Does anyone ever live in an apartment with a Sun Conure

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
New York
Parrots
I Sun Conure who hatched March 23. 2004. I adopted her on May 8, 2005
I had a Quaker Parrot named Nikki who lived for 19 years
I grew up with Budgerigars named Screech, Zoar and Blue Baby
Please note I already have a 20-year-old sun conure.

I am curious to know because at some point, my living situation will change, and I will not be living in a house but an apartment of some sort.

I don't want to have to give her up. She is not a screamer and is quiet most of the time. This has been said by people who don't keep birds.

She only gets loud when I vacuum or if she sees something outside. I seriously lucked with this bird. She chirps. However, everyone says that sun conures and apartments don't mix.

Has anyone ever lived in an apartment with a Sun Conure? I just need to know that this is possible.

This has been making me worry.

Last edited:
I lived in an apartment for a few years with 2 amazon parrots.
A no pets apartment.
I never got in trouble but I did worry about it some.

my birds for the most part make noise in the morning and evening. You can adjust that some so the noisy times occur when most of the tenants are out.

this was in the very beginning of my/our parrotā€¦.. obsession.
we knew NOTHING about parrots.
we didnā€™t realize how noisy they could be.
every time they would scream we would run over to them trying to get them to calm down.
fun times back in the mid 80ā€™s.

I did for a year. I would say it really depends on your neighbors. If you have a hateful Keren next door like me then it's won't last.
If it's not the type that has internal hallways, and you get an end apartment, so you share only one wall with one neighbor, are things I would look for.

I adopted a sun conure from someone who didnā€™t have a choice but to give him up. Sun conures consistently contact call (scream). Itā€™s how they communicate in their flocks. They are very social. You can distract with toys, and such. However nothing completely gets rid of the screaming. If itā€™s something you are worried about Iā€™d advise against getting a sun, or jenday conure. They are the loudest of the bunch.

I adopted a sun conure from someone who didnā€™t have a choice but to give him up. Sun conures consistently contact call (scream). Itā€™s how they communicate in their flocks. They are very social. You can distract with toys, and such. However nothing completely gets rid of the screaming. If itā€™s something you are worried about Iā€™d advise against getting a sun, or jenday conure. They are the loudest of the bunch.
But I have one now. I have had her 19 years. She was always a quiet bird. Can I assume she will stay that way?

But I have one now. I have had her 19 years. She was always a quiet bird. Can I assume she will stay that way?
I myself lived in an apartment with my Jenday. I bought her from a store back when the internet wasnā€™t so readily available. The store representative was a kid going to college, and this was their summer job. Needless to say they knew nothing about the actual parrot I was buying. This was the blind leading the blind type of situation.

I had so many complaints from the people that lived in the apartment. In all actuality the apartment complex tried to get rid of the loud bird (that they thought was an outdoor bird landing on the tree outside of my window) šŸ˜‚. So they cut down the tree. The one guy in the apartment building couldnā€™t stand the bird screams and complained a lot. It was my Jenday that was indoor that I was trying to hide because I didnā€™t want to give her up. I only had a few more months before I closed on my house. I had to make it work. I was almost there. They would have eventually discovered I had a hidden parrot. I would have been forced to give her up.

We the owners of our parrots are used to their screams. I donā€™t think twice about how loud my parrots are because Iā€™m so used to it. The people who come over kindly remind me. Even if you have a conure who doesnā€™t scream as often as usual. Their screams are still loud when they do. I would talk to the landlord or owner of the apartment to be transparent that you have a parrot that could be potentially loud (even minimally) to get their feedback. Itā€™s up to you completely I am just giving you my terrible experience in an apartment so you have a perspective of what can go wrong. I was there šŸ˜¢

I did for a year. I would say it really depends on your neighbors. If you have a hateful Keren next door like me then it's won't last.
If it's not the type that has internal hallways, and you get an end apartment, so you share only one wall with one neighbor, are things I would look for.

How was it living with your Sun for a year? Did people complain a lot?

I would talk to the landlord or owner of the apartment to be transparent that you have a parrot that could be potentially loud (even minimally) to get their feedback. Itā€™s up to you completely I am just giving you my terrible experience in an apartment so you have a perspective of what can go wrong. I was there šŸ˜¢

I would completely disclose upfront that I have a parrot. I would want to move into a pet-friendly complex. I know of some people who moved into a complex that didn't allow pets and just kind of snuck their birds in. I would never do that.

For all I know, she could pass on by the time I have to move out of the house I am living in, but if not, I will have to take her with me.

I feel really stupid and like a loser because when I adopted her, I was very young and thought I would be in a way better place financially.

I guess I will have to prepare myself mentally in case I have to rehome her. I hope it doesn't come to that, though. The thought of that makes me cry.

Last edited:
It was great at first. My others neighbors meet Phoenix and loved him. It wasn't until the hateful Keren found out via Phoenix outside sun basking time where the noise was coming from.
20220327_170052.jpg
20220327_170050.jpg

Then the complaints started rolling in and I was given the ultimatum from the apartments, lose the bird or move.
I ended up giving Phoenix to my daughter because I was in no shape to move financially.

