Votes: 8 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Hello Everyone!!

Getting ready for our baby GW to come home in 4-6 weeks, his cage is not the one we wanted for him but there is a space constraint
(he will be out of the cage from the time I wake up till bed)

So its only an A&E 40 X 30, I want to make it fun, But keep it open enough for him to flap and stretch

The point is every square inch has to be used to the best of my ability

Big Question: Do Your large Macs like Rope Perches ?

THANKS!!

Joe

I've seen macaws use them. There is a rehome at the local shop I visit that loves the long spiral rope perches. The shop also started selling the huge home made perches that look great. I've been thinking about getting one, but I'm a little worried about cleaning it. Can't wipe down the rope perches as easily as you can branches.

Joe, I personally wouldn't put a rope perch across that cage. I'd go with dragonwood - but that's just me.

Niko has a rope perch twisted into a "U", which he uses, and he also has a rope boing. But he's in a 4' X 3' cage, and I have tons of room for various perches and things without cluttering it up. :)

Ripley DESTROYS rope perches in no time flat. :54:

If most of his time is going to be out of the cage anyway and from the sounds of it, the majority of the time he will be in it to sleep, I would not be as concerned about filling it up the most you can.

Most birds seem to love the rope Boings

Maggie's third favorite perch is her boing... (Her second favorite being the top of her cage.) Her favorite perch, of course, is the human one... She's a total lap bird.

Thanks Everyone!

I read about Macs loving their Boings, so that is on my list for today
Hopefully I can hang it in the corner enough so the bird can still flap and stretch

What about this one? (can anyone PM me to recommend one if not)
This one has the metal wire inside so you can re shape it
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Super-Creations-4-Inch-97-Inch-X-Large/dp/B00061UX3C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com : Super Bird Creations 1-1/4-Inch by 97-Inch Rope Bungee Bird Toy, X-Large : Pet Toy Ropes : Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thanks!

Joe

EDIT: I would take the bell off and get a stainless steel bell

Actually, another hot ticket for rope perches, if you only want to pay $7.00 each for them, are cotton rope horse leads, and those are about the right diameter for a macaw. Use the baby links, and you can make cotton rope swings/vines all the the way around the top of the cage...

$7.00 vs. $30.00 - and they come in all sorts of different colors. And if the bird destroys it in seconds... so what? it's not $30. a pop.

My Redfront has that boing in her cage. My GW's boing is much, much bigger than that one.

We have the Atom, which to me is another must have as they love it so much.

Kalea has one of the loop things hanging from the ceiling above her perch stand and has a great time on that also.

See, I had one, and none of my five would go anywhere near that thing! They all acted like it was trying to kill them...

MOST BIRDS LOVE THOSE THINGS! Mine?! Get that thing away from me! But those and boings make great portable playstands that you can move from room to room, or take with you and hang just about anywhere you go. And they have a familiar object even in an unfamiliar place. (So they tend to stay put on it!)

Maggie's got one of those loop things, too. She practically lived on it at her former owner's residence from what I was told. Now it's more of an occasional thing.

I made my own Atom. :)

I made a spherical swing today for my Amazons (or Macaw). THE easiest thing in the world, seriously, and it cost me just under $20.00 in materials. I found instructions on this online, and thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm really pleased with the results. :)

Prepping
IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

Hunter & Sam approved
IMG_6086.jpg

Attached to Java Tree
IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

I made a spherical swing today for my Amazons (or Macaw). THE easiest thing in the world, seriously, and it cost me just under $20.00 in materials. I found instructions on this online, and thought I'd give it a shot.

Prepping
IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

Hunter & Sam approved
IMG_6086.jpg

Attached to Java Tree
IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

WOW Wendy! That's awesome! I am totally making Kiwi one of those. Thanks for the idea/pics.

I know he's not a macaw, but Kiwi loves his rope boing. It wasn't cheap, but worth the investment because he goes nuts on it. I hung a little plastic cup on it and put treats in it, so he'll get on there as a foraging thing too:) I'm so looking forward to seeing your new macaws setup. I bet it will be awesome!

DSC_4646_zps1e3eff82.jpg

DSC_4647_zps14d31559.jpg

Yep! Same thing I did.

The only really time consuming part is putting the rope over the tubing. Everything else can be done in less than half an hour. Putting the rope around it seemed like it took forever.

I made two of them. The first one I covered in sissal rope. The second one I got lazy on and covered in vet wrap. WAY EASIER!!!

Of course, then my fids recoiled in horror at the sight of the things... :52:

I made them after they actually played on the ones down at the rescue, and I didn't feel like paying retail for something that looked easy to make... :20:

Actually, I found Maggie the ULTIMATE macaw perch swing at a bird show about a year ago... I'll snap a picture of it and email it to you when I get home. (Post it here, if you wouldn't mind!) THAT IS THE E-TICKET LARGE MACAW ITEM. I bought two of them. I'm definitely stocking up on these things at the next bird show... I keep finding my little birds on these things as well! So everyone will eventually get one.

One of those is pretty much all you need for perch swing/Chew toys.

My Miho loves rope. I buy him the rope hoops. He sits on it and chews it. And he has a cargo net he hangs from when he showers.

Wow! That's great and sure beats the retail price!!

Prepping
Hunter & Sam approved
Attached to Java Tree

IMG_6102.jpg

WOW Wendy, That looks GREAT!! You should start selling them LOL

I'll save the pictures, Thanks for the info

Joe

I know he's not a macaw, but Kiwi loves his rope boing. It wasn't cheap, but worth the investment because he goes nuts on it. I hung a little plastic cup on it and put treats in it, so he'll get on there as a foraging thing too:) I'm so looking forward to seeing your new macaws setup. I bet it will be awesome!

DSC_4646_zps1e3eff82.jpg

That is a GREAT idea, I'm getting a Boing, so I'll add a cup like you did!!
Thank You April, Will let you know when it is done

Joe

my miho loves rope. I buy him the rope hoops. He sits on it and chews it. And he has a cargo net he hangs from when he showers.

cargo nets are da bomb! I've got four of those things in my birdroom...

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back