I need tips on trust

Khiyah2021

May 28, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have had my green cheek conure since late last year in that time I have earned my birds trust somewhat like he sits on my shoulder now and grooms me sometimes he will eat from my hand but I canā€™t pet or do anything really from my hand I have tried treats and didnā€™t thing like that my dads girlfriend has a green cheek conure and my green cheek was raised with other birds not people so he progressed but what else should I be trying?

I have had my green cheek conure since late last year in that time I have earned my birds trust somewhat like he sits on my shoulder now and grooms me sometimes he will eat from my hand but I canā€™t pet or do anything really from my hand I have tried treats and didnā€™t thing like that my dads girlfriend has a green cheek conure and my green cheek was raised with other birds not people so he progressed but what else should I be trying?
Does you conure step up when you ask him? Do they allow you to do target training or are they too timid? Sometimes conures are scared in painted nails, brackets, jewelry or any accessories.

Building a trust with a parrot can take time. It can be as fast as a few weeks or as slow as a few years. For some parrots it takes a while for them to fully trust you. A friend of mine got a conure from a pet store and it took almost a year and a half for it to fully trust them. All birds are different. I would sit next to it cage and feed it through the cage (millet, treats etc). Birds love routines!! If he allows you make a routine with him it helps form a bond with you and as well make tlhim feel secure . And lastly never force your bird to do anything. It takes time and if you rush him you can lose trust.
Just some tips i considered when i first got my sun conure. :)

Does you conure step up when you ask him? Do they allow you to do target training or are they too timid? Sometimes conures are scared in painted nails, brackets, jewelry or any accessories.

Building a trust with a parrot can take time. It can be as fast as a few weeks or as slow as a few years. For some parrots it takes a while for them to fully trust you. A friend of mine got a conure from a pet store and it took almost a year and a half for it to fully trust them. All birds are different. I would sit next to it cage and feed it through the cage (millet, treats etc). Birds love routines!! If he allows you make a routine with him it helps form a bond with you and as well make tlhim feel secure . And lastly never force your bird to do anything. It takes time and if you rush him you can lose trust.
Just some tips i considered when i first got my sun conure. :)
Sometimes he will step up but itā€™s easy when my dads girlfriends bird isnā€™t there cause when petri sees thereā€™s another bird in the house he wonā€™t do anything me he is about 1-2 years old he has come along way but wonā€™t let me do thing when other birds are around

Sometimes he will step up but itā€™s easy when my dads girlfriends bird isnā€™t there cause when petri sees thereā€™s another bird in the house he wonā€™t do anything me he is about 1-2 years old he has come along way but wonā€™t let me do thing when other birds are around
No he tryā€™s to bite the wooden stick I bought from the store

Oohh, okay got it. How often is you dad girlfriends bird over? If you don't mind me asking. Does it live with your bird?
As for the target training, him biting it is something! He is acknowledge the stick. Maybe move the stick a little further away so he could just barley touch/ bite it and when he does immediately reward him. Training is hard but consistency is key :)

Oohh, okay got it. How often is you dad girlfriends bird over? If you don't mind me asking. Does it live with your bird?
As for the target training, him biting it is something! He is acknowledge the stick. Maybe move the stick a little further away so he could just barley touch/ bite it and when he does immediately reward him. Training is hard but consistency is key :)
Every weekend no she Dosent bring her bird over intill Friday to late Sunday evening my bird petri is by himself Monday to Thursday he donā€™t have any other birds thru the week my bird will eat out of my hand but he bites me not hard but I was attacked by my dads girlfriends bird and I am terrified off it hurting cause it hurts

Most Reactions

Back