Jenday Conure laying too many eggs?

SpiderPig

Aug 28, 2024
Parrots
Jenday & Sun Conure
Hi Everyone, wondering if you guys might know more about this. I have two hand raised birds, a female jenday & male sun conure (which I thought was female but turned out to be male). The female has been laying about 2-3 eggs then discarding them after a week or two, then she will lay another 2-3 and continue discarding them. I feel she just dosn't know what to do with them after a while and just keeps trying. She has layed maybe 8 eggs these last two months. I'm worried that if she keeps doing this she's going to do herself harm. I've been feeding apple, and egg & biscuit with calcium mixed in, as well as some pellets and a walnut treat once a day.

Should I be separating them or just allow her to continue? Any advice would be great, thankyou.

Matt

YIPES! I know almost nothing about breeding, but I have heard many stories of over-productive hens who hurt themselves, depleting calcium, etc., etc.
I'd say yeah separate until you can figure something else out?
Here are some veterinary options?

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
If none are near you, maybe you could call and ask for a recommendation for somebody in your area.
And... sometimes, distant vets will offer brief thoughts or advice...

Hopefully, you'll get more advice here. Good luck!

Thanks! I have separated her and I'm taking her to the vet today. She's eating well, but is a little unsteady on her feet. :(

I hope your Jenday feels better. I’ve had mine for over 10 years, and she has never laid an egg. I just got a male sun conure 2 years ago. She still hasn’t laid any eggs. That sounds like a lot of eggs to be laying to someone like me. Please do let us know what you find out at the vet.

Most Reactions

Back