Is my male conure sexually frustrated?

LlamaParty

Oct 11, 2024
Parrots
Reggae and Jade
Hello,

A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I adopted another conure. We already had one conure by the name of Reggae who is 8 months old. The other conure we got (gender is unknown but we refer to her as she) was just weaned before we took her home, she is two months.

We kept them in separate areas for a while and followed all the steps to introduce them until we finally got to the point where we were ready for them to meet outside together.

They did really well at first, they cuddled each other and preened for a while, until it seemed as though Reggae started annoying Jade (our newest conure) which led to a fight. We separated them and tried again a few hours later. However, this time Reggae was actively trying to pin Jade (who did not want to be pinned) and would not stop following her around.

I read the conures typically don’t become hormonal until 1 - 3 years, so I wasn’t sure if that was it or if there was something we neglected to do while introducing them?

Reggae hasn’t been super aggressive towards us, but he has been a bit more distant. He doesn’t like us being around him as much, which we respect.

Reggae has been DNA tested and is confirmed to be a male, but Jade has not. Both were hand fed as babies but were adopted from different breeders.

Please ask me any questions if you need information.

Puberty hits on a very sliding scale, depnding on many factors. I've seen conures hit puberty as early as 9 or so months and as late as 18. But that does sound like mating behavior. Note adding a parrot to your flack can sometimes freeze you out of the mix. You can never tell.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back