Cage size for an Eclectus-sized parrot?

Kiwibird: I love that! I saw it but for whatever reason I didn't look at the details.
I'd like to say that whatever cage I get is pretty much going to be a "sleep cage" but that's just because I'm also going to have a play stand, and since I'm home all day every day (I don't work) there's no reason for my birds to be locked up! (Unless they're misbehaving.. then a time-out would be appropriate!)
Really the longest I'm ever gone is if I go out at night for some bowling(which is a once-a-week thing) and then doctors appointments, the infrequent special occasion, and then we don't ever go anywhere for vacation.. so we don't travel.

But of course I'm going to get an appropriate sized cage JUST IN CASE something comes up and I have to be gone for several hours at any time..
I'll show these to my boyfriend when he gets home and see what he thinks :)

Figure you'll be spending between $300-$500 for a suitable large parrot cage. Keep in mind though, it is pretty much a one time purchase. You have to try very hard to destroy a parrot cage, so it's worth it to invest in a nice one with all the features you want.

I found this one on amazon, and it's a super good price- Amazon.com: Petco Designer Mink Brown Standing Parrot Cage: Pet Supplies

For a medium-large parrot, this is an acceptable size provided they will be out of it a lot. Kiwi's cage is roughly this size, but he also has a huge play stand that's about the size of his cage and is out of his his cage more than he's in it.

For a bird that will be in their cage for hours at a time each day, something this size would be more appropriate so the bird has more room-

Amazon.com: Extra Large Wrought Iron Bird Cage Parrot Cages Macaw Dometop 40"x30"x67" *Egg Shell White*: Pet Supplies

IMO, that Petco cage is fantastic for small parrots but not suitable for large ones. The picture of the grey next to it in the as is shrunk down to make it look bigger. I had it for a corella I fostered and it was really too small. Even a few inches of width makes a HUGE difference. You wouldn't think a 36" cage would "feel" that much bigger than a 30" one but it totally does. Just my two cents.

Actually, the cage I linked to (the brown one) is 38.2 X 38.2, so IMO, a reasonable size for a large parrot. Perhaps the one you had was a smaller version?

Actually, the cage I linked to (the brown one) is 38.2 X 38.2, so IMO, a reasonable size for a large parrot. Perhaps the one you had was a smaller version?

The cage in the first link is in fact 30" X 30". It's 38.2" WITH the seed guards.

The cage in the first link is in fact 30" X 30". It's 38.2" WITH the seed guards.

Yep, just what I was going to say. There is only one version of this cage. I've personally used it for a bird of the size in question and it barely gave her any room to move around. Even just arranging perches and trying to fit a toy or two in it was difficult. I do love this cage, just not for medium/large birds! I wish they made a wider version of it.

I found this one and I really like it for some reason. Input? It just not as long as the dimensions mentioned above by a few inches. Also I'm having a hard time finding something in between this size or smaller for $120-$160 and then the HUGE corner cages for $500+.. seems like a pretty big jump haha.. If anyone wants to throw out some websites they've ordered cages and/or toys from feel free! :)

Amazon.com: New Large Wrought Iron Bird Parrot Cage Double Ladders Open/Close Play Top, Include Seed Guard and Play Top *Black Hammertone*: Pet Supplies

I had to view it a second time....the size is too small after reading details...I was about to say too good to be true at that price....

Last edited:
What about this? I haven't ever measured my cage but it looks similar in size. It doesn't have the play top but has the open top.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLQDBDK?cache=d31f9e0093fc99147429891d53353365#ref=pd_aw_sbs_petsupplies_3]Bird Parrot Cage Macaw Cockatoo African Grey Q24-2822:Amazon:pet Supplies[/ame]

Have you checked your local Craigslist, Sterling? I see CRAZY deals on there sometimes on used cages in excellent condition. Unfortunately none of them are ever by me. It's pretty much your only hope of finding a big enough cage for under $400-500.

Also, you might want to keep your eye out for ekkies or other parrots up for rehome who come with cages already. Assuming the cage is suitable, you can save a lot of money that way.

Drifter: I check craigslist daily(refreshing throughout the day). All the ones I can find are too small, too expensive or in bad condition.
I don't know if you saw my thread late last night about a certain cage I was thinking about, but he didn't send the dimensions when asked and I was basing off the picture but I realized not only was it too small for $150 but he covered it with SPRAY PAINT... and I'm not worried about my birds chewing on the bars but I'm not putting them in a cage that is toxic if they decide to.

This one is from like two months ago but maybe it's still available... do you think it's worth the size/price with a proper cleaning?

Large Bird Cage

Oh.. I'm awful at visual comparison. Even with dimensions I still get my measuring tape to get a good feel of the size of the cage.. hah.

I've seen the postings, and a couple for an african gray, cockatoos, and some other birds.. but I don't have the money for a bird right now. I can spare $200 ish for a cage this week but really I'm waiting for my tax refund to get the bird itself.

Also I have an appointment at 11 on Tuesday with a bird sanctuary to meet some of the parrots and go over my adoption application.

Maybe with careful saving I'd have enough before taxes come back, but it would still be within a week or two anyway.

I really appreciate all the help though :)

Here is the petco cage being sold for $100. I still think it is too small, but it isn't the worst. It's passable if the bird is out most of the day. And $100 is a great price! Bird Cage for Larger Breeds

(It says the bird who was in it died, though, so I'd ask what the cause was and then sanitize the crap out of it).

Shot em an email, might as well. Also asked the location. If they're in the mid-cities area it could be pretty far from me XD

Maybe I can try to talk to one of the posters of the parrots and convince them that I'm trustworthy enough to pay them the rest of what they're wanting for their parrot when I get my tax return... but I doubt it, with as awful and scammy as people can be. :(

I have 5 of those Petco cages. They're nice and roomy for the price. My dusky conures, Ecclectus, Amazon and CAG are housed in them, and I'm planning on getting another one for my Caique, as his cage is way too small for him.

Drifter: I check craigslist daily(refreshing throughout the day). All the ones I can find are too small, too expensive or in bad condition.
I don't know if you saw my thread late last night about a certain cage I was thinking about, but he didn't send the dimensions when asked and I was basing off the picture but I realized not only was it too small for $150 but he covered it with SPRAY PAINT... and I'm not worried about my birds chewing on the bars but I'm not putting them in a cage that is toxic if they decide to.

This one is from like two months ago but maybe it's still available... do you think it's worth the size/price with a proper cleaning?

Large Bird Cage

Overly priced cage again! That cage is made for mainly smaller parrots such as Cockatiels, Parakeets, Conures, Senegal, etc.

See, Mikey and Drifter: This is why I post stuff on here so much.. because otherwise I'd end up paying way too much for something that just isn't worth it. I promise one day I'll get the hang of this "big parrot thing" and I'll be able to look at cages/toys and say "No, too small.. Too much of a gap.. not deep enough.." and whatnot.

Gotta learn hehe. :D

Most Reactions

Back