i cant believe i'm asking this!

just adding my 2 cents worth. I bought a 6 month old hand fed hand tame quaker parrot in January and he or she in an absolute doll. very freindly loves to give kisses and be cuddled and petted. he also loves to play with his toys. he does have two or three short times a day when he yells but it is usually when beating up his favorite toy or talking to the birds or golfers that he sees through the sliding door. as far as noise goes it can be slightly loud but is not high pitched and doesn't hurt my ears like the sun cunure did when he yelled in my ear at disney land. if legal in your state I vote quaker they are lovebugs. :D Alison and Sweetie Pie

Thank you! That's just what I was looking for hopefully mine will be just as sweet, do you have any tips for socializing? BTW they are legal in my state :)

I'd say a Pionus!! You get a medium sized bird that isn't very loud, but can pick up words and whistles, and a sweet tempermeant all in one!!

I do love pionuses but i dont think my budget covers it, and I'm looking for something a bit more playful, thank you for your input though :)

I really like the Meyers! BUT I loved my Quaker though, he was one of the smartest and playful bird I've ever owned!!! They can be noisy. I do however love Cockatiels very much as well since I've raised many of them. Lovebirds are wonderful, but they don't play well with others. Senegal can be bitty like it's been mentioned. IF you can stand the messiness of Lory, a Black Lory is stunning and very comical!!!! But they are diet specific and they DO NOT play well with others. They also have high pitch scream that can make you deaf if they scream by your ears....lol....If you look at videos of them on Youtube, you can see they're super playful birds!!! Just be warned, they're super messy birds!!!!

Believe me Mikey, if I only I could get a black lory, I would die for one, they just seem so rare I dont know if I could find one, where did you get yours? Also how often do they vocalize and are they cuddly? thank you!

I am voting for a cockatiel. You are young and may possibly have good intentions now and getting and caring for a Quaker or gcc or something similar but those birds are BIG commitments! 30 years of having a screaming biting 2 year old that you can't push aside when after school activities, boys and dating and college come around. I waited until I was 28 to have my sun conure and I am still overwhelmed at the amount of time JJ requires.

A cockatiel or budgie would be a better choice for you at this point in your life. Once you are older and more settled I am sure a Quaker or gcc would be a wonderful choice for you.

I have to second the lory if you can find one. We got one and shes everything you want...cuddly, sweet, playful and so beautiful! Good luck in your decision.

Believe me Mikey, if I only I could get a black lory, I would die for one, they just seem so rare I dont know if I could find one, where did you get yours? Also how often do they vocalize and are they cuddly? thank you!

Mine yaps all day long pretty much. He mainly mumbles and make funny noise. He loves to cuddle!!!!! Super sweet and gentle. I got mine at the bird fair, he came from a breeder in FL.

How about a cockatiel? They are relatively quite and nice birds.

i disagree, i owned a cockatiel and it was the loudest bird ever, it shrieked and whistled all day long. my sun and blue crowned conures are 100x quieter

How about a cockatiel? They are relatively quite and nice birds.

i disagree, i owned a cockatiel and it was the loudest bird ever, it shrieked and whistled all day long. my sun and blue crowned conures are 100x quieter

I would disagree with you there! The two conures I used to have and the ones people try to give me that I refused, they were ALL very noisy to the point of driving me nuts. My Cockatiels on the other hand did not make me feel that way.

Mabey get an Indian Ringneck but they do go through bluffing which is a pretty bad biting stage but after they are gentle and very playful and females are very cuddly.

I think at 14 years old a cockatiel is a wonderful choice for the OP. Life happens, and especially for teenagers, she may have the best of intentions at the start but life happens and a cockatiel would be the best fit for the situation, IMHO.

I had 2 cockatiels and they were very quiet and loving birds and went to anyone and everyone learned to whistle and were just wonderful birds all around with great and stable temperments.

Thank you so much for your replies, jewels I understand where your coming from and I have taken it into consideration, I understand that the bird comes first and that I will have it until I am 40, like you said life happens, I promise you I won't get any bird until I am beyond positive it will be happy and healthy no matter what, and that its whole life will be the best it can be and no matter what, I will put the bird first. I appreciate your concern, also it's great to hear you got your bird, I know 2 years isn't the same as 28 years, but I know your joy, birds are better when you've waited a long time for them :) I don't think I would be prepared to get a bird if I got one the first time I asked, all this waiting has given me time to learn how to give my birds the best life possible :) that being said, I held the sweetest pionus at the store today, plus my dad is ok with the Quakers loud voice, now I can't make up my mind :rolleyes:!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back