Macaws and medium sized parrots

Kourtn.lou5629

Aug 29, 2024
Hey so last time I was here I asked about amazons vs African greys but now Iā€™m asking about macaws I know itā€™s a big step up from the two medium sized parrots but does anyone have any Ideas and experiences on living with macaws as I am aware of how they are big birds and belong in the forests itā€™s just that knowing that you have the opportunity to study its behaviours and have it as a companion is so fascinating but I do know itā€™s a big responsibility donā€™t get me wrong

Iā€™m also not sure if my house is fitted for a great macaw but even if it isnā€™t it would be great to know in then future

I have been owned by my B&G macaw for nearly 50 years. I was a teenager when I got him and I am now a senior citizen. We have been through a lot in life togetherā€”including multiple relocations across the US and overseas. Do not kid yourself. It is a lifetime commitment and one that I would gladly do again BUT I know how fortunate I am to be blessed with a quiet, gentle bird who, despite having been forcibly removed from the rainforest (wild-caught birds were all that was available back then), was eating bananas out of the palm of my hand the day I brought him home.

Every bird is different and you donā€™t know what youā€™ll get until you have one. My bird doesnā€™t make a sound (unless a repairman is in the house, in which case he wakes the dead with his squawks). We know where he is because we can hear his toenails on the floor or hear a soft ā€œcroakā€ every once in a while. He has never bitten anyone (no lie!) and is a huge love bug. ā¤ļø he ADORES sitting on my lap and getting love or sitting on the bathroom cabinet drawer while I get ready. He truly is a flock animal. He wants to be where everyone else is. He has a dedicated chair at the kitchen counter and eats his meals when we eat. He follows me around like a dog. I canā€™t even go to the bathroom without him knocking on the door with his beak to come in! Now I just leave the door ajar and he peeks in before pushing the door open and entering. šŸ„“ His love for my husband is, well, tolerance. No aggression, but no deep love, either. The bird follows him around the house and hangs out with him in the bathroom while he gets ready, but the love ends there. The bird would never accept another pet in the house although he grew up with a big, fluffy Samoyed dog. He requires a big space for his huge cageā€”and the $$$$ investment I made in a high quality stainless steel cage 35 years ago has paid off handsomely as it still looks brand new).

Spontaneous travel is over. You canā€™t easily take him on road trips or flights like you can a dog. I board him with my avian vet when I travel and between that and the required physical, gram stain and psittacosis tests, it adds up!

My bird is very easy to care for, but we are both well-trained! I have my system down! I have clear plastic sheeting in the specific areas where he poops so I can just hose that off, but there are times he misses. Make sure you have tile or stone floors for easy clean up and less chance of destruction. Carpet is a big no-no. My bird loves to pluck the fibers out of carpet or rugs, so do yourself a favor and choose flooring materials carefully!

Whew! That was a long-winded way of saying you never know what youā€™ll get: a screamer, a biter, a lover, a pooper, a peeping tom or a carpet plucker. šŸ˜œ Good luck with your decision!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back