Getting a GCC friday, some questions

You could also get a stand perch/playtop that you use to keep the bird around during social times but keep the cage elsewhere (I have a play-stand that I cart around all of the time). The issue is, if your bird unexpectedly takes flight while you are cooking or something.

I do not feed my bird from my plate, but when eating with her out of her cage (which is 100% of the time for me) I always make sure she has something to eat as well (banana, lettuce etc..) If she complains/begs, I draw her attention to the "special items" I have given her and ignore the begging. She doesn't do it like she used to, so it has worked. Don't ever reward obnoxious behavior. It will increase if you do.

Last thought for now- it is possible that when you get the bird initially, it will pick one of you as its preferred person. Usually, with equal exposure and socialization this can be fixed, but it does take time. Just make sure you and your boyfriend discuss that possibility and don't take it personally if the bird appears to dislike one of you. You can't give up or give in if that happens.
The play stand might not be a bad idea, the question is if the bird will be willing to stay put.

I'm generally pretty good about not rewarding obnoxious behaviour. My parakeet was a learning experience for sure because he wanted to be with me 24/7, was a food stealer, a screamer, etc. The past year I had made a lot of progress with him and we both had learned a lot. He really got to be an independent and happier bird when he learned how to occupy himself. I just wish I knew how he died :(

Just picked up the burdie, on our way home now!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back