Can adult GCCs eat dry formula without problems?

CasaDeMouse

May 17, 2024
Parrots
Thom and Caroline - Pineapple-blend GCCs
Gerry - Black Cap GCC
Weird question, but kind of a continuation of the accidental Grand-parrontage I find myself in.

The vet had a cancelation and was able to see me early.

It turns out my parronts don't know not to feed solid food to their babies. They were eating and immediately regurgitating it into their babies' mouths, which is why their crops were getting huge. They were getting hard because the parronts weren't providing much moisture, which is why the crop and abdominal massages were having limited effect on their hardening crops and abdomen.

My vet wants me to hand feed the babies but doesn't necessarily want me to cut out mom and dad. So, I went to go mix the formula and mom and dad IMMEDIATELY started eating it as soon as I opened it. (I think they remember it from the long, long ago of 2 years ago when they were sent to me.)

I mean, clearly not ideal and if it was made up into proper formula I'd know it was more of a hyper- vimatminosis, mineralization situation since they aren't sick.

But it's dry and they just really, really want to eat it.

Is the dry formula dangerous to them?

im obviously not going to encourage the behavior or going to internally let them eat it. But if they do eat it, are they going to get sick? Anything I should watch for? They otherwise ly got a couple beakfuls before I could get them both off and the lid back on and the cup (I was making up the formula for the grandbabies) covered.

Thanks in advance!

When I bred cockatiels and green cheek conures, I would sprinkle dry hand feeding formula over their soft food. It's good for them if they're breeding and good for the parents, as long as they're raising chicks :)

When I bred cockatiels and green cheek conures, I would sprinkle dry hand feeding formula over their soft food. It's good for them if they're breeding and good for the parents, as long as they're raising chicks :)
Thank you so much! The vet actually confirmed this after you posted, tooz calling after-hours. I had a question about that and the rusty 💩 color from only one of them.

🙏 Thank you again for answering! 🙏

Weird question, but kind of a continuation of the accidental Grand-parrontage I find myself in.

The vet had a cancelation and was able to see me early.

It turns out my parronts don't know not to feed solid food to their babies. They were eating and immediately regurgitating it into their babies' mouths, which is why their crops were getting huge. They were getting hard because the parronts weren't providing much moisture, which is why the crop and abdominal massages were having limited effect on their hardening crops and abdomen.

My vet wants me to hand feed the babies but doesn't necessarily want me to cut out mom and dad. So, I went to go mix the formula and mom and dad IMMEDIATELY started eating it as soon as I opened it. (I think they remember it from the long, long ago of 2 years ago when they were sent to me.)

I mean, clearly not ideal and if it was made up into proper formula I'd know it was more of a hyper- vimatminosis, mineralization situation since they aren't sick.

But it's dry and they just really, really want to eat it.

Is the dry formula dangerous to them?

im obviously not going to encourage the behavior or going to internally let them eat it. But if they do eat it, are they going to get sick? Anything I should watch for? They otherwise ly got a couple beakfuls before I could get them both off and the lid back on and the cup (I was making up the formula for the grandbabies) covered.

Thanks in advance!
We helped out mom with a baby formula made by Kaytee called Exact. Even the mom and dad liked it , they did great on it.

We helped out mom with a baby formula made by Kaytee called Exact. Even the mom and dad liked it , they did great on it.
That's the one we've been using! It's the only thing that keeps them from eating the soil haha

Should not hurt them to eat it dry - IN MODERATION! With parrots its always in moderation. 1 peanut would hurt them. An unlimited diet of them can!

Most Reactions

Back