Macaws Like Rope Perches?

Do Your Large Macaws Like Rope Perches?

• YES

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
my miho loves rope. I buy him the rope hoops. He sits on it and chews it. And he has a cargo net he hangs from when he showers.

cargo nets are da bomb! I've got four of those things in my birdroom...

Definitely on my list of things to hang from my ceiling outside the cage !!
Reading about it, seems like most Macs LOVE the nets

Pacific Fibre and Rope company... Best place to get those.

They actually do custom made cargo nets for the Maritime industry. HOWEVER, they will do one for anyone who wants one. Just tell them you want sissal, and specify a size.

I got mine years ago, but 4x8 cargo nets were about $40 each - where they were well over $100 in the bird stores for something smaller and crappier...

When I was doing my custom playstands, I used to incorporate two cargo nets into each one.

Pacific Fibre and Rope company... Best place to get those.

They actually do custom made cargo nets for the Maritime industry. HOWEVER, they will do one for anyone who wants one. Just tell them you want sissal, and specify a size.

I got mine years ago, but 4x8 cargo nets were about $40 each - where they were well over $100 in the bird stores for something smaller and crappier...

When I was doing my custom playstands, I used to incorporate two cargo nets into each one.

GREAT info man!! I'll make a note about that company

BTW, I just realized you sent me a picture sometime last week (its kind of a funny text MSG), no text just found the pic as a attachment, where do you want me to put it for you?

gw-joe-albums-birdman666-s-album-picture12462-mark.jpg

That was our morning coffee pic. Maggie was scratching Sarah's head at the time. Sarah took a Selfie...

It's already posted.

VERY Nice pic Mark!! LOVE it !!

Did you take the bird with you to get the drinks?

I have three that go out and about, and I have two that really don't like going out of their comfort zone. (They tend to get spooked and fly off in unfamiliar surroundings. Those birds still get outside, but in the tree in my yard, where they feel safe.)

Both my macaws, and my Red Lored amazon are my out and about birds. Those three pretty much always want to come, and If I am going someplace where I can take them, I usually take one of them.

Maggie, even fully flighted (and she is now - but she's recalled!), I can just set her down on the back of a chair, and go in and get my coffee. Come out, and she's right where I left her.

Last night, she went to the laundrymat with me. I just toss her portable playstand in the back of the car, and she stays put on it. While I start the load, and fold clothes. The rest of the time it's her one on one time/play time with me. (And laundry is much less boring that way.)

That is the benefit of startle training, stay put training, and out and about training. I can do stuff like that safely... (Disclaimer: Do the work! If they aren't startle trained, chances are sooner or later you will lose your bird.)

VERY Nice pic Mark!! LOVE it !!

Did you take the bird with you to get the drinks?

I have three that go out and about, and I have two that really don't like going out of their comfort zone. (They tend to get spooked and fly off in unfamiliar surroundings. Those birds still get outside, but in the tree in my yard, where they feel safe.)

Both my macaws, and my Red Lored amazon are my out and about birds. Those three pretty much always want to come, and If I am going someplace where I can take them, I usually take one of them.

Maggie, even fully flighted (and she is now - but she's recalled!), I can just set her down on the back of a chair, and go in and get my coffee. Come out, and she's right where I left her.

Last night, she went to the laundrymat with me. I just toss her portable playstand in the back of the car, and she stays put on it. While I start the load, and fold clothes. The rest of the time it's her one on one time/play time with me. (And laundry is much less boring that way.)

That is the benefit of startle training, stay put training, and out and about training. I can do stuff like that safely... (Disclaimer: Do the work! If they aren't startle trained, chances are sooner or later you will lose your bird.)

I guess the "average" person is kinda shocked to see a GIANT bird on your shoulder huh?
What kind of a portable stand do you have?

I plan on getting my mac out of the house with me as much as possible

WELL, WHAT REALLY FREAKS PEOPLE OUT, IS WHEN I SET HER DOWN ON THE BACK OF A CHAIR AND GO INSIDE AND GET MY COFFEE, AND SHE'S CONTENT TO JUST SIT THERE...

Sorry, caps lock.

I've got a rolling manzanita playstand that I use if we are going out for extended periods. Otherwise, it's just her "human" playstand.

I'm a firm believer in getting them outside. But that's very much a know your bird thing. Birds that startle and/or displacement bite are not good candidates for this...

Macaws, and especially greenwings and Hys are such large and in charge confident birds, that they make really good out and about birds. They are confident enough that they can handle most things with that can opener on their face if it came to that.

Hi Joe, Although you might know this, I'm posting this pic for all viewers to this thread :)
Since some people might use "this" type of rope perch below (I see them sold at most any bird store), I just wanted to point out a little warning... Larger, stronger, or more inquisitive types of birds might actually get their feet or worse, their heads caught through the spaces in the weave of the rope (as you can see what I'm doing with my fingers), and it's fairly easy to do. I have these hanging outside the cages, and supervised, even with birds unlikely to try anything like that. But especially for an active large bird like a macaw, I just wanted to show this type of rope perch and what can happen. :)

Hello Everyone!!

Getting ready for our baby GW to come home in 4-6 weeks, his cage is not the one we wanted for him but there is a space constraint
(he will be out of the cage from the time I wake up till bed)

So its only an A&E 40 X 30, I want to make it fun, But keep it open enough for him to flap and stretch

The point is every square inch has to be used to the best of my ability

Big Question: Do Your large Macs like Rope Perches ?

THANKS!!

Joe

you know the wingspan of a greenwing can be up to 48 inches. if he is a 40 inch cage he wont be able to spread his wings . even if its a bed cage I wouldn't put him in that small of a cage. when ever he flaps his wings are going to hit all side. 48x30 is the smallest a green wing should be in. inless its a temp cage. the breeder i got my blue and gold from said min of 48 inch wide for a blue and gold macaw and you got a green wing which is bigger. but i never owned a macaw so your cage might be fine he just wont be able to stretch his wing till you let him out. love your pics of your green wing. he looks very happy bet you cant wait to bring him home. i hate waiting for my blue and gold its like chrismas when your were a kid but you don't know when it is.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back