again. Thank you for the perspective!
Do you cover your birds at night?

Regarding cooking... don't burn anything 😁. Make sure the kitchen has a window to outside if at all possible.

Just be cautious.

Most Reactions

Latest posts