Introducing a new budgie - advice please

jb11000

Apr 21, 2024
Parrots
Budgie
Hi,

We have had Bruno, an English budgie, for around 4-5 months now (he's 6 months old) and we recently got him a friend (Bobby - a 'normal' budgie, 1 month old). Bruno had settled in very well on his own, he became tame very quickly and spent most of each day out of his cage when we were home in and around the bay window where his cage and play area are set up. He seemed quite happy on his own, very playful and active, however as it was always our intention to have a pair (the breeder didn't have a pair available at the time and advised that we get one bird settled before introducing a second) we decided to still go ahead and get Bobby.

We currently have them in separate cages facing each other in the bay window and after a day or so they looked like they were curious to meet each other so we have let them out to play together a couple of times. They haven't fought or anything like that but Bruno just constantly puffs himself up and pecks or chases Bobby away from whatever perch or toy he shows any interest in. I'm guessing it's territorial as Bruno is used to having the bay window to himself, I have bought new perches and toys so he doesn't necessarily see those as 'his' but he still behaves the same way towards Bobby if he goes near.

All I want to know really is, is this likely to continue as long as they meet in the same area? We haven't really got anywhere else in the house where it would be safe to let them out. Will Bruno chill out eventually and accept Bobby or is he more likely to keep defending his territory? Is there anything else I could try to help them get along? It feels like a shame at the minute because they both seem a little bit stressed by the whole situation.

Thanks
J

Attachments

• Bruno + Bobby 2.jpg
    Bruno + Bobby 2.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Bruno + Bobby.jpg
    Bruno + Bobby.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 7
I don't know budgies, buttt... I love your attitude. God for you for reaching out. While you're waiting for personal, replies, I'd suggest the search engine... it's really helpful. Like... "budgie gets a new friend" or "helping budgies get along"... ?

I don't know budgies, buttt... I love your attitude. God for you for reaching out. While you're waiting for personal, replies, I'd suggest the search engine... it's really helpful. Like... "budgie gets a new friend" or "helping budgies get along"... ?
Thanks for replying. I will try to spend a bit of time having a proper look around here as you say. I have looked through a lot of Google results and a lot of the advice just says "introduce them in neutral territory", but nothing about what to do if you haven't got a suitable neutral place. I'll see what I can find here

As someone who has introduced new budgies to each other several times, it sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Honestly, this is totally normal behavior for introducing new birds! The fact that they aren’t outright fighting is great. Yes, the established bird is most likely going to be a bit territorial and maybe get annoyed or grumpy with the new bird but in my experience they will work it out with a little time. Having separate toys, perches, and food bowls will go a long way in preventing serious squabbles. Every bird is different and while some of my budgies have gotten along perfectly right away, most of them take a couple weeks to a couple of months before they totally bond with each and become true friends. I’ve never had two budgies that truly couldn’t get along; most of them will have occasional bickering matches over a coveted treat or perching spot but such incidents are rare. Mostly, they get along great and I really do feel like budgies are happiest with another bird companion. Keep doing what you’re doing and I think Bruno and Bobby will soon work out the kinks in their relationship and become friends 🙂

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back