Inconsistent droppings

scooter44boo

Sep 13, 2024
Parrots
Budgie- BooWoo
Cockatiel- Scooter
My cockatiel for the past couple of days has had really inconsistent droppings.

Some have a lot of urine, some have cloudy urine, some look like diarrhea splatters with no formed feces, some are more dry and dark green and well formed. I swear every other drooping looks different from the last only minutes apart.

I was told by the vet to try apple cider vinegar for a few days to see if anything clears up and if not I do plan to take him in.

Also I should mention he mainly eats veggies (corn, peas, carrots) but he favors the corn so I have removed that to try to get him to eat something else. I also give him 1/3 tabs of seeds every two days because I cannot for the life of me get him to eat his pellets. So all the water from the veggies is why I think he has more urine and I try to counter act it with the seeds.

Iā€™m getting ACV today but I would love any opinions if this happens to any of you.
IMG_8658.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8671.jpeg
    IMG_8671.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8672.jpeg
    IMG_8672.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 2
My cockatiel for the past couple of days has had really inconsistent droppings.

Some have a lot of urine, some have cloudy urine, some look like diarrhea splatters with no formed feces, some are more dry and dark green and well formed. I swear every other drooping looks different from the last only minutes apart.

I was told by the vet to try apple cider vinegar for a few days to see if anything clears up and if not I do plan to take him in.

Also I should mention he mainly eats veggies (corn, peas, carrots) but he favors the corn so I have removed that to try to get him to eat something else. I also give him 1/3 tabs of seeds every two days because I cannot for the life of me get him to eat his pellets. So all the water from the veggies is why I think he has more urine and I try to counter act it with the seeds.

Iā€™m getting ACV today but I would love any opinions if this happens to any of you. View attachment 61254

It's good that you have plans to have your 'tiel seen if you do have concerns. If you're going to go down the ACV route in the meantime though, it's important to use a brand that contains the "mother culture" for best results. I use a brand called "Bragg" and have had good outcomes with it. Dosage chart is as per below ...

acvdosage.jpg

I have used it on one of my 'tiels who had polyuria for a little while for which his avian vet could find no particular cause, and continue to use it for maintenance every few months.

In terms of getting your boy to eat his pellets, and I have had a VERY stubborn cockatiel in the past who refused them too, you could try crushing them up to a fine powder with a mortar and pestle and sprinkling that over his chop. Then you grind them less finely over a period of about a week or so, just to get him accustomed to the taste and texture until finally you can feed them whole. I did that with my stubborn girl after all other methods failed and it worked a treat!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back