Is it possible to be allergic to green wing macaws?

hcurab

Aug 15, 2024
Parrots
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
We’ve been around several adult blue and gold macaws with no issues.

I brought home a baby green wing temporarily, and it caused me and my mom to get really bad allergies. Itchiness and hard to breathe.

I’m not sure if it was the pine bedding, because we seemed to have the problem when coming in close contact with the bird itself.

Is this even possible?

We’ve been around several adult blue and gold macaws with no issues.

I brought home a baby green wing temporarily, and it caused me and my mom to get really bad allergies. Itchiness and hard to breathe.

I’m not sure if it was the pine bedding, because we seemed to have the problem when coming in close contact with the bird itself.

Is this even possible?
I am no doctor..
But know a little due to a mother that was a nurse.

Yes it’s possible you are allergic to birds but.
Something tells me something else is going on.

First I would expect allergies not to be species specific.
Allergic to birds, sure.
Allergic to green wing macaws only, IDK

Second.
Both of you are reacting to “something “.
Allergies of course can be genetically passed on I”m sure but what are the odds.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted out soon.

I got allergies too.
Leaves me miserable lots of the time.
And thanks to stupid regulations I can no longer buy the only OTC allergy medicine that really works.

Could it be something in the baby bird formula?
Have you ever used it before?

Could it be something in the baby bird formula?
Have you ever used it before?
I used Kaytee Exact many times with no issues.

The owner temporarily gave me formula in a plastic bag and said it was Kaytee High Fat.

I was also wondering if it was the formula.

It highly unlikely that you would be allergic to one species within a family and not to others. Between say macaws and cockatoos, yes, or Greys and macaws, yes. Greys and cockatoos are different families and both produce a high amount of dust/dander. Within macaws, no. Macaws can even successfully mate with each other, thats how closely related they are. Essentially, it would be like being allergic to blue budgies and not yellow ones. Look elsewhere for your aggravator.

May I ask why you use pine bedding for your parrot? I actually haven’t ever seen that before. I’ve heard that pine shavings can cause sensitivities. I am not well versed on it though as I’ve never used it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back