JEEPERS! What in the world is going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't see it as rust, because it didn't look scaly. I suppose if it's rusted under the powdercoating it might be a very fine layer.

It didn't see it as rust, because it didn't look scaly. I suppose if it's rusted under the powdercoating it might be a very fine layer.

Light rust isn't scaly, Strudel. I don't think the grey coating is powder coated, either. It's "hammer-tone" paint, powder coated is fairly expensive, although probably the best coating for a cage because the coating reaches places the spraygun can't. I could be wrong though.

Light rust isn't scaly,
I wouldn't know, there are 2 states here, unrusted, and covered..... :D

I've had a (sort-of) quote for getting my cage redone, it's not that bad for powder coating (considering they do a rust treatment/prevention as well).

Powder coating is certainly good, not nearly as good a range of colours as paint, but enough to give a vibrant finish :)

Light rust isn't scaly, Strudel. I don't think the grey coating is powder coated, either. It's "hammer-tone" paint, powder coated is fairly expensive, although probably the best coating for a cage because the coating reaches places the spraygun can't. I could be wrong though.

That is what I was trying to say about the cage before, regarding the powdercoating. Looks like a 'paint' finish. Powder coating is a lot safer than paint finishes, which is why I pointed it out!

It's not important and we've gone way beyond crimsons broken bolt :) but powdercoating can end up with the same sorts of different finish as paint. It's really just a method of applying "paint" but the paint is powder not liquid and it's cooked on instead of sprayed on and left to dry. Powder Coating Products

Something that may be of interest to anyone looking into "cage issues" is something that I've just found out when looking into refurbishing my rusty cage. Just like with paint, the powders are different - some contain zinc, for example. When I discussed it with the powdercoaters, he rattled off the process and after I said that it was for a birdcage, he said they'd use a different powder, without the zinc. It isn't as long-lasting as the "regular" stuff, I can't remember the specifics although I've probably written it down somewhere. Basically (from memory) the normal powdercoating is a rust-resistant zinc based powder but there are alternatives including an acrylic/plastic/something type which doesn't have the same chemicals as the 'normal' stuff. Whether or not the "normal" stuff is a risk if ingested, I've no idea, but it contains zinc.

In a good-quality cage from a reputable supplier, you could be confident that they've used the "good stuff" from a bird's perspective (hope so, anyway), but in an "el cheapo" where the manufacturer isn't known, it could be paint, could be powdercoating, could be the "bad" stuff, could be the "good" stuff.... I don't think you could know what it is or know whether there's any risk.

Luckily, my galah is not a big cage chewer so I don't worry about her too much. If you've got a big "chomper" you'd perhaps need to be more cautious in where you source your bird supplies, including cages, just in case the different products do carry any risk.

now that we have scrutinized this thread to death, I will reserve my comments until I hear back from the manufacturer.

I certainly hope when you make reference as 'YOU", I am sure you are directing it to the 'general owner'....and not me directly.
":you'd perhaps need to be more cautious in where you source your bird supplies, including cages, just in case the different products do carry any risk."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back