It was great at first. My others neighbors meet Phoenix and loved him. It wasn't until the hateful Keren found out via Phoenix outside sun basking time where the noise was coming from.
View attachment 59610View attachment 59611

Then the complaints started rolling in and I was given the ultimatum from the apartments, lose the bird or move.
I ended up giving Phoenix to my daughter because I was in no shape to move financially.
You are lucky you have someone to give her to. I have no one. I hope I am not forced ever to give her up.

Agree with the other people it's more dependant on your neighbor I think, been living with a ringneck for a month a year with a cockatiel before that no complaints here also have a budgie and lovebird that have been with us for about 5ish years but they are pretty quiet also helps if the neighbors have birds to lol got lucky here

Agree with the other people it's more dependant on your neighbor I think, been living with a ringneck for a month a year with a cockatiel before that no complaints here also have a budgie and lovebird that have been with us for about 5ish years but they are pretty quiet also helps if the neighbors have birds to lol got lucky here

However, budgies, lovebirds, and cockatiels don't have a bad reputation like Suns. Are ringnecks loud?

I used to have a Quaker who was buddies with my Sun. The Quaker was definitely noiser. Everything thought that the Sun would keep her quiet. Nope?

My Sun was always quiet, so I worried something was wrong with her. She hardly made noise. After my Quaker passed away, I thought she should compensate for the lack of noise, but she really hasn't. That's the only thing I have going for me.

I lived in two apartments with my jenday (closely related to suns, and QUITE loud) back in college. It was a very temporary situation, personally after college I opted to just pay rent to my mom so I could live in a home and she's a fantastic roomie so I haven't been very motivated to move out, but anyway.

I will toss a coin in the "depends on your neighbor" bucket. In my case, my first apartment was a campus apartment and all of my neighbors were students--I rarely saw them, but if we did happen to be getting home at the same time, they occasionally asked how my bird was doing, and that's the only acknowledgement that I ever got from them that I had a noise machine in my home. I think only one wall of my apartment was shared with another apartment--it was a weird layout that was kind of almost more like a condo, and my door opened to the outside, not to a hallway.

My next apartment was a similar situation. It was the upstairs floor of a small house, and I rarely saw my downstairs neighbor, an older lady. She never even mentioned my bird because she was too busy being passive aggressive about the fact that I brought in the stray cat she'd been feeding and got her fixed and adopted her. If her moaning was to be believed, that cat was the only thing between her and the dark abyss of inescapable loneliness... I mean, that neighborhood had like 50 other strays at any given time, but I digress.

I was told up and down not to get a conure in college because apartment life wasn't suited to them. And I don't disagree, exactly, there's a lot of risks with trying to get a bird like a jenday/sun when you don't have permanent housing that you know will allow the bird, which is exactly the situation a college kid is in. But I fell in love with Birdie and I have no regrets, and frankly she's the loudest creature I've ever met, so if it worked for me I don't see why it wouldn't for you? You already have the bird, it's not as if you're asking if you should get one. Any apartment has the potential to come with nasty, passive aggressive neighbors who could report you to your landlord for any number of things, and a bird does give that person ammo, but it's just as possible that your neighbors won't care.

Also, I don't think there's any reason to believe that your bird will suddenly become loud. The stress of moving might inspire her to discover her voice, but if you've moved with her before and she never coped with noise then I don't see why she would this time.

I am curious to know because at some point, my living situation will change, and I will not be living in a house but an apartment of some sort.

I don't want to have to give her up. She is not a screamer and is quiet most of the time. This has been said by people who don't keep birds.

She only gets loud when I vacuum or if she sees something outside. I seriously lucked with this bird. She chirps. However, everyone says that sun conures and apartments don't mix.

Has anyone ever lived in an apartment with a Sun Conure? I just need to know that this is possible.

This definitely depends on the area and your neighbors. I lived with a Quaker and a conure, btw I have a nanday conure which is probably the loudest parrot to exist, way louder than the big birds and the loudest of conures. But he also is on the quieter side, yea when he screams heā€™s very loud but doesnā€™t talk all day. My Quaker however made noise all.day.long. And I never had a problem, but my neighbors also make noise and itā€™s not a stuck up area either so that could also be why no one cares.
I think youā€™ll be fine since a screech twice a day shouldnā€™t be enough to bother anyone. But if your bird gets upset when you leave or extra excited when you come home then make sure theyā€™re out away before hand

Try covering the cage with a sheet when you vacuum, see if that helps.

Hi
I along with my family have lived with a sun conure for 4 years in a spacious apartment with balconies and had no problem with my pet. You will have to make certain decisions about the areas your bird will be in during certain times of day, depending upon your exact situation. In fact you may find that your relationship with your conure has improved cause in an apartment you will be closer to your pet as compared to a house.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back