I need help in figuring out which bird should i get.

vat12132

Jun 18, 2024
Hi guys,
I am new on this forum And I am thinking of getting either a sun conure or cockatiel. And I am not very sure if I should get hand feeding chicks or hand tamed ones. As the places I have been to are recommending different things. Like one guy is saying you should not get hand feeding chicks as they will not survive the heat and the other one was saying that it will.
TYSM in advance

Let get a little information first.
Where in the world are you?
Are you still in school of one kind or another?
Do you live in an apartment or house?

Sun conures are not the ideal apartment parrot. ALl parrots are loud, but the natural sun conure call is a piercing high pitched one that will reverberate in closed space and your neighbors may (strongly) complain.

Hi there. Welcome! I myself don’t recommend parrots as pets. Yes, there are great parrot owners (slaves to parrots). They understand their role, and place. Parrots are so much work, and take a substantial amount of time to care for. If you don’t spend time with them they can be rather difficult to handle when you do take them out of their cage. I can’t count how many times I seen a parrot at a shelter that was taken out of their cage a few times a year. Then their owners wonder why they got bit. It’s because the parrot is scared, and isn’t used to being “handled”. In an essence they aren’t domesticated in those situations. They can pick random people to imprint on (at times they refuse to interact with anyone else nicely). They can be hormonal especially in spring. Being bit by a parrot regardless of the parrots size hurts. All 3 of my parrots want out of their cages all day everyday. Parrots can be incredibly rude to strangers (guests). Loud doesn’t even begin to describe my sun & jenday. They scream just to hear themselves scream. Some parrots have long lifespans. Some people get parrots before they have kids, and then learn that parrots don’t exactly like screaming children (depending on the parrots preference). I have a parrot that I’d guess has the intelligence of a toddler. He sucks up a large amount of my time.

I know I’m being a Debbie downer. I don’t mean to come across rude. Parrots are great pets for people who can deal with the above, and really don’t care. Some people know exactly what they are getting into, and they don’t mind. I just try to save people from taking on something they don’t have time for, or have no idea what they are truly getting into.

I live in India…not in school, I live in an apartment
Is this ur 1st parrot pet vat12132? Will be easier to suggest after knowing this.

I am from Delhi and after living with varied pet birds for over 40 years I can promise you that rarely you will find ethical breeders/sellers. So better not too listen to them. Listen to advice from members of this sorta forum only. You may not hear what you like, sometimes rudely so, but it will be, usually , the truth. :)

If you live in an apartment, don't get a sun conure.
"That's all I really have to say about that" - The great genius Forrest Gump circa 1994.

Is this ur 1st parrot pet vat12132? Will be easier to suggest after knowing this.

I am from Delhi and after living with varied pet birds for over 40 years I can promise you that rarely you will find ethical breeders/sellers. So better not too listen to them. Listen to advice from members of this sorta forum only. You may not hear what you like, sometimes rudely so, but it will be, usually , the truth. :)
Yes it’s my first parrot

Cockatiels are a good species to have. JUst their power they produce can cause allergies in some people. Green cheek conures are good, too :) They can be nippy, though, but are super cuddly birds.

Thank you so much everyone for helping me out…I got a pair of cockatiels pls help me to tame them.

Thank you so much everyone for helping me out…I got a pair of cockatiels pls help me to tame them.
Good choice. 👍 congratulations
Training is a slow and continuous process. Start with making the birds comfy with you first. Feed them as often by your hand as possible.

Congrats on the new additions! :D. As Kiwi&Zeus said, take it slow. Feed them by hand, usually their favorite treat, whenever you are by their cage. JUst hang out with them by doing work or reading beside their cage(s). It can take as long as a year for some birds to fully trust you :) . Patience is key!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